BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
gimpm3
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, F25 35i M Sport

Water leaking from overhead console - vid inside

Hi xbimmers,

I'm going to bring our x3 35i in for service for water leaking from the overhead console. When it rains, water will pool in the overhead console and when you turn (either left or right) the water will then leak out.

I've done a search on the forums and I can't seem to find anyone else who has had a similar problem.

I've attached a couple of videos to show you visually what's going on.

My guess is it has to do with the water drains being clogged. Does anyone know where these are on the x3?

What are your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

https://vimeo.com/184393483
https://vimeo.com/184393485
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
ridgetopboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3, 2009 E93

Sunroof drain unclogging

Had the same exact thing happening on our 2007 X3. Sunroof drains clogged so I cleared both front and rear drain tubes.

Front drain tubes come out of the bottom sills under the car sort of where the front door seam is. Their problem is that they make a 90 degree bend right at the exit making a great place to clog. I first used a nylon tywrap (they are flexible so as not to puncture the drain tube, use the pointy end) to dislodge some the clog from the that bottom elbow. Open the sunroof the drains are in the corners. I was then able to use my air compressor with a rubber tip nozzle to blow them out from the top. and I started with just 10 lbs of pressure then worked my way up in pressure when I was certain the air and the clogging junk was expelling from the exit holes.

The back drains required a bit more effort since I could not seem to be able to blow them out fro the top. What I did was take the rear side panel off. Behind it you'll see the drain tube running vertically down. I cut it and blew air in both directions then used black duct tape to reconnect the cut ends (it is under no pressure just a gravity drain). Worked like a champ.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

That's the optional water filter option. You just hold your cup above it and get water like a water cooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgetopboy View Post
Had the same exact thing happening on our 2007 X3. Sunroof drains clogged so I cleared both front and rear drain tubes.

Front drain tubes come out of the bottom sills under the car sort of where the front door seam is. Their problem is that they make a 90 degree bend right at the exit making a great place to clog. I first used a nylon tywrap (they are flexible so as not to puncture the drain tube, use the pointy end) to dislodge some the clog from the that bottom elbow. Open the sunroof the drains are in the corners. I was then able to use my air compressor with a rubber tip nozzle to blow them out from the top. and I started with just 10 lbs of pressure then worked my way up in pressure when I was certain the air and the clogging junk was expelling from the exit holes.

The back drains required a bit more effort since I could not seem to be able to blow them out fro the top. What I did was take the rear side panel off. Behind it you'll see the drain tube running vertically down. I cut it and blew air in both directions then used black duct tape to reconnect the cut ends (it is under no pressure just a gravity drain). Worked like a champ.
Yep, this is exactly what was going on in my '11 X3. I ended up taking it to the dealer (warranty) and they managed to get it sorted out pretty quickly.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0