BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
J+J
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 X3

Buy Warranty vs. Trade Up?

Greetings! New guy here. My fiancee' loves her '09/67K mi ...

She replaced the power steering pump a few months back (big $$$) and now we're getting a shudder while accelerating from stop or overtaking while at speed. If I were to go by the info here, it's probably a tranny issue. We waited too long to service it after the 'service engine' light came on, but it's due in the shop in a few days.

We'd like to save money, since we're mostly happy with her ride. We're also kinda pumped about a new one. We might keep it in the family and sell it to our sister-in-law. Should we keep it and get a dealer warranty?

I want to know:
Trustworthy warranty providers?
How much hassle is involved?

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
X5autostart
Rep
Drives: X5

I just bought a BMW X3 and was offered a warranty. After some research it seems that the majority of people who buy it never actually use it. Plus when you do try to use it most people try to tell you that it's not covered. If I remember correctly it was something like 80% of people didn't save money buying a warranty. You have to pay a deductible as well for every service. So over the few years you have the warranty you end up spending more money than you would have if you had just paid out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
woofster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X3

It's a tough call but as with any kind of insurance, the majority of people never exercise it but the odd chance that you do need to, it's a life saver. I typically do opt for a third party extended warranty once the OEM warranty is up. The cost is definitely something you have to factor in, meaning if your goal is to save money upfront, by all means, don't get the extended warranty but set aside some money should anything major arise in the near future.