BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
mnmkw
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Question PDC help

I'm a new X3 owner. This is my first time to have Park Distance Control and I could use some help in interpreting the graphics. (Hopefully my photo is attached).

In the photo I am parked in my garage. I have some boxes lined up against the wall in front of me. I understand that the red in front of the car means that I am about 12 inches in front of an object, right? Although in my mind the colors should be reversed. It doesn't make sense to me that the green (which should mean safe) is actually where the boxes probably are.

Regarding the back up camera, I'm don't understand what the yellow box is. Does that mean that if I turn my wheel to track along that red line, I will hit something? I assume that is why there is a graphic showing to the left rear of the car on the PDC?

Interpreting the PDC just isn't intuitive to me. But that is probably just me! Thank you for any help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

The acoustic signal when PDC is active indicates how close you are to an object, the graphic on the iDrive is only an aid to let you know approximately where and also how close the object is.
When there is nothing in front/rear of your vehicle, the graphics will just show grey area with no color in it. When you are approaching an object, a "blob" is starting to appear in green area. The closer you get to that object, it will "grow" to the yellow area, and when you are very close to an object, it will show up closer to the car graphic and red.
In your case, the boxes are the red part in that picture.
I agree that the graphics takes a bit getting used to. I prefer the whole blob changes color as I approach the object, so when I'm very close to something, the whole blob is red, instead of giving green, yellow, and red

I don't have rearview camera on my car, but in my understanding, the yellow rectangle is indicating an object. The sonar is detecting an object behind your vehicle (I would guess the door frame) and it gives you a visual approximation where that object might be in the camera view. I could be wrong on this one tho, so maybe those with rearview camera on their cars can clarify further on this.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertech83 View Post
I don't have rearview camera on my car, but in my understanding, the yellow rectangle is indicating an object. The sonar is detecting an object behind your vehicle (I would guess the door frame) and it gives you a visual approximation where that object might be in the camera view. I could be wrong on this one tho, so maybe those with rearview camera on their cars can clarify further on this.
The yellow rectangle does indeed indicate an object. As you get closer to the object the rectangle changes between no rectangle at all, green, yellow, and red. If there are more than 1 object or if the surroundings are uneven and of vary distances between the car, multiple rectangles then outline the area with different colors indicating the distance and where the object is.

While you probably already know what the green and red guiding lines are for MNMKW the green box is to indicate the outline of the car and red is for the direction of your steering wheel and the degree it's turning at.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
You can also turn off the directional lines on the screen so you just have a clean picture and graphics off to the right. That is personally how I like to use it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
voerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
While you probably already know what the green and red guiding lines are for MNMKW the green box is to indicate the outline of the car and red is for the direction of your steering wheel and the degree it's turning at.
I think there is a better interpretation of the red and green lines. The green lines represent where your car is heading when you back up. The green lines turn when you turn the steering wheel. The red lines indicate where you will go if you turn the steering wheel to its maximum. If you sit still and turn the wheel, the green lines will move with the wheel while the red lines are fixed. If you turn the steering wheel to its max, the red and green lines will appear on top of each other on the appropriate side.

Lou
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
mnmkw
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Thanks for the replies. Do you think that the yellow square along the red line means I would hit that if I turned my wheels to that track?
Appreciate 0