BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
joebry
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

How to attach front license plate base

How do I attach the front license plate base that came with my 2013 X3? My state does not require a front license plate so the dealer did not install it.

There are two nipples on the bottom of the base that fit into slots on the bottom of the bumper ( if you want to call it that ) that center the plate base. After that, what do I do? Are there two special screws, which I don't have, that screw the plate base to the bumper?

Did 2012 X3's come with the plate base already attached or with a place for the front license plate, as did my 2003 525i?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I don't mean to be rude Joebry but you are a very strange person, may I ask why you want to attach a front plate if Tennessee doesn't require you to do so? The car looks so much cleaner without it.

I didn't install the front plate myself but got to see one of the dealership people put it on. You simply take the base plate, the one the attaches to the bumper and screw it on by hand to the black plastic section of the bumper making sure not to block any of the sonar sensors, then just attach the license plate and decorative frame on top. The guy didn't seem to use any special screws so I assume anything that fits and isn't too long should be safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Actually there are two tab openings on the bottom of the bumper. The black plate holder's tabs will fit there. Then drill two small holes in the bumper using the plate holder as a guide.

Edit thought:

Maybe he wants to put a novelty plate on the front!
Attached Images

Last edited by Radioactive; 05-13-2012 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Leighton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

My dealer uses black Philips washer-head self-drilling #6 x 1" screws to attach the base plate to the bumper cover. They will hold the base with a plate and normal plate frame. However, if you use a special bumper-protection frame like a Bump-Shox and a parking car backs into either the left or right side of that frame then the opposite self-drilling screw will pop out. With that kind of frame, a spread anchor, preferably one that is all metal or at least with a metal insert, tapped to accept a machine screw, is required to push through the bumper cover. Also, a 3/4" or 7/8" screw length will work better because it will not hit the metal bumper behind the cover.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
joebry
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
My dealer uses black Philips washer-head self-drilling #6 x 1" screws to attach the base plate to the bumper cover. They will hold the base with a plate and normal plate frame. However, if you use a special bumper-protection frame like a Bump-Shox and a parking car backs into either the left or right side of that frame then the opposite self-drilling screw will pop out. With that kind of frame, a spread anchor, preferably one that is all metal or at least with a metal insert, tapped to accept a machine screw, is required to push through the bumper cover. Also, a 3/4" or 7/8" screw length will work better because it will not hit the metal bumper behind the cover.
Thanks for the info. I kinda have a starting point now.
Appreciate 0