BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Evogelpohl
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35

Tech Package & Online Info Services?

Reviewing the items included in the technology package for $3200 - from the bmwusa website:
* Online Information Services (?)
* PDC (Check!)
* BMW Assist (Check!)
* Nav (Check!)
* Rear View Camera w/ TV (Check!)
* RT Traffic.... (Not in my city, Tulsa?)

Got me thinking...where are my Online Information Services? Assumed to be: Bloomberg, News, Stock, Google Search...

Are these services not yet rolled out or do they require the $199 BMW Assist Convenience Plan?

If they require the Conv Plan, then why note that Online Info Services are included in the Tech Package (with no *footnote)? Further, the Conv Plan doesn't note that the Tech Package is a pre-req.

False advertising? Thanks for any logical breakdown...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evogelpohl View Post
Reviewing the items included in the technology package for $3200 - from the bmwusa website:
* Online Information Services (?)
* PDC (Check!)
* BMW Assist (Check!)
* Nav (Check!)
* Rear View Camera w/ TV (Check!)
* RT Traffic.... (Not in my city, Tulsa?)

Got me thinking...where are my Online Information Services? Assumed to be: Bloomberg, News, Stock, Google Search...

Are these services not yet rolled out or do they require the $199 BMW Assist Convenience Plan?

If they require the Conv Plan, then why note that Online Info Services are included in the Tech Package (with no *footnote)? Further, the Conv Plan doesn't note that the Tech Package is a pre-req.

False advertising? Thanks for any logical breakdown...
BMW apps/smartphone integration will cover your Google, Facebook, Twitter and such. $250 option.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

You will need a subscription for the SIM card in the car to access these services. I think this is part of BMW Assist in the US. It's probably for 3 years service

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Evogelpohl
Rep

Thanks. I do have BMW Assist. 4 Years included in my lease. It works. However, when i start the "Online Services" menu item in iDrive, it says to call SOS to sign up for additional services.

So.... I bought a package for $3,200 that includes "Online Info Services". What & where are said online information services?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Not sure as I am still waiting on my car and have no experience with the system yet, but I assume the online info services are the ones you mention above found under bmw search?

Don't think I'll be using this part as it sounds slow from this review below, I'll just use my iPhone for all that, I'm hoping the BMW apps will eventually provide more services...

watch at 1:23 if you haven't seen this already

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=Evogelpohl;9673082]Thanks. I do have BMW Assist. 4 Years included in my lease. It works. However, when i start the "Online Services" menu item in iDrive, it says to call SOS to sign up for additional services.

So.... I bought a package for $3,200 that includes "Online Info Services". What

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Holy Crap Evogelpohl! I just saw the radar image of the weather from Oklahoma City stretching up thru Tulsa. Hope you are and your family are safe, That is some crazy weather for sure!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evogelpohl View Post
Thanks. I do have BMW Assist. 4 Years included in my lease. It works. However, when i start the "Online Services" menu item in iDrive, it says to call SOS to sign up for additional services.

So.... I bought a package for $3,200 that includes "Online Info Services". What & where are said online information services?
Rather worrying end to this thread! Hope you're OK. Pressing SOS (appropriately) is how you activate the subscription from your car. Hit the button, speak to BMW and you're up and running

My last post was stolen by Apple

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

sfax,

Do you have BMW Search in UK?
Not available in Canada
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
Evogelpohl
Rep

No, USA. My dealer is looking into what "Online Information Services" means in the context of the Tech Package bundle.

I understand what it means by adding on the BMW Assist-Convenience Plan for $199....but then why the bundle-item? I can't figure out the logic.

I'll post what my dealer says.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
sfax,

Do you have BMW Search in UK?
Not available in Canada
We get Google Search and it links up to the sat nav and pictures at destination etc. Quite handy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
We get Google Search and it links up to the sat nav and pictures at destination etc. Quite handy.
Do you pay an extra yearly fee for that in the UK or was it part of a package/option?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
Do you pay an extra yearly fee for that in the UK or was it part of a package/option?
You get 3 years subscription included in the professional multimedia package. It includes some other stuff like a concierge service where you can call BMW and get them to book you a hotel at your destination. I am yet to try this out as I don't really want to pay BMW prices when I stay in a hotel

I assume you're mostly paying for the data you receive via the car's SIM

Appreciate 0