BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-28-2023, 09:29 AM   #1
gilmored
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

massive oil leak after oil change

Hello! I changed the oil in my 28i X3 yesterday. I normally do a little shakedown but I'm an idiot and this time I didn't. I had to drive an hour and a half drive this morning. I noticed that the rear window was dirtier than normal but didn't think too much about it.

10 mins away from where I needed to be, I gave it a little gas to pass someone and got a low oil pressure warning. I checked the oil level and it was lower than it was when I filled it but still within range.

I pulled off to take a look under the hood and there was oil all over the driver's side of the engine bay. I looked around the oil filter cap and noticed that the oil filter gasket was bulging out a little. It looked like I goofed when putting it on and pinched it a little. I took it off and put it back on, being careful to seat the gasket the best I could, and gently made it to a parts store about 10 mins away.

I put two quarts of oil in and a new filter and gaskets and started it. After a few minutes, it said that it was below the minimum level and that there was an oil level sensor error. So I put in two more quarts, checked again and it said that it was at the max level.

I drove for about 10-15 minutes and the oil level dropped to a little above the minimum level. I took another look and there wasn't any more oil on the filter housing or on the top of the engine bay from where I wiped off the oil from before. There's oil spray near the bottom but I'm thinking that was probably from before.

I didn't hear any knocking and it was sounding and driving normally. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could cause the oil level to drop like that again? I'm having a little panic attack worried that I just killed my engine. I dropped it off at a shop because I have nowhere to do anything being away from home and am waiting to hear from them.

Last edited by gilmored; 02-28-2023 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0