BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Angry Do NOT get hit in your X3. An Australian Trilogy of horror.

I cannot explain how pissed I am. Some on here may be aware that 8 days after receiving our X3 30d MSport on October 18, an imbecilic moron took his young girl friend for her first ever drive of a car on the very route I use to go home each night (in peak hour traffic). When confronted with her first ever round about she drove straight over it, without steering or braking whatsoever (she had her hands over her ears because her bf was screaming at her to brake - I kid you not) and proceeded to plough her maniacal boyfriend's old Jeep Wrangler straight in to the front quarter panel of my brand new X3 and used the driver's door and passenger door to stop her car (remember....no brakes....). That occurred on the eighth day of ownership.......

I had it towed to an exceptionally good panel beater I know who is preferred by BMW in Melbourne and was advised it should take 3 to 4 weeks. Now, as the girl had broken the right front suspension, it is BMW policy that the steering rack and cross member is replaced with a new part, and as the car was so new it was not even questioned by the repairer. And herein lies the source of my pain.

BMW Australia doesn't have any steering racks or knuckles or even front quarter panels as spares anywhere in the country. So they had to come from Germany. Well, no biggy, I can wait a couple of weeks for that. At least I know it will be rebuilt to new spec. That is, IF BMW SENDS THE RIGHT FRICKIN' PARTS! Believe it or not, the steering rack and knuckle arrived in he right box with the right name and the right part numbers. Only problem was the knuckle was for the wrong car! Not for an X3 despite being labeled as such. So the repairer was able to repair the original knuckle to as new spec (it was only bent 2 mm) and the car was finished and polished and sent to Menere's BMW today to have all the software redone and checked out for final approval before I get it tomorrow. And guess what? They tried for 6 hours to make the steering rack speak to the main computer and it wouldn't happen.

The rack is in two pieces: the actual rack is your old style rack from the 60's and before without any assistance and it has an electric motor which sits on it which provides the assistance. Well, the electric motor, despite being labeled as my part and having the right part number, is NOT the motor for my car. It may be for an X3 but it is not for an X3 30d MSport!

So guess what happens now? They have to order another whole rack assembly from Germany. This will take two to three weeks and it is quite likely that the part will be the wrong part again because when they are wrongly packaged they are usually in quantities of a thousand or so as BMW orders them from the supplier only when they need them and then in bulk quantities. So, at the very best, I may get my new X3, which has only done 800km, in the week of 9 Jan 2012. If, as the repairer has warned, the wrong parts come again, then it is another month after that as they re-order. And guess what? They won't know if it's the wrong part until they assemble it and take it to BMW to test the electronics.

We ordered the car in May 2011. Waited 5 months till August 2011 to receive it. One week of pleasure (although a guy did hit us up our ass on day 2 - minor damage) and then BANG! on day 8 (and second insurance claim) a two and a half month wait to hopefully get our car back! And BMW cannot guarantee that the parts coming from Germany will be correct.......

The moral of the story? Don't get hit.........it just ain't worth it...........

Oh, here's a funny anecdote: two weeks ago, in our Toyota Aurion (V6 Camry) hire car supplied by our insurer, whilst stationary at a set of lights, a young girl in a brand new BMW 1 series convertible drove up the arse of my hire car! So in 6 weeks I had been hit whilst stationary three times. One can only hope it comes in threes and I'm clear for another 10 to 20 years. Such is life............
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Steve, a true horror story and inexcusable for BMW sending the wrong parts. but, as I'm sure others will mention, the bright side if there is any, is that you or a loved one were not severely injured in the collision. Having a car in the shop for weeks is a real pain, but being in a hospital bed recovering from physical injuries is infinitely worse.

Hopefully it will be back to "good as new" soon.

Best of Luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

No way. What a shocker. And a real kick in the teeth after waiting 5 months for the initial delivery too. Hands over the ears part made me laugh!

Hope it finally gets resolved promptly for you

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI

Steve,

I feel your pain, but I like it, that your sense of humor is still intact despite being hit 3 times in such a short period of time... It will be over soon!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

As the extra month delay is effectively BMWs fault I would be asking BMW Australia to supply me with a loaner X3 or mutually acceptable alternative until such a time as my own was back on the road.
      12-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

I would have to resist the urge to cap a bitch. Brand new driver and dumbass BF decides to start her on public roads would be the only way to calm myself down. Blame rests with BF.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
calagod
Green Light
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11/11 X3 20d MPack Carbonblack

Sh** happens - the only problem is, that it is almost ever caused by Sh**-People
I feel with you - but never surrender to this bad faith, sun will shine for you on your first joyride with your Xdry under the Australian sun.

Best regards from an exil-Kraut in India (as well without his Xdry)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Helm108
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3

It always happens in threes.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago (at least as far as accidents are concerned). Five days after buying my new Honda Element a woman pulled out in front of me. A month later, I got my Honda back from repairs and soon thereafter a girl on a mobile phone pulled out in front of me. I swerved out of the way to avoid her but she ended up hitting my rear passenger quarter panel and flipped my car upside down.

The car was totaled and was replaced with a new Honda Element. Eight days later, while waiting for traffic to pass so I could make a left turn, a teenager in his new Mustang Cobra ran into the back of me, causing about $2k in damages.

So in 4 months I had 3 accidents.

But since then I've had no accidents thanks be to God. So according to the rule of threes, your troubles should be over. Sucks about the repairs though.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Steve, if I were you I'd insist that BMW Oz call BMW Germany and confirm the correct pieces are in the box before shipping it down under.

... there sure are crappy drivers in Melbourne!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep

UPDATE:

Well I dropped in to Menere's BMW today to see what's happening with the steering rack. As I expected, BMW Australia had ordered the standard rack whereas we have the VSS option, which is a different rack. They both fit but only one works with the car. So I asked them if they had re-ordered the new rack. Answer: well that depends on who's going to pay for it...........

I have been advised by my repairer to go straight to head office and complain this afternoon. I certainly will be. But you know what the saddest part is? I saw our X3 at the dealer and walked over to have a look. And guess what is gone; that fuzzy warm feeling you get about your new car. There was nothing but apathy for it. I expect it to return sometime down the track but I'm a real car lover and it just sucks.

Merry Christmas!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Steve,
That is a true horror story.
I'd be shattered if it happened to me, but geez, the way you tell it certainly brought a smile to my face.
Keep the faith.
(and employ some motorcade outriders to maintain a safe barrier around the car when you do finally get it back on the road)

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #12
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Mate feel your pain.

Ordered our X3 in August and it won't be here before March due to dealership bugger up.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Probably only a few thing worse then having any accident in a week old new car - but we wont get into that.

What I take away away from this story of woe is what has happened after. As a first time BMW owner I'm very concerned not just about the apparent lack of spares for the F25 in Australia (although after my adventures with changing my OEM runflats for conventional tyres I probably shouldn't be too suprised about this), but also the apparent level of technical incompetence on the part of BMW Australia. I understood that it was next to impossible to order any spare parts for BMWs in Australia without quoting the chassis or VIN number - and then from this should come the correct spares for that specific vehicle.

And as for the wrong part in the correctly labelled box from Germany - what does that say about quality control at BMW in general.

Steve, I sincerly hope all turns out well in the end and that you can recapture that new car feelling. I trust I don't have reason in the future to question my own decision about choosing the X3.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
trzmo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Wow Steve, that is one sad story.. i hope you get your car back soon!.. I am picking up my black X3 3.0D on Monday/Tuesday next week, and i am going to be super paranoid as result..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Probably only a few thing worse then having any accident in a week old new car - but we wont get into that.

What I take away away from this story of woe is what has happened after. As a first time BMW owner I'm very concerned not just about the apparent lack of spares for the F25 in Australia (although after my adventures with changing my OEM runflats for conventional tyres I probably shouldn't be too suprised about this), but also the apparent level of technical incompetence on the part of BMW Australia. I understood that it was next to impossible to order any spare parts for BMWs in Australia without quoting the chassis or VIN number - and then from this should come the correct spares for that specific vehicle.

And as for the wrong part in the correctly labelled box from Germany - what does that say about quality control at BMW in general.

Steve, I sincerly hope all turns out well in the end and that you can recapture that new car feelling. I trust I don't have reason in the future to question my own decision about choosing the X3.

Tony
Well the plot thickens. I got a phone call today from the repairer saying that the second steering knuckle that came in this week was AGAIN a strut brace packaged up in the knuckle box with all the details of a knuckle. Whilst the steering rack was the fault of BMW not checking from the VIN that it had the VSS rack, the knuckle issue is a real QA problem. Do not be surprised if you see on the forum other people requiring a steering knuckle being provided with strut braces instead! I have no idea where this is heading now.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #16
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep

Second Update!

Well we complained to BMW Australia today and they have decided not to take the risk of ordering another knuckle (also known as tie rod end) and hoping it isn't actually a strut brace for the third time. They are putting pressure on BMW Germany to check the item before transit as well as the steering rack to ensure it is the VSS rack and not the standard rack. So we should have them delivered next week by plane (they are now a rush delivery (VOR - vehicle off road)) so the car should be ready for us when we return from our holiday in early Jan. We found that the dealers are in no rush to make things happen but once the customer gets involved directly with the factory then things start to move. Could it have been because my wife told him how we sold her faultless Audi A4 to buy the X3 and she wouldn't mind going back to Audi next time? Hmmm. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

And a side note? On the way home today, going through Camberwell we were stationary at a set of lights, in our third hire car (remember the second one was crashed in to from behind) a young blonde girl in a Ford Festiva drove straight up the back of our stationary Holden Commodore hire car. I could not believe it. That made 4 hits whilst stationary in 8 weeks! Fortunately it did bugger all damage to our car and just a bit of damage to her car. Because there was no real damage to our car I won't even worry about a claim because the hire company won't notice anything and I just don't want to go down that road for the fourth time in 8 weeks. What is it about Melbourne drivers?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #17
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trzmo View Post
Wow Steve, that is one sad story.. i hope you get your car back soon!.. I am picking up my black X3 3.0D on Monday/Tuesday next week, and i am going to be super paranoid as result..
Well trzmo, I have been driving for 27 years and have never had anything like this happen before. Accidents have been minor and few and far between. So I wouldn't be too concerned, all the dickheads are looking out for me at the moment!

But rest assured, you will LOVE your 30D. It is simply awesome! The overtaking ability is phenomenal and fuel economy will improve as you drive it. If yours is black, may I suggest, if you are thinking of paint protection, of considering the GTechniq C1 paint treatment for $600 from Mr Gloss? I have mentioned it on this blog under paint and leather protection and it is much better than BMW's own product. And it's pretty permanent too. Cheers and merry christmas with your new toy!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #18
drunkntigr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 m-sport 2011 carbon bla

Steve. Don't worry. I got hit today too. Refer main post.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #19
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkntigr View Post
Steve. Don't worry. I got hit today too. Refer main post.
You're kidding me???????? Unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #20
drunkntigr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 m-sport 2011 carbon bla

No where near as bad as you though!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

What is wrong with the drivers in Melbourne? We don't see many car accidents on Neighbours!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

STEVE Sorry to here this continuing run of Bad Luck.
Things can only get better we hope.
I had this with my last RED car some 15 years ago and only now have bought the VRed X3.
I thought the "Red Car" thing had been buried.
But on the way home the steering rack gave up and I thought "Here we go again" but nothing since. I do hope that after Xmas/New Year your car returns with no faults.