BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #111
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
I see the frustration here and I am personally annoyed, but the order sheet is where it matters. US (and Canada) G01 M-Sport and M40i SAVs are "supposed" to get an M-Sport steering wheel standard according to the "Standard Features" section on the BMW USA website but the Spec/Pricing Guide for a 30i M-Sport and an M40i clearly shows Option 255 as STD - 255 Sport leather steering wheel. M40i owners don't have to buy anything else to steer their vehicles with. Not defending this situation because it sucks.

BMW kept this as quiet as possible so it stayed off the radar. Mission accomplished. Most customers have no idea. Those that do can voice their opinions with their wallets.
I should say that while I won't be too bothered with the Sport leather steering wheel, this situation is confusing and it does suck. Also, when I look at the Standard Features for my configured M40i from the bmwusa.com site, it says:

2018 X3 M40i Standard Features
Instrumentation and controls
• 3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function M sport steering wheel with controls for audio system, cruise control, and Bluetooth® wireless communication for hands-free mobile phone

Which part of the website are you looking at your features?

So, really - this is absolutely confusing at best and to be honest, should be handled better for a car with so much fanfare for a newly redesigned model. The configurator shows the sport wheel, the standard features from the configuration shows the M-sport wheel, people outside the US see the M-sport wheel, and the description you are reading for show the sport wheel. Then this story that there is a shortage of one wheel, and then someone else had a story from their CA that there is a shortage of the other wheel. LOL - I'm not that impressed when dropping $60k for a car.

Anyway, my CA has not come back to me about this steering wheel issue so I'm glad this was brought up here because while I don't think it'll be a big deal to me, I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to get?!

Lastly, as much as I might accept the sport wheel, it's really messed up for people who have ordered and are expecting the M-sport wheel if that is what they won't get. I actually am not sure how it can be delivered to the customer with the wrong wheel.
Appreciate 2
kozzi927.00
FSociety3812.50
      10-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #112
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post

Anyway, my CA has not come back to me about this steering wheel issue so I'm glad this was brought up here because while I don't think it'll be a big deal to me, I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to get?!

Lastly, as much as I might accept the sport wheel, it's really messed up for people who have ordered and are expecting the M-sport wheel if that is what they won't get. I actually am not sure how it can be delivered to the customer with the wrong wheel.
If you have an order sheet for your specific car, I'd go by that. It's basically the contract you've got with them and don't really have a leg to stand on if it's built correctly according to that agreement. Mine has 255 sport steering.
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      10-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #113
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
I should say that while I won't be too bothered with the Sport leather steering wheel, this situation is confusing and it does suck. Also, when I look at the Standard Features for my configured M40i from the bmwusa.com site, it says:

2018 X3 M40i Standard Features
Instrumentation and controls
• 3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function M sport steering wheel with controls for audio system, cruise control, and Bluetooth® wireless communication for hands-free mobile phone

Which part of the website are you looking at your features?

Quote:
I see the frustration here and I am personally annoyed, but the order sheet is where it matters. US (and Canada) G01 M-Sport and M40i SAVs are "supposed" to get an M-Sport steering wheel standard according to the "Standard Features" section on the BMW USA website but the Spec/Pricing Guide for a 30i M-Sport and an M40i clearly shows Option 255 as STD - 255 Sport leather steering wheel. M40i owners don't have to buy anything else to steer their vehicles with. Not defending this situation because it sucks.

BMW kept this as quiet as possible so it stayed off the radar. Mission accomplished. Most customers have no idea. Those that do can voice their opinions with their wallets.

So, really - this is absolutely confusing at best and to be honest, should be handled better for a car with so much fanfare for a newly redesigned model. The configurator shows the sport wheel, the standard features from the configuration shows the M-sport wheel, people outside the US see the M-sport wheel, and the description you are reading for show the sport wheel. Then this story that there is a shortage of one wheel, and then someone else had a story from their CA that there is a shortage of the other wheel. LOL - I'm not that impressed when dropping $60k for a car.

Same exact place everyone else is looking at:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ModelCode=18XE

Bottom line is this: BMW messed this up. I think it sucks. Your post sums up the disaster. Anyone ordering a G01 MSport or an M40i should follow their respective Spec/Order sheet to see what steering wheel they will get.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #114
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Same exact place everyone else is looking at:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ModelCode=18XE

Bottom line is this: BMW messed this up. I think it sucks. Your post sums up the disaster. Anyone ordering a G01 MSport or an M40i should follow their respective Spec/Order sheet to see what steering wheel they will get.
I'm sorry - I just realized that I was saying the same thing you were saying and referring to the same thing. Oooops! This has driven me batty!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #115
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm sorry - I just realized that I was saying the same thing you were saying and referring to the same thing. Oooops! This has driven me batty!

It's all good.

Here's to hoping that once we get into our X3 M40i...no one is going to give a shit about the steering wheel!

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50