BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-31-2014, 03:14 AM   #1
kalasend
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3

Unhappy N52 Bosch new ignition coil problem

Hi all,

I recently have a misfiring ignition coil and am trying to change all 6 coils and spark plugs. (local BMW dealer diagnosed the misfire but I try to do the job myself)

Take a look at this summarizing video:

I just got these replacement ignition coils by Bosch from Pelican and change them on my '07 X3. After that, the engine can start but would stop within a few seconds.

I then put back the old coils and the engine ran fine again. As it seems, the problem has to do with the design of these new replacement coils. The boot for the spark plug is just way too air-tight, such that when inserted, the spark plug would get pushed out. The coils themselves aren't bolted to the engine and so the vibration from the engine has the tendency to push the coils out.

Note that the older, OE ignition coils(also by Bosch) have a tapered groove such that they can hold the top tip of a spark plug. Bu the newer coils don't have this groove to hold spark plugs

Any idea?
Thanks. Ben
Appreciate 0