BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #23
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Nice winter wheels

Have the same with Michelin Pilot Alpins. Love em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyesi View Post
My wife and I took delivery of our X3 February 4 at the Performance Center. I had done PCD on my 335i back in 2008 so I was familiar with what to expect. The weather wasn't the greatest, it rained the whole time we were there, but it was still fun!

We flew out of Chicago Midway the evening prior to the delivery but ended up missing our connection in Atlanta because of a combination of a 20 min delay leaving Chicago and having to wait on the tarmac in Atlanta because a plane was still at our arrival gate. Thankfully, we made standby on the last flight to Greenville-Spartanburg. I would've had to rent a car and drive otherwise. Unfortunately, that meant we got in at 11pm and missed our complimentary dinner. However, they did have a deli tray waiting for us in our room. The next morning, we made sure to take advantage of the free breakfast!

On to the fun stuff! We arrived at the Performance Center and went to the classroom with our instructors. After the talk, the whole group got into their respective cars. We had several 3 series cars, 5 series sedans, a 5 series GT, and a couple X5 diesels. They didn't have any X3s available for some reason so we got one of the X5s to drive. The group was split in half and my half went to the slalom course first.

I was amazed at how well the X5 handled and how much power/performance the diesel engine had, a testament to BMW engineering! The X5 handled the slalom course very well, in the wet no less Just a little bit of body roll and a slight bit of slip from the tires. I wonder how well it would've gripped on a dry track? After a driver change we did the course again.

The two groups then swapped positions and my half went to the ABS braking exercise. After that, we all met up at the skidpad. They would only allow us to take 335s out on the skidpad so everyone had to wait for a turn in one of 4 available.

While I was waiting I noticed a car out on the track with a pretty agressive exhaust note. My eyes were drawn to the paint color and instantly I knew what it was. The 1M! I believe they had an M school going on at the same time as I saw a bunch of M5s and M3s out on the track. I'm not sure if the 1M was just out testing or if it was the instructor. I barely had time to take a pic before it disappeared to the other side of the track.

After the skidpad, we all went back inside. My half took off for the factory tour in a caravan of X5s while the other half of the group had their deliveries. I would've liked to have seen the X3 assembly hall but the tour only encompasses the main assembly area. It was cool to see how BMWs are made. Afterwards, we made it back to the Performance Center where we did the offroad course, then went inside for lunch.

After lunch, the instructors took us on a hot lap in M5s! I sat in the back seat so I really felt those g's while the instructor was drifting all over the place! I actually felt a little bit uneasy in the stomach but managed to hold it together; I knew I shouldn't have ate so much right before!

We then took delivery of our X3. It was nice to finally be able to drive off in a car that we had ordered just 5 weeks prior. Too bad it was raining so as soon as we pulled out it was wet and dirty for the rest of the weekend.

We ended up staying in Greenville one extra night so as to have a fresh start driving in the morning. I ordered a winter tire/wheel package from Tire Rack and had them ship to an installer in Greenville so I had those installed the next morning before we left.

We left Saturday morning for a stopover in Columbus, Ohio (I previously lived there and still have friends there) and drove through The Tail of the Dragon in the Smoky Mountains. We stayed in Columbus Saturday night and hit the road again for Chicago Sunday evening. It was a long trip but worth it. By the time we got home we had put almost 1100 miles on the X3, basically the whole break-in period.

I highly recommend PCD for anyone who has never done it. Just try to do it during warmer weather when the drive home is more scenic. The fall is a good time when you can see the leaves changing colors through the mountains. I'm attempting to post some pics, hopefully this works.

Attachment 483967

Attachment 483968

Attachment 483969

Attachment 483970

Attachment 483971

Attachment 483973

Attachment 483974

Attachment 483975

Attachment 483976

Attachment 483979

Attachment 483977

Attachment 483980

Attachment 483981

Attachment 483982

Attachment 483983
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
It was a good time, despite the weather! I ended up getting Dunlop Wintersport 3D runflats (wife is primary driver) on Enkei EKM3's. Seeing the Enkei's in person, I think they would look better on a smaller car, like the 3er but that's what I get for only being able to see a side profile online. One issue I ran into was that since Tire Rack didn't have info on the new X3 yet I took a risk and ordered the TPM sensors for the 2010 X3. Apparently, BMW recently changed the frequency their sensors operate on so I had to get new ones installed once I got home to Chicago.

I'll keep an eye out for you, Lotus7. So far, I have not seen a single F25 X3 on the road yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
buckeyesi,

Sounds like you had a great time. You may recall that we ordered our respective X3's the same day back in December. Our red one arrived in Chicago on Saturday 2/05 and we picked it up on Monday 2/07. Only have about 75 miles on it so far, so you have a big head start. So far both the wife and me are happy with the car and are becoming familiar with all the bells and whistles. Picking it up at the dealer was a 2.5 hour experience between all the paperwork, sales pitches and explanations of the various extended warrantees and then the control walk-trough from the CA. Fortunately, from reading the on-line owner's manual, and the help of this forum, I knew more about the operation of the X3 than the CA. Our PCD consisted of a mile trip around the dealer's neighborhood at less then 40 mph.

What winter wheel/tire package did you wind up with and how do they feel?

Best of luck with your new toy. If you see a red one with 18 inch wheels, on the streets of Chicago, please wave.
Me too! Me too!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #25
buckeyesi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 SMB ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Me too! Me too!
I wonder if I saw your car...were you parked on Taylor St near UIC this week? Or driving around the West Loop last Saturday? I saw a black X3 both times.
On Order: 2018 M3 Individual San Marino Blue/Sakhir Orange Ext, 6MT, Comp Pkg
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #26
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Thanks for the pics and write up. I have been wondering if it is "really" worth a drive back to Chicago from there - this is helpful information from a fellow member!

On a side note, I have been going to Laurel for 15 years even before they became an Auto Nation store. If you are not satisfied with your salesguy, you should not hesitate to go directly to the new car manager Rich - he knows what he is doing. Sales people turnover in car sales definitely resulted in some of their sales staff being underwhelming for us enthusiasts........
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #27
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Congrats for your new lovely ride
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #28
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if I saw your car...were you parked on Taylor St near UIC this week? Or driving around the West Loop last Saturday? I saw a black X3 both times.
This past Friday I was at James Stukel Towers Residence Hall dropping off a friend, and the Friday before that I was definitely zipping around the West Loop.

If you saw me at UIC you saw me here:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #29
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went through Laurel BMW of Westmont. I moved to Chicago last April and in my search for a new dealership to service my M3 they came up highly recommended so now they are my regular dealership. I live about a mile from Perillo but I've heard so many horror stories about them I'm glad to make the drive to a reputable shop.

The order process with Laurel BMW went smoothly, including setting up PCD. They were willing to negotiate the price, too, which I found surprising considering the X3 is a new model.

One recommendation if you are looking to purchase soon, you may be able to get a considerable discount if you use a car buying service, like from Amex. There are some members on this board that got around $3000 off msrp.
I got an incredible deal from Perillo. I don't want to give out any numbers here, but let's just say that Amex doesn't hold much up to what I got.

I don't know why you've heard horror stories. They've always treated me well! I've referred a bunch of friends...never any trouble from them at all. They also practice customer loyalty benefits. So if you're with them for a while, your loaner car, for example, might be even nicer than the car you brought in for service.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #30
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

The white looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #31
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States