BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2016, 10:34 PM   #2047
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Hey guys, ok, dumb question I'm sure for you experts rather than reading 2000 posts...

For coding, is going the route suggested in this thread the same basically as getting a Carly adapter and app? Are there advantages going with a cable over the Carly setup? Cost? More features?

Thanks for the help!
OP, much like most on various forums, is outdated.

Coding with E-sys will only cost you $3-20 for an ENET. E-sys gives you complete control and can do everything Carly can and much more.

Carly adapter will cost $45-70. Then you must buy Pro App. Then additional cost to unlock more functions. Carly is regularly releasing updates, but not all options are available.

Disclaimer: I only use E-sys and ENET.
Appreciate 1
Lotus99634.50
      11-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #2048
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
OP, much like most on various forums, is outdated.

Coding with E-sys will only cost you $3-20 for an ENET. E-sys gives you complete control and can do everything Carly can and much more.

Carly adapter will cost $45-70. Then you must buy Pro App. Then additional cost to unlock more functions. Carly is regularly releasing updates, but not all options are available.

Disclaimer: I only use E-sys and ENET.
Thanks for the info. How user friendly is the E-sys software though for coding? I bought for my E90 a K cable and the associated INPA software a couple of years ago, and never got around to installing it on my laptop and taking the time to learn it, whereas with the Carly, it looks as easy as an iPhone app to use...

How many hours of playing around would I have to put in to learn how to code the manual way and how the software works?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #2049
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. How user friendly is the E-sys software though for coding? I bought for my E90 a K cable and the associated INPA software a couple of years ago, and never got around to installing it on my laptop and taking the time to learn it, whereas with the Carly, it looks as easy as an iPhone app to use...

How many hours of playing around would I have to put in to learn how to code the manual way and how the software works?
It is a lot more user friendly than software to code E-series, but not as simple as Carly. Carly is just a matter of selecting option choices.

Hours needed depend on your computer learning curve. E-sys is using Launcher built-in Cheat Codes to select options or following spreadsheets and changing drop-down menus. I put together a one page summary guide that references more detailed 9 page step-by-step tutorials with pictures.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #2050
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
It is a lot more user friendly than software to code E-series, but not as simple as Carly. Carly is just a matter of selecting option choices.

Hours needed depend on your computer learning curve. E-sys is using Launcher built-in Cheat Codes to select options or following spreadsheets and changing drop-down menus. I put together a one page summary guide that references more detailed 9 page step-by-step tutorials with pictures.
Hi, I went to the BMW coding database website, and saw there's an EXE file to download. That's a program or a cheatsheet? I don't want to launch an EXE file on my work PC, if I'm not sure what it will do...

The only cheatsheet I've found so far is the PDF I've Attached below called "F30 Coding Reference Guide".

I can figure out computer stuff fairly easily - as long as we're not talking literally writing code - but still, this sounds like your average user will need to spend a few hours to learn the software, right?

Vs. like half an hour to play with and learn Carly?

This is a screenshot of what I thought is the software, And I have to figure out how to get around it, is that right?

Attached Images
File Type: pdf F30_Coding_Reference_Guide_v1.7.pdf (262.8 KB, 408 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #2051
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hi, I went to the BMW coding database website, and saw there's an EXE file to download. That's a program or a cheatsheet? I don't want to launch an EXE file on my work PC, if I'm not sure what it will do...

The only cheatsheet I've found so far is the PDF I've Attached below called "F30 Coding Reference Guide".

I can figure out computer stuff fairly easily - as long as we're not talking literally writing code - but still, this sounds like your average user will need to spend a few hours to learn the software, right?

Vs. like half an hour to play with and learn Carly?

This is a screenshot of what I thought is the software, And I have to figure out how to get around it, is that right?

PM'd Software, Guides, and Cheat Sheets.

BMW Coding Database is an exe, but you can also export an excel CSV file. It has three main functions: 1) Ability to search for codes. You can search any column as well as filter results by ECU or chassis; 2) New Codes can be submitted. If system is online, it can sync and update database; 3) You can create vehicle profile and copy over rows to track changes. The optional program is only used indirectly as E-sys will do the "coding."

Coding is a misnomer as you are only changing drop-down menus. Using your example...

I can use Built in Cheat Codes:

Review & Apply Selection:

Alternatively, use BMW Coding Database, PDF, or Excel Spreadsheet to find function parameters. I can search "Video_Speedlock," right click menu item to edit:

Select "New Value"

Once I have complete all coding in modules, I save and upload to vehicle using "Code FDL" button.

All of this is explained in guides.
Appreciate 1
Lotus99634.50
      12-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #2052
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

Quote:
I can use Built in Cheat Codes
I can't, apparently.

I'm using what I believe to be the most recent versions of all the applicable software, but I've never been able to get anything to show up in the Cheat Codes area. I do seem to be able to do FDL coding without much difficulty.

I wonder if this is because the car is a 2017 with NBT2?
2004 E85 Z4 3.0 Sport - Sold to brother | 2004 E83 X3 xDrive3.0i - Gone | 2011 E89 Z4 35is - Gone | 2011 F25 X3 xDrive35i - Gone | 2014 E89 Z4 E89 35is - Gone | 2014 F25 X3 xDrive 30i X3 - Gone | 2017 F83 M4 Cabriolet - Gone | 2017 F25 X3 xDrive30i - Gone
2020 G29 Z4 M40i Misanoblau | 2020 G01 M40i Phytonicblau
Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #2053
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
I can't, apparently.

I'm using what I believe to be the most recent versions of all the applicable software, but I've never been able to get anything to show up in the Cheat Codes area. I do seem to be able to do FDL coding without much difficulty.

I wonder if this is because the car is a 2017 with NBT2?
Cheat Codes are a part of Launcher. Latest available is Premium 2.6.2 & Pro 2.6.3. There are codes for NBT2.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #2054
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cheat Codes are a part of Launcher
Yep.

My issue is that the Cheat Codes panel in Launcher Premium 2.4.3 is blank.

I'll go ahead and try a version upgrade.
2004 E85 Z4 3.0 Sport - Sold to brother | 2004 E83 X3 xDrive3.0i - Gone | 2011 E89 Z4 35is - Gone | 2011 F25 X3 xDrive35i - Gone | 2014 E89 Z4 E89 35is - Gone | 2014 F25 X3 xDrive 30i X3 - Gone | 2017 F83 M4 Cabriolet - Gone | 2017 F25 X3 xDrive30i - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #2055
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yep.

My issue is that the Cheat Codes panel in Launcher Premium 2.4.3 is blank.

I'll go ahead and try a version upgrade.
PM'd links in case you need them. Launcher and NCD / CAFD tool links never change.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #2056
saxonel
Rep
Drives: bmw F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Yeah, but that is just how it has been since 2010, and no F1x/F25 can change the number of blinks.

hello shawnsheridan

Do you have any idea or solution to code the temperature to cooling water of engine in NBT EVO. I have the graphic in nbt evo but i not found in data cheet of BMW f15
This is the picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #2057
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonel View Post
hello shawnsheridan

Do you have any idea or solution to code the temperature to cooling water of engine in NBT EVO. I have the graphic in nbt evo but i not found in data cheet of BMW f15
This is the picture.
No, sorry. I have no idea about this.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #2058
saxonel
Rep
Drives: bmw F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
No, sorry. I have no idea about this.
Thanks for your answer
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #2059
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PM'd links in case you need them. Launcher and NCD / CAFD tool links never change.
That did work. Even though I was using a Launcher version that was supposed to have cheat codes, uninstalling everything and installing updated versions of everything worked.

Now I just need to get DVD in motion and anti-dazzle headlights working. Those are still defeating me.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #2060
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That did work. Even though I was using a Launcher version that was supposed to have cheat codes, uninstalling everything and installing updated versions of everything worked.

Now I just need to get DVD in motion and anti-dazzle headlights working. Those are still defeating me.
What do you mean VIM and NGHB is defeating you?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #2061
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean VIM and NGHB is defeating you?
For VIM, I've looked at every code that seems applicable, they all seem to be set correctly, yet I get the lock-out screen in motion. The same applies to owner manual in motion (which is important to me - video is not) and side and rear cameras in motion (which probably aren't very useful in the real world).

For NGHB, I've VO-coded the car and tried both manually coding the werte that have been reported as being necessary and doing so using cheat codes in Launcher. I've shut down the car then gone back and confirmed that the FA is updated and that the ECU's show the new coding, but I see no effect at all in terms of actual headlight function. One thing of which I'm uncertain is what I'm actually supposed to be doing with the headlight controls - am I supposed to have High Beam Assistant on or off? Is the stalk supposed to be clicked forward to the high beam position or not?

Apart from those, I've given up on closing the tailgate with the key or with Comfort Access. Nothing I tried worked and I lost my kick-to-open function. When I coded things back to default I got kick-to-open back. Our new X3 has a blanking piece where the old one had a tailgate button, so I suppose this may no longer work at all for some reason.

I have the ability to edit menu options to display Office functions (Calendar, Emails, Texts), but those do not display and I can't find any Office stuff anywhere. I'm pretty sure that if it's a feature in US we're supposed to have it, but who knows? Thus I can't tell if office in motion works!

A number of other things work great: mirror folding and unfolding, eliminating legal disclaimers, window roll-down continuing after door opening, turning off electronics when the driver door is opened, fog lights with high beams, automatic high beam assistant, and a few other little niceties.

I'm eager to test REGENSCHLIESSEN. I haven't been able to test road edge detection without a fog line. I might play around with LIM.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #2062
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
For VIM, I've looked at every code that seems applicable, they all seem to be set correctly, yet I get the lock-out screen in motion. The same applies to owner manual in motion (which is important to me - video is not) and side and rear cameras in motion (which probably aren't very useful in the real world).

For NGHB, I've VO-coded the car and tried both manually coding the werte that have been reported as being necessary and doing so using cheat codes in Launcher. I've shut down the car then gone back and confirmed that the FA is updated and that the ECU's show the new coding, but I see no effect at all in terms of actual headlight function. One thing of which I'm uncertain is what I'm actually supposed to be doing with the headlight controls - am I supposed to have High Beam Assistant on or off? Is the stalk supposed to be clicked forward to the high beam position or not?

Apart from those, I've given up on closing the tailgate with the key or with Comfort Access. Nothing I tried worked and I lost my kick-to-open function. When I coded things back to default I got kick-to-open back. Our new X3 has a blanking piece where the old one had a tailgate button, so I suppose this may no longer work at all for some reason.

I have the ability to edit menu options to display Office functions (Calendar, Emails, Texts), but those do not display and I can't find any Office stuff anywhere. I'm pretty sure that if it's a feature in US we're supposed to have it, but who knows? Thus I can't tell if office in motion works!

A number of other things work great: mirror folding and unfolding, eliminating legal disclaimers, window roll-down continuing after door opening, turning off electronics when the driver door is opened, fog lights with high beams, automatic high beam assistant, and a few other little niceties.

I'm eager to test REGENSCHLIESSEN. I haven't been able to test road edge detection without a fog line. I might play around with LIM.
VIM, Office, and Manual in motion all work.

For NGHB, make sure you are using correct Cheat Codes. The ones in launcher are not always labeled correctly and you may be using the ones for F8x, which are different than those for F25. To work correctly, you have either code automatically to turn on in FRM or select button on turn signal stalk; when dark, you will see indication on dash and when high beams are enabled you will see additional blue icon. You do not pull stalk forward or back for NGHB feature.

REGENSCHLIESSEN does not work. For road edge, you end up having to get dangerously close to curb.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #2063
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Read the guide here to properly code for NGHB: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/attach...3&d=1450979992

Do you have LEDs or Xenons? I'm not sure about Xenons but this coding worked for me with LEDs.
High Beam Assist needs to be on for it to work

Closing trunk with FOB should work but not sure about comfort access.

Are you accessing office functions from the "office" menu on the idrive main screen?

Road edge detection without a line works and was actually enabled by default from the factory for me. Coding LIM also works. I haven't coded REGENSCHLIESSEN but I've read that it may not work

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #2064
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
VIM, Office, and Manual in motion all work.
I guess I need to play around more with video and manual in motion. For office in motion, I'll first need to get office to show up when at rest.

Quote:
For NGHB, make sure you are using correct Cheat Codes.
I think the issue may have been that when I drove around to test it I might have been driving too slowly. I believe I saw evidence that it was working earlier this evening.

Quote:
REGENSCHLIESSEN does not work.
Bummer.

Quote:
For road edge, you end up having to get dangerously close to curb.
I've heard of curbs. That's one a them city things, right?

We have a lot of unpaved roads around here. Hardly any curbs.

I'm just trying to take it slowly and step-by-step with making changes to my wife's car because I don't want to brick it. The help I've received here, particularly from you, has been invaluable.

My new M4 is at the dealer now, but I won't be able to get there to pick it up until Friday. I'm not eager to brick that, either, but my hope is that by then I'll have better understanding of what I'm doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Do you have LEDs or Xenons? I'm not sure about Xenons but this coding worked for me with LEDs.
It's LED-only, and I have LED's. I think it's sorted out now.

Quote:
Closing trunk with FOB should work but not sure about comfort access.
Perhaps it should, but I can't get it to. Does one press and hold the lock button?

As I said, we no longer even have a tailgate release button inside this car (so I'm not even sure we can open it from inside any longer). Perhaps that's changed other aspects of the function of this system.

Quote:
Are you accessing office functions from the "office" menu on the idrive main screen?
No, because no such menu appears on the iDrive 5 screen on my NBT2 headunit.

Quote:
Road edge detection without a line works and was actually enabled by default from the factory for me.
It was set to not active in our X3. That was easy to change. I just need to find some grass at the edge of a road. That may need to wait until the snow melts.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #2065
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I guess I need to play around more with video and manual in motion. For office in motion, I'll first need to get office to show up when at rest.

I think the issue may have been that when I drove around to test it I might have been driving too slowly. I believe I saw evidence that it was working earlier this evening.

I've heard of curbs. That's one a them city things, right?

We have a lot of unpaved roads around here. Hardly any curbs.

I'm just trying to take it slowly and step-by-step with making changes to my wife's car because I don't want to brick it. The help I've received here, particularly from you, has been invaluable.

My new M4 is at the dealer now, but I won't be able to get there to pick it up until Friday. I'm not eager to brick that, either, but my hope is that by then I'll have better understanding of what I'm doing.

Perhaps it should, but I can't get it to. Does one press and hold the lock button?

As I said, we no longer even have a tailgate release button inside this car (so I'm not even sure we can open it from inside any longer). Perhaps that's changed other aspects of the function of this system.

It was set to not active in our X3. That was easy to change. I just need to find some grass at the edge of a road. That may need to wait until the snow melts.
Sorry, I did not realize you had ID5. For that, Office, in general, plus it and Manual in motion will work. For Video, the coding only works up to 63 kph, unless you pay for script activation or use hardware bypass; a number of individuals are working on a solution, but nothing is ready yet.

For NGHB, make sure you are following F25/ F26 guide and not using codes meant for F80/ F82/ F83 or F15/ F16.

Re curbs: guess you will not have to risk curbing your rims while you test feature coded from factory on EU vehicles. The other option in KAFAS I like is switching to EU SLI.

As long as you follow standard warnings, then you should not brick vehicle. Usually, the worst case is coding does not work and you just switch it back.

Do you have HKFM_LS or HKFM2? Coding is different for ladder.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #2066
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Press and hold down the trunk release button

Quote:
Wait, what? You don't have a button, you must!? It's right in front of the power window buttons

Quote:
Any type of road edge works as long as it's a "line" for the camera to see. But you do have to be dangerously close, don't test it with the curb!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #2067
msb100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 30D F25

Hi,
I'm using E-sys version 3.24.3 and psdz ver 4.8.1.
Is there an updated version and is there any advantage to using the latest?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #2068
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msb100 View Post
Hi,
I'm using E-sys version 3.24.3 and psdz ver 4.8.1.
Is there an updated version and is there any advantage to using the latest?
Thanks
Yes there is new version, and no there is not any advantage. For Coding, one updates out of necessity, not benefit.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0