BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #133
ChefMezz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive n26

My engine blew just a 4 days ago. I had metal fragments in my brand new oil filter. I took it in because of misfire on cylinder 3 and rough idle. The just told me yesterday that the engine is covered and will be replaced for FREE. My faith in BMW is restored. I have a 2015 328i xdrive N26. 94k miles and full bolt on stage 2 bootmod3.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #134
94vtirozguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 F25 (N20)

I got the letter in the mail. There are a few options that you can do. However if everyone objected to what is being proposed , highlighting the fact it is a defect and BMW having many revisions of parts trying to fix the issue, many drivers are driving around on unknown ticking timebombs. This should be a full recall to put all drivers minds at ease.

Then the judge might look at this and force a recall from BMW.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #135
ArrrH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 X Line

As I read the paperwork, if you get the repair done at an independent shop, there will be a $3000 reimbursement for repair, $7500 towards engine replacement, but 100% coverage at the dealer.... this is up to 100k miles.

After the effective date of February 16, 2021, if the judge signs off on the lawsuit, you will only be able to have the repair done at the dealership, with BMW giving 100% coverage below 70k miles, 70k-80k will cover 75% of the costs, 80-90k will cover 55% of the costs....

So it seems that it may be best to have and independent repair it now, before the official judge sign off as my independent charges $3200 for the repair (out of pocket $200), versus after Feb. 16 when I can only go to a dealer and I am covered 75% at my mileage (74k), so I’d be out of pocket about $1100....

Strange
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #136
SDMike61
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 SDrive28i

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMezz View Post
My engine blew just a 4 days ago. I had metal fragments in my brand new oil filter. I took it in because of misfire on cylinder 3 and rough idle. The just told me yesterday that the engine is covered and will be replaced for FREE. My faith in BMW is restored. I have a 2015 328i xdrive N26. 94k miles and full bolt on stage 2 bootmod3.
Sure would like to know how you negotiated that outcome!
My 2017 X3 SDrive 28i with the N20 engine seized and internally failed on the 18th without warning - only two days after an oil and filter change. Lost all power and started jerking while driving down the road, pulled into a parking lot, heard lots of loud grinding and metal-on-metal contact noises in the engine compartment. Had it towed to the dealer. They found metal shavings in the oil and filter and want to put a new engine in it - at my cost of $19,700. Miles are 90,700 - always maintained at 5,000 mile intervals. Dealer is trying to negotiate with BMW NA for some loyalty assistance with the cost. But, I do not trust the N20 and don't want to spend nearly half the cost of the vehicle when new to put it back on the road. This is a very sad situation - the design of the engine, from everything I can find, is questionable at best. Check out pics and videos of lower rod bearing failures - I believe that is where my problem is - oil starvation due to a bad check valve and a spun bearing on #3 cylinder. BMW knows this engine is bad - that's why they redesigned it an now have the B48 out there as their 2-liter 4-pot solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #137
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMike61 View Post
Sure would like to know how you negotiated that outcome!
My 2017 X3 SDrive 28i with the N20 engine seized and internally failed on the 18th without warning - only two days after an oil and filter change. Lost all power and started jerking while driving down the road, pulled into a parking lot, heard lots of loud grinding and metal-on-metal contact noises in the engine compartment. Had it towed to the dealer. They found metal shavings in the oil and filter and want to put a new engine in it - at my cost of $19,700. Miles are 90,700 - always maintained at 5,000 mile intervals. Dealer is trying to negotiate with BMW NA for some loyalty assistance with the cost. But, I do not trust the N20 and don't want to spend nearly half the cost of the vehicle when new to put it back on the road. This is a very sad situation - the design of the engine, from everything I can find, is questionable at best. Check out pics and videos of lower rod bearing failures - I believe that is where my problem is - oil starvation due to a bad check valve and a spun bearing on #3 cylinder. BMW knows this engine is bad - that's why they redesigned it an now have the B48 out there as their 2-liter 4-pot solution.
Why is bmw not repairing this for free? What was their reasoning given what we know of the n20? Were you modded?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #138
SDMike61
Registered
Rep

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Why is bmw not repairing this for free? What was their reasoning given what we know of the n20? Were you modded?
No, absolutely no mods. The latest is they'll give me goodwill assistance on a loyalty pricing schedule for a new engine - another N20. Amounts to $11,460. Still extortion for an engine we and they know has big issues - only six years on the market before they replaced it - they know. Reasons are not given except that I didn't keep my register receipts for the oil and filters I used to do oil changes. All I have are some from Valvoline and Pep Boys (and they most often don't have either the right oil, or the plastic oil pan drain plug kit). I've never had an engine seize like this on a production car in over 37 years on roads all over the world - I've gotten used to only keeping receipts for warrantied things. May be my bad, but it was well maintained - recently had the oil filter housing gasket replaced, the turbo return line replaced, and the serpentine belt and radiator hoses replaced (due to the oil leaks). Also put in a new battery. They say I didn't maintain it - bull.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #139
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
No, absolutely no mods. The latest is they'll give me goodwill assistance on a loyalty pricing schedule for a new engine - another N20. Amounts to $11,460. Still extortion for an engine we and they know has big issues - only six years on the market before they replaced it - they know. Reasons are not given except that I didn't keep my register receipts for the oil and filters I used to do oil changes. All I have are some from Valvoline and Pep Boys (and they most often don't have either the right oil, or the plastic oil pan drain plug kit). I've never had an engine seize like this on a production car in over 37 years on roads all over the world - I've gotten used to only keeping receipts for warrantied things. May be my bad, but it was well maintained - recently had the oil filter housing gasket replaced, the turbo return line replaced, and the serpentine belt and radiator hoses replaced (due to the oil leaks). Also put in a new battery. They say I didn't maintain it - bull.
My oil filter housing is leaking in my n55 but it’s super minor
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #140
SDMike61
Registered
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
My oil filter housing is leaking in my n55 but it’s super minor
That's the way mine started but it progressed quickly, dripping right onto the serpentine belt and that threw it onto the radiator hoses (oil degrades those hoses) and made a mess under the hood. When the tech went to fix those issues, they also found the turbo return line was leaking and also fixed that. That said, the oil lost was minimal and never triggered a low warning. They did change the oil with those repairs.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 09:35 PM   #141
mike_MAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

Hi guys,

I'm nearing the end of my warranty and wanted to roll the dice and be willing to pay for a diagnostic fee to have a dealership check on this issue for me.
The one I normally go to (Peabody, MA) would probably not go for it. I asked them to check it last time and gave me some excuse and never checked.

I do recall someone on this forum that had their engine repaired at a dealership in MA (maybe south of Boston?). Any advice on where I should go in MA?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:05 PM   #142
Taoster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 n20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_MAN View Post
Hi guys,

I'm nearing the end of my warranty and wanted to roll the dice and be willing to pay for a diagnostic fee to have a dealership check on this issue for me.
The one I normally go to (Peabody, MA) would probably not go for it. I asked them to check it last time and gave me some excuse and never checked.

I do recall someone on this forum that had their engine repaired at a dealership in MA (maybe south of Boston?). Any advice on where I should go in MA?

your 2015 should not have this issue. Are you noticing any symptoms? If you are, go back to the dealership and tell them what symptoms you're having, dont go in directly saying how you've heard about this timing chain issue on previous model x3's, etc, etc.

BTW, anyone have any update on the official hearing of this lawsuit?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:09 PM   #143
mike_MAN
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoster View Post
your 2015 should not have this issue. Are you noticing any symptoms? If you are, go back to the dealership and tell them what symptoms you're having, dont go in directly saying how you've heard about this timing chain issue on previous model x3's, etc, etc.

BTW, anyone have any update on the official hearing of this lawsuit?
I thought so too, but the build date is 2014 which is effected. I also received the notice in the mail from the courts. No symptoms of failure, but I don't drive it as much as I'd like because of this issue.
I've been follow a thread on on f30 to get updates:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...614899&page=47
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #144
pedroso
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I have a 2012 N55 with 85k miles in it.
In december when I took it for an oil change they said the car needs to "reseal oil filter housing" and to "replace coolant hose from thermostat to cylinder head", if I remember right the hose needs to be replaced due to the oil leak.
Could I use this recall in my car as well once thats a 2012 model?
And what do I say at the dealership?
I bought this car in October last year and as my first BMW I'm not really familiarized with their recall policy.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 11:08 PM   #145
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroso View Post
I have a 2012 N55 with 85k miles in it.
In december when I took it for an oil change they said the car needs to "reseal oil filter housing" and to "replace coolant hose from thermostat to cylinder head", if I remember right the hose needs to be replaced due to the oil leak.
Could I use this recall in my car as well once thats a 2012 model?
And what do I say at the dealership?
I bought this car in October last year and as my first BMW I'm not really familiarized with their recall policy.

Thanks!!
This thread is discussing the 4 cyl timing chain issue. Not sure how a oil filter housing gasket on a 6 cyl would relate to the lawsuit
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #146
94vtirozguy
Private
United_States
Rep

well today i got the bad news. My BMW ticked over 80k and the timing chain guide has lost a piece. I had an oil leak i had mechanic check out and at the same i asked him to pop the valve cover to take look. He confirmed the guide has lost a piece.

Caught it in time, now explaining the court case to the dealership.

Last edited by 94vtirozguy; 08-19-2021 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #147
mike_MAN
Private
Rep

Hearing that makes my heart sink.
I just e-mailed a dealership to ask if they can do anything for me, at the very least replace the tensioner. Less than 24hours, still waiting on an answer.
Curious to see how they handle your situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #148
94vtirozguy
Private
United_States
Rep

the dealer said its over 8 years old, but i told them there is a provisio in the settlement that the car is still covered for a year after settlement date as it hasnt done 100k.

waiting for a comment back
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #149
94vtirozguy
Private
United_States
Rep

just heard back from dealership at BMW. To fix it (mind you the engine is running)....

Estimate $3000 is our portion of the fix (we pay 45%), normally 6000 to 7000 job and that was an estimate lol. What a joke. Last BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #150
Fodaski55
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

N20 settlement estimate

I feel your pain but with my X3 I was over in years and mileage. I had 2 dealer estimates that averaged $5500. If you plan on keeping it,you will do better than my situation :mad0260.My only recourse was to go to an independent BMW service area in East Windsor Ct.Munich Motorsports. I had a the same work done that was quoted at the two dealers for 2K less. Good luck,and yes this is my last BMW.they should of recalled all affected vin numbers and repaired.they did not stand behind a known defect
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 08:17 PM   #151
94vtirozguy
Private
United_States
Rep

also just fled a complaint at h t t p s :// w w w.n h t s a .g o v. If everyone does this as mentioned on other forums hopefully they are forced into a recall
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 07:33 AM   #152
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

Quote:
What was the name of the part that failed or the part number? When I read 2017 I thought you had a timing chain failure but it was something else. It's unfortunate to read this happening to your car.
| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2022 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD |
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #153
spudslatte
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 x28i F25 70k mi

Question for all - if BMW doesn't come through, is this something that would be covered under a reputable aftermarket warranty company?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #154
mike_MAN
Private
Rep

I got an explanation from a local dealership mechanic. He's had experience with this before and says the test is very accurate.
He told me BMW will pay for the test as a one time thing. If it passes, they do nothing. If it fails, they fix it and you probably pay for some of it. However, if it does pass, you have 8 months for there to be a problem with the system that BMW will cover all or some of it to fix. After 8 months, you're on your own. I would probably test it again after 6 months to see if it still passes the test.
He said the problem is not the tensioner, but didn't get into detail and he suggested to do an oil and filter change in between regular intervals so about every 5k miles.

I contacted the dealership I normally go to for service via e-mail and never got a response. This other dealership I contact is ///M certified center.
Appreciate 0