BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #441
gazzer666
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2015 XLine 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounderboy View Post
Lol you had it bad!

Couple of things I noticed on my quick drive..
  • idrive will take some getting used to.
  • No power socket in rear for passengers
  • I thought if you hold lock button down the mirrors folded in but they didn't
  • button to left of volume knob - not sure what it does?
  • Love sync'd heating controls
  • nice to have DAB
  • seat not as comfortable as Volvo and I am surprised how close Volvo is to BMW in a lot of aspects..
  • Wheels look much nicer in flesh and might prefer them..
The idrive is great and you'll soon get used to it. Swerving towards oncoming traffic is now my particular speciality as I scroll through all the menus

I got the rear power sockets as part of the extended storage pack. The car has 4 in total.

The button to the left of the volume turns on/off the Radio traffic reports - The TP button basically (that gets annoying when your station keeps getting interrupted in rush hour)

The seats are much better than the ones in my 3 series previously. Although I did go for lumbar support this time which helps a lot.

Not sure about the mirrors - I didn't choose the electric folding option at all.

Don't mention the wheels - grrrrr

Enjoy

Last edited by gazzer666; 11-20-2014 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #442
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
If the mirrors aren't folding in when you hold the lock button on the remote this can be coded (I'm assuming that you have electric folding mirrors) - once they start to fold you can let go of the button and they will complete the process

I believe that you can also code the delay (i.e. the length of time that you have to hold the button before they start to fold) - I know this is a codable option on other Fxx series cars so I'm assuming that it's there on the F25

Don't know if you've realised but the 8 'radio preset' buttons can be linked to activate virtually anything in iDrive - common telephone numbers, trip computer, map display, X-drive status... oh and radio stations
      11-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #443
Akers
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 MSport 2.0 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounderboy
Haha you are both hilarious... actually their calling card is much more impressive..
Congrats, very nice.the replacement wheels actually look much better. Enjoy your new toy. Post some interior pictures please . Can't wait for mine. Only another month to go!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #444
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 LCI 2.0d X-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post
If the mirrors aren't folding in when you hold the lock button on the remote this can be coded (I'm assuming that you have electric folding mirrors) - once they start to fold you can let go of the button and they will complete the process

Don't know if you've realised but the 8 'radio preset' buttons can be linked to activate virtually anything in iDrive - common telephone numbers, trip computer, map display, X-drive status... oh and radio stations
Well perhaps mirrors don't fold - they are electric but couldn't see a button tol fold them... expecting too much. It is a standard X-line with no extras..

Not set up the preset buttons yet. Did try and add a radio station and it said couldn't be saved.. but sure user error is the problem and RTFM is the order of the day... is there an online version does anyone know or do I need to go and get the paper one out car...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #445
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well perhaps mirrors don't fold - they are electric but couldn't see a button tol fold them... expecting too much. It is a standard X-line with no extras..

Not set up the preset buttons yet. Did try and add a radio station and it said couldn't be saved.. but sure user error is the problem and RTFM is the order of the day... is there an online version does anyone know or do I need to go and get the paper one out car...
If you have an Android tablet or phone, you can download an app called 'BMW Driver's Guide' via the Play Store, you enter the last 7 digits of your VIN and it pulls down an electronic version of the manual that's indexed and picture searchable with animations - when you start it, it even has a picture of the F25 LCI on the 'cover'

Probably available for iDevices too...
      11-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #446
Akers
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 MSport 2.0 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn
Quote:

If you have an Android tablet or phone, you can download an app called 'BMW Driver's Guide' via the Play Store, you enter the last 7 digits of your VIN and it pulls down an electronic version of the manual that's indexed and picture searchable with animations - when you start it, it even has a picture of the F25 LCI on the 'cover'

Available on iOS as well
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #447
cumbrianlad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Yes very happy thanks. I think the wheels were always a first world problem and more to do with promise and delivery..

And thanks for the comments on my parking, after "wheel gate" do you think I am going to park that near on first ever trip!

EDIT .. Just realised what you did there! Nice photoshopping - tsk shows how minor a difference it is !
Ahhhh so the bricks have been photoshopped to look like wheels! Very good. That's why it's so far from the kerb. To allow the brickie to lay the bricks.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:32 AM   #448
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post

Thank you ..

SAT NAV a little disappointing doesn't have Postcode for my house... wouldn't mind but it is 20yrs old! Only business NAV but still.. Also delivery driver couldn't find our office building, even though he put a number in it dumped him at bottom of street..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:45 AM   #449
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d SE

Quote:
Thank you ..

SAT NAV a little disappointing doesn't have Postcode for my house... wouldn't mind but it is 20yrs old! Only business NAV but still.. Also delivery driver couldn't find our office building, even though he put a number in it dumped him at bottom of street..
That's not good - I'd expect it to be all singing considering what £150 will buy these days. I'd expect it's the same geographic info that goes into both the Business and Pro units.
Always surprises me that there's not a common interface (e.g. some sort of HDMI with USB) so the likes of Garmin etc. could produce a plug-in module that integrates with the screen, mic and buttons of a vehicle.

Apart from that, is it meeting or exceeding your expectations?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #450
charlesfarsbar
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White X3 20d

Been following this thread with interest over the past few months....

I ordered my 20 D Xline back in early July, the dealer advised a delivery time of the end of September (Halliwell Jones in Warrington) which I was very pleased with

However about a month later she rang to advised about the 607 wheels being discontined and if I wanted to wait for the replacement wheels it would push the delivery date back to late December, if I switched to the 605 wheels I could keep the current delivery date (end of Sept)

having had a quick look at the 605's online I decided to switch.....

Picked my car up as advised on the 30th September and very happy with it.

The wheels actually look very good in the flesh and actually look a bit more robust than the 607's

Fuel economy isnt the best at the moment , averaging 37MPG since I picked it up....hopefully will see an improvement over the next coupld of months.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:56 AM   #451
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesfarsbar View Post

I ordered my 20 D Xline back in early July, the dealer advised a delivery time of the end of September (Halliwell Jones in Warrington) which I was very pleased with

However about a month later she rang to advised about the 607 wheels being discontined and if I wanted to wait for the replacement wheels it would push the delivery date back to late December, if I switched to the 605 wheels I could keep the current delivery date (end of Sept)

The wheels actually look very good in the flesh and actually look a bit more robust than the 607's

Fuel economy isnt the best at the moment , averaging 37MPG since I picked it up....hopefully will see an improvement over the next coupld of months.
Congratulations - and don't be a stranger - show some pics - what interior did you go for.

With regards to enconomy I only saw that type of figure in my Volvo V60 so I would be happy with that - but don't do much Motorway at all..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 05:32 AM   #452
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesfarsbar View Post

Congratulations

Typically, the mpg will improve as the engine loosens up a bit - the N47 2.0d in our 1 series improved by approx 15% over the first 10k miles - still under 2k in our LCI so it'll be a while before I see if the same holds true for the B47 engine

MPG also tends to be temperature dependent so expect your current mpg to get a bit worse over the colder months and then improve again in the spring.
      11-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #453
charlesfarsbar
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White X3 20d

Quote:
Congratulations - and don't be a stranger - show some pics - what interior did you go for.

With regards to enconomy I only saw that type of figure in my Volvo V60 so I would be happy with that - but don't do much Motorway at all..
Yes, will post some pics when I get the chance...

I went for Apline white with Mocha / Dark copper interior...... it looks really good in the flesh and a bit different to the usual blacks or cream interiors. ( I had a 3 series M sport coupe before with nevada black...it was a bit dull to be honest)

I also went for the moon roof which adds loads of light into the cabin so pleased with that.

I was a bit concerned about the business sat nav and the standard seats but both are absolutely fine and has saved me £1300 by not adding the upgrade

The only slight bugbear is the lack of engine refinement at low speed , it sounds like a tractor! but this is probably due to my heavy right foot!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #454
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
That's not good - I'd expect it to be all singing considering what £150 will buy these days. I'd expect it's the same geographic info that goes into both the Business and Pro units.
Always surprises me that there's not a common interface (e.g. some sort of HDMI with USB) so the likes of Garmin etc. could produce a plug-in module that integrates with the screen, mic and buttons of a vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post

Honestly.. having never owned a BMW before I assumed that it was untouchable above anything Volvo offered me.. I had two in a row V50 then V60 and am used to various Audis too..

It is probably just different at the moment - but bugging me things I am missing. Some of it might be moving from top of the range to lower in the range without all the options.. also moving from Estate car to 4x4.. seats are nowhere near as comfy or supportive. But again that is like an armchair thing - need time to bed in.. and Volvo known for nice seats..

Also feel a little highup/perched rather than cosseted.. I am used to driving Q7's and it feels like a sports/saloon car even though high from the ground.. But not fair to compare the two as Q7 not in my budget.

I haven't set up the iDrive properly but out of the box everything seems 5 presses away. Also wife doesn't like that it doesn't remember her heated seats were on following switch off.. but said nice things about it..

Mocha Interior looks great though..

Also partly because I built it up and up over 6mths and it never had a chance to living up to what I had built it up to in my mind. Am i regretting it no - is it a great car - absolutely. Exceeding expectations no..

Umm'd and erred about sending this as really don't want to come across as ungrateful tw@t.. just my honest feelings but I am very lucky to even get the chance to own one.. It is not love at first sight but happy to have it as trusty friend... and looking forward to loving it..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #455
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d SE

Quote:
Honestly.. having never owned a BMW before I assumed that it was untouchable above anything Volvo offered me.. I had two in a row V50 then V60 and am used to various Audis too..

It is probably just different at the moment - but bugging me things I am missing. Some of it might be moving from top of the range to lower in the range without all the options.. also moving from Estate car to 4x4.. seats are nowhere near as comfy or supportive. But again that is like an armchair thing - need time to bed in.. and Volvo known for nice seats..

Also feel a little highup/perched rather than cosseted.. I am used to driving Q7's and it feels like a sports/saloon car even though high from the ground.. But not fair to compare the two as Q7 not in my budget.

I haven't set up the iDrive properly but out of the box everything seems 5 presses away. Also wife doesn't like that it doesn't remember her heated seats were on following switch off.. but said nice things about it..

Mocha Interior looks great though..

Also partly because I built it up and up over 6mths and it never had a chance to living up to what I had built it up to in my mind. Am i regretting it no - is it a great car - absolutely. Exceeding expectations no..

Umm'd and erred about sending this as really don't want to come across as ungrateful tw@t.. just my honest feelings but I am very lucky to even get the chance to own one.. It is not love at first sight but happy to have it as trusty friend... and looking forward to loving it..
That makes sense - Be interesting to know your thoughts after a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #456
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also wife doesn't like that it doesn't remember her heated seats were on following switch off.. but said nice things about it..
It should remember the heated seat settings - but only for a limited time, then it defaults them to off.

I haven't investigated these myself yet, but I recall seeing something about being able to code them to change the amount of time they retain the retain the setting - and I think if you set the time to 0 it acts to make them never forget the last setting.

It also appears to be possible to change the temperatures for each of the three heat levels for the seats (possibly with different settings for each seat)
      11-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #457
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Bounderboy ... Congratulations and it does look good on the 605 wheels

I'm sure you will adjust to it .. The driving position will grow on you, the Volvo is pretty low slung. I've done countless 10's thousands of miles in range rovers/discos/ML's and X5's at work .. Being high up really does offer great benefits both in town on the motorway and country lanes.

You can throw them around ... They roll but once you are used to that they don't half hang on ...

The seats in BMW's are a emotive issue .. I've had one with the standard seats and all the ones at work have them .. In mine it took me weeks to find the sweet spot .. But when I did it was great .. But I dreaded it going in for a service as I was back to square one again!

The works cars I used to just try and hit the spot .. Sometimes I'd be fiddling with the seat for most of the day other times I'd just hit the spot.

The sport seats are totally different very very comfortable and subsequently the first thing I specced on my new one.

The Nav?

Well I have the pro nav ... And it's not as easy to use or as good as my Waze which is a free app. I remain unconvinced by either business nav or the pro nav but at least the pro nav has the other benefits such as glitzy dash and the other features.

I don't necessarily think it is just a bmw issue as my wife uses her Waze app as it's better at avoiding traffic and finding new routes than the factory unit in her Mercedes .. The sat nav in my last Audi was pretty crap too!

But manufacturers will always struggle as with product development times you will always be several years behind the best apps or stand alone navs!

But then it's not stuck to the bloody windscreen !!

The I drive is superb and once you get the hang of it .. It's very intuitive

The shortcut buttons are fantastic .. For instance one touch to fav nav destinations or phone numbers .. I have one set to turn the screen off .. Epic at night on dark roads

Economy .. Well that is very subjective .. But for the size and weight of it anything into the 40's is pretty good really

I did a long trip on Wednesday down to the midlands from the north and got 47 out of my x1

Can't complain at that ... And I'd expect more from the new X3 with the new engine.

All in all BB I think that it will grow on you

Andy

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #458
gazzer666
Private
Rep

Looks like the 607 wheels are back on the menu according to BMW UK. Sent them some of the info in this thread about people getting them next Feb:

"Thank you for your further email dated November 18, 2014. I am sorry to learn of your continued dissatisfaction with regards to the availability of the 18” 607 style alloy wheels. I can certainly understand the frustration this must be causing you, especially as you state a friend of yours has had his order confirmed with these alloy wheels.

As previously mentioned, due to ongoing supply issues regarding the 18” 607 style alloy wheels (option 2E1), these have been heavily restricted throughout 2014. I can advise, this option has since been removed from November 2014 and is no longer available for customers to order. However, the BMW UK Sales Office are expecting the supply channel to reopen in January 2015. If this is the case, orders for these alloy wheels will commence from February 2015. As your friends order is planned for production in February 2015, BMW Germany are expecting this alloy wheel option to be available, therefore, orders maybe accepted for vehicles entering production after the supply channel has reopened in January 2015.

I note that you are unhappy that this information has not been updated onto our website. As I am sure you will appreciate, the BMW UK website has the following disclaimer, which can be viewed on the legal notice link at the bottom of the website:

‘All products and services on this website are subject to availability and may be withdrawn without notice. All products and services and all prices are also subject to change without notice. These website terms should be read in conjunction with the separate terms and conditions for the sale or supply of the individual products or services which are referred to on this website. In the event of any inconsistency between these terms and the specific product or service terms and conditions, the latter shall prevail.’ "
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #459
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
Bounderboy ... Congratulations and it does look good on the 605 wheels

All in all BB I think that it will grow on you

Andy
I think you are right. Lots of time yet :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #460
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzer666 View Post
Looks like the 607 wheels are back on the menu according to BMW UK. Sent them some of the info in this thread about people getting them next Feb:

"Thank you for your further email dated November 18, 2014. I am sorry to learn of your continued dissatisfaction with regards to the availability of the 18” 607 style alloy wheels. I can certainly understand the frustration this must be causing you, especially as you state a friend of yours has had his order confirmed with these alloy wheels.

As previously mentioned, due to ongoing supply issues regarding the 18” 607 style alloy wheels (option 2E1), these have been heavily restricted throughout 2014. I can advise, this option has since been removed from November 2014 and is no longer available for customers to order. However, the BMW UK Sales Office are expecting the supply channel to reopen in January 2015. If this is the case, orders for these alloy wheels will commence from February 2015. As your friends order is planned for production in February 2015, BMW Germany are expecting this alloy wheel option to be available, therefore, orders maybe accepted for vehicles entering production after the supply channel has reopened in January 2015.

I note that you are unhappy that this information has not been updated onto our website. As I am sure you will appreciate, the BMW UK website has the following disclaimer, which can be viewed on the legal notice link at the bottom of the website:

‘All products and services on this website are subject to availability and may be withdrawn without notice. All products and services and all prices are also subject to change without notice. These website terms should be read in conjunction with the separate terms and conditions for the sale or supply of the individual products or services which are referred to on this website. In the event of any inconsistency between these terms and the specific product or service terms and conditions, the latter shall prevail.’ "
Don't lose sight of the fact you didn't get them... getting dragged into symantecs about what is available now. The disclaimer doesn't cover you not getting what you ordered.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #461
gazzer666
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think you are right. Lots of time yet :-)
Yes early days still - once you get used to it, and start doing those family getaways etc you'll appreciate what a great car it is even more.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #462
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Or in my case, you don't appreciate what you had 'til it's gone. The MMI system in the A4 I'm now driving is an infuriating nightmare. If I want to play my own music I either have to take the nav DVD out to play a CD or I'll have to put everything onto SD cards. No USB, no bluetooth music streaming.

And the seats are positively uncomfortable compared to the standard seats in the X3.