BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #23
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
The reason I mention OEM rotors is because they are of know quality and I've never seen one warp. I'm not saying OEM is the best quality, but at least you know it's of decent quality, which can not be said for those $22 economy rotors, that I have seen warp.

OEM stuff lasts in most areas, I just changed the original rear rotors on my 2001 525i w/ 120k miles and there was only minor surface rust. Though if you live in a salt belt, high quality coated rotors are the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:03 AM   #24
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i X Drive M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
It's very rare for an OEM rotor to warp. I'm not saying it's not possible, or that yours weren't warped, I've just never seen it on an OEM rotor. I've tested many rotors that people thought were warped due to judder and none of tm were warped. What I did find was a deposit of brake pad material on one spot on the rotor that causes the pad to grab on each rotation making it appear as it could be a warped rotor. This is usually caused by a high speed emergency stop on the highway where the pad a rotor get really hot, then pad deposits excess material onto the rotor in one spot while stopped. Scuffing the rotor surface or resurfacing it corrected the judder. Of course replacing the rotor will fix it too, but if the rotor thickness has a lot of life left in it, then removing the excess pad material off the rotor will save the need to replace the rotors.
I never really thought about this but it certainly was a possibility. New rotors fixed the issue and yes turning the rotor could have also fixed the issue but when doing the job yourself rotors are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. One might safe a few bucks by getting them turned but finding a place to do them and the time involved should be taken into consideration. My point was though that replacing the rotors might not be necessary.

Thanks for the info on brake fluid change.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #25
DrvRUs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejryan10 View Post
Hey guys,
They quoted me with the rear break pads being replaced, the sensors for the break pads, break fluid change, and all of the labor (there might be another one or two things on the work up, but I'll add them if I find anything of significance) at just over $900. This very well could be a decent price or I could be getting ripped off, just curious what you guys think.
Just for comparison, my local indie shop in San Francisco quoted me $1000 for replacement of all four rotors and pads (including related parts like wear sensors, brackets, etc.) + labor. I recently performed a brake fluid change, but they would've charged ~$150 for parts and labor if I let them.

I recently DIY-ed this job, so happy to share my shopping list and process while it's fresh (if OP needs).
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #26
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvRUs View Post
Just for comparison, my local indie shop in San Francisco quoted me $1000 for replacement of all four rotors and pads (including related parts like wear sensors, brackets, etc.) + labor. I recently performed a brake fluid change, but they would've charged ~$150 for parts and labor if I let them.

I recently DIY-ed this job, so happy to share my shopping list and process while it's fresh (if OP needs).

do share, I am due for brakes soon and would love some insight
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #27
Ejryan10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 XDrive28i

Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,
They quoted me with the rear break pads being replaced, the sensors for the break pads, break fluid change, and all of the labor (there might be another one or two things on the work up, but I'll add them if I find anything of significance) at just over $900. This very well could be a decent price or I could be getting ripped off, just curious what you guys think.

Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

Yeah, I'm very interested in the shopping list and process!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #28
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

And btw, I'm so happy with all the info on this thread everyone has provided, but now that my typo on brakes has been pointed out, I'm mortified every time I see it moved to the top of this sub forum, lol.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #29
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
And btw, I'm so happy with all the info on this thread everyone has provided, but now that my typo on brakes has been pointed out, I'm mortified every time I see it moved to the top of this sub forum, lol.
Ha ha ha, funny, somehow I "think" you can change it by editing your OP. Anyway, no worries...here's my recent brake pad/rotor change. I was able to get 80K miles on my original OEM pads/rotors - amazing. 2011 X3 35i. I couldn't wait for them to wear out, I hated the constant brake dust on my wheels even after one short day of driving plus the black stream rolling down my driveway when washing them.

My new set up is: Akebono ceramic pads with Zimmerman rotors. I had them replaced while I was on vacation so had to pay someone to do it but you can buy the new pads and rotors and DIY.

- Pads were Euro 1561 on the front: $55 incl sensor for both fronts. Euro 1473 on the rear: $60 for both rears plus $22 for the sensor. Rock Auto (Amazon has them too)
- Rotors were $140 a pair on the front and $120 a pair on the rear. ECS Tuning

Its an easy process to replace the pads and rotors, plan on 30 minutes per corner if you are experienced and have the tools.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #30
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaiderDavid View Post
I never really thought about this but it certainly was a possibility. New rotors fixed the issue and yes turning the rotor could have also fixed the issue but when doing the job yourself rotors are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. One might safe a few bucks by getting them turned but finding a place to do them and the time involved should be taken into consideration.
For rotors in good shape with a lot of life left, but with pad deposits on one place of the rotors that causes judder, I've just taken my random orbital sander to them to remove the pad deposits using a 80 grit sanding disc and judder was completely gone. Rotors are cheap enough so replacing them works too
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #31
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

FCP Euro sells a complete brake kit for $424. Lifetime warranty on the parts. So, $900 to do the rear brakes and fluid is extremely expensive.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...4106879122ktfr

For $80 you buy yourself a Power Bleeder.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/eur...oducts-mot0109

and 2 liters of DOT4 fluid for $13/each.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/amb...-dot4-dotamber

And 3-5 hours of your time depending on your skill to replace all 4 brakes.

Just saved you $370. Actually, saved you $1,270 assuming it is another $900 to also do the front brakes.
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #32
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
FCP Euro sells a complete brake kit for $424. Lifetime warranty on the parts. So, $900 to do the rear brakes and fluid is extremely expensive.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...4106879122ktfr

For $80 you buy yourself a Power Bleeder.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/eur...oducts-mot0109

and 2 liters of DOT4 fluid for $13/each.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/amb...-dot4-dotamber

And 3-5 hours of your time depending on your skill to replace all 4 brakes.

Just saved you $370. Actually, saved you $1,270 assuming it is another $900 to also do the front brakes.
I've actually just decided to trade my X3 in on a 2020 Telluride instead, lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #33
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

need brakes = traded in car

man I cringe at the thought of what'll happen if a dentist told you that you have a cavity
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #34
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Telluride? Would you mind giving us your reasons for selecting the Telluride?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #35
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post

man I cringe at the thought of what'll happen if a dentist told you that you have a cavity
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 05:13 PM   #36
Iowa X3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:

For a Kia, no less.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #37
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa X3 View Post
Quote:

For a Kia, no less.
Quote:
Quote:

For a Kia, no less.
So you sir, are one big reason I'm dipping out of the BMW life. The snobbery that's associated with this brand is ridiculous, lol. If you'd bother to do so research, you'd find that the Telluride has won multiple awards this past year and that Kia's reliability is actually quite amazing now a days. But hey, continue to prove why BMW owners are mostly considered arrogant pricks!

P.S. me trading in my X3 has nothing to do with breaks my friends, my family is increasing by two with twins in the way, and fitting 3 car seats across the back row of an X3 isn't gonna work. So keep judging guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #38
Iowa X3
Private
Rep

Quote:
So you sir, are one big reason I'm dipping out of the BMW life. The snobbery that's associated with this brand is ridiculous, lol. If you'd bother to do so research, you'd find that the Telluride has won multiple awards this past year and that Kia's reliability is actually quite amazing now a days. But hey, continue to prove why BMW owners are mostly considered arrogant pricks!

P.S. me trading in my X3 has nothing to do with breaks my friends, my family is increasing by two with twins in the way, and fitting 3 car seats across the back row of an X3 isn't gonna work. So keep judging guys!
LOL, it's still a Kia. You shouldn't feel the need to justify your purchase if you're truly at peace with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #39
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
Telluride? Would you mind giving us your reasons for selecting the Telluride?
Quote:
Quote:

For a Kia, no less.
Sure

1) Telluride is one of the hottest midsized SUVs on the market right now. Absolutely love the look of it and what you get for the price. 95% of the luxury of a BMW with a lot of equipment on it that is standard and would costs thousands to add onto a BMW (LKA, Rear cross traffic alert, Blind spot monitoring, lane following assist, lane departure warning, forward collision warning, etc). Btw, all those I listed are standard on the base trim level. So yeah, I'm this time we're living in, I'd rather my money go as far as I can instead of getting nickled and dimed over these features.

2) 10 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty, 5 year, 60,000 bumper to bumper warranty

3) with one child already and twins on the way, needed a bigger family vehicle. Telluride offers some of the largest interior passenger space in its class, especially the third row.

4) not willing to pay the premium tax on a BMW anymore with vehicles such as the Telluride out now. Especially with the Telluride racking up awards after awards, including Motortrend's vehicle of the year.

Those are a few of the reasons I'm making the switch.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #40
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

LOL, it's still a Kia. You shouldn't feel the need to justify your purchase if you're truly at peace with it.
Quote:
Quote:

For a Kia, no less.
And you're still a judgemental jackass! I'm completely at peace with it! This is completely reaffirming my decision by the way, so thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #41
Iowa X3
Private
Rep

Quote:
And you're still a judgemental jackass! I'm completely at peace with it! This is completely reaffirming my decision by the way, so thank you!
No need for the name calling, completely unwarranted. Enjoy your new Kia!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #42
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No need for the name calling, completely unwarranted. Enjoy your new Kia!
Lmao, sure man, hurt getting called out on it, eh? I wasn't the one with the lovely snarky comment to start it off! I will enjoy it, thank you! It'll be nice not being associated with people like you anymore
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #43
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You start a thread about the high costs of "Breaks", really, get some good advice for lowing the cost to replace them, then you come back with you traded the X3 in and got a Kia. What are people suppose to think

Maybe if you said, we've outgrown the X3 with twins on the way and needed something so we got a Tellurid, you'd have gotten different responses. Seems like all you wanted to do was some typical trolling and stir things up here.

BTW They are spelled brakes not breaks
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #44
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:

You start a thread about the high costs of "Breaks", really, get some good advice for lowing the cost to replace them, then you come back with you traded the X3 in and got a Kia. What are people suppose to think

Maybe if you said, we've outgrown the X3 with twins on the way and needed something so we got a Tellurid, you'd have gotten different responses. Seems like all you wanted to do was some typical trolling and stir things up here.

BTW They are spelled brakes not breaks
BTW, the brake thing was already addressed and I've already replied to it, so good job on beating that dead horse. Second off, my reply that I'm trading in game at least a month if not longer after my initial post, so way to just assume! God, one after another proving my point of BMW owners being the same! Y'all enjoy your life, after a year with this brand, it ain't for me. Peace!
Appreciate 0