BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #45
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Take it out on the highway on a windy day.
I drove a Q5 during the X3 Experience. The wind noise from the sun roof was horrible and it was buffeted by the wind much more than the X3.

yep, I noticed the wind noise too, but I'm not a huge fan of a moonroof anyway....so that's not a big issue for me. It will be closed all the time! I was actually thinking of not ordering one on the X3, but my husband really wants it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #46
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007 View Post
yep, I noticed the wind noise too, but I'm not a huge fan of a moonroof anyway....so that's not a big issue for me. It will be closed all the time! I was actually thinking of not ordering one on the X3, but my husband really wants it.
When I test drove the Q5 the sunroof WAS closed. That’s why I was surprised at the amount of wind noise coming from it. It was loud enough to make me check twice that it was fully closed. I think part of the problem is that the “shade” is very thin and see-through compared to the more beefy shade in the X3.

I’m also not a fan of sunroofs either, but I wanted the tech package and the other stuff that came with Premium, so I had no choice but to accept the hole in my roof.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #47
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
When I test drove the Q5 the sunroof WAS closed. That’s why I was surprised at the amount of wind noise coming from it. It was loud enough to make me check twice that it was fully closed. I think part of the problem is that the “shade” is very thin and see-through compared to the more beefy shade in the X3.

I’m also not a fan of sunroofs either, but I wanted the tech package and the other stuff that came with Premium, so I had no choice but to accept the hole in my roof.
Ah...gotcha. Well, I didn't notice it. It could be because I had my toddler with me who rarely has a quiet moment. Or it could be the one we drove was quiet. Either way I may opt out of the moonroof on either car. Not sure yet. Probably WILL get it on the X3 and not on the Q5.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #48
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

When I drove the Q5, I immediately noted the thin, transparent nature of the shade for the sunroof. I don't that shade would provide as much heat protection as the BMW roof shade does. It was one immediate mark against the G5 for me. I have since noted that this type of shade material must be standard for Audi, as a friend took me along on a test-drive a Q7 and we noted the same shade material. BTW, I found the Q7 to be a gargantuan vehicle...
      04-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #49
senoromar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i M-Sport

I have a Q5 and don't notice the wind noise you guys are talking about. I'm sure it's there and likely have grown oblivious to it.

I really do love my Q5 (3.2L). Before the new X3 came out, I think it was the best in the class. It has a nice balance of sporty with smoothness and many have complimented how smooth the ride is. I had an FX before and got tired of the bumpy ride. When I need that extra punch, I drop it in S mode and it goes. I remember the steering feeling very weird when I first got it, how artificially soft it is, but now I love it. Turning through parking garages is buttery smooth and it tightens up when you go faster.

So why is this Q5 guy on an X3 forum? Because I'm looking for something a lot faster and fun and the new X3 35i is definitely that. I test drove one and walked out with a smile on my face. I've compared the two closely and the X3 wins in almost every facet, from power to interior dimensions and technology. It's about a second faster to 60 and with better fuel economy. I liked the seating in the X3 a lot... i felt I was seated more vertically, similar to a range rover. My 6'2" buddy who test drove with me felt very comfortable in the back seat. The shifter and the blinker were weird to me, but i'm sure I can adjust to those. My Q5 does have a large sunroof though and a little more trunk space.

I'm hoping to get out of my Q5 lease soon (apparently it's worth a decent amount more than my payoff) and finally join the BMW family. I'm not looking to custom order so I'm hoping more appear at dealerships later this summer. I'm a bit spoiled with all the dealerships here in southern california but since i'm not a repeat customer it's tough to get a good deal. I test drove a gray with chestnut interior which I thought looked very nice. Or i may go classic black on black again like my Q5. It does get pricey though with all the options... i consider premium, tech, convenience, sat radio, and sport activity my must haves (i loved how the sport seats hug you), premium sound and heated seats my nice to have.

I can't wait to get it and get that smile back on my face again!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #50
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

At senoromar...Go up to BMW of Valencia ask for Lynn in fleet sales. ~$1000 over invoice. Better yet, just call. They deliever.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #51
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by senoromar View Post
I have a Q5 and don't notice the wind noise you guys are talking about. I'm sure it's there and likely have grown oblivious to it.

I really do love my Q5 (3.2L). Before the new X3 came out, I think it was the best in the class. It has a nice balance of sporty with smoothness and many have complimented how smooth the ride is. I had an FX before and got tired of the bumpy ride. When I need that extra punch, I drop it in S mode and it goes. I remember the steering feeling very weird when I first got it, how artificially soft it is, but now I love it. Turning through parking garages is buttery smooth and it tightens up when you go faster.

So why is this Q5 guy on an X3 forum? Because I'm looking for something a lot faster and fun and the new X3 35i is definitely that. I test drove one and walked out with a smile on my face. I've compared the two closely and the X3 wins in almost every facet, from power to interior dimensions and technology. It's about a second faster to 60 and with better fuel economy. I liked the seating in the X3 a lot... i felt I was seated more vertically, similar to a range rover. My 6'2" buddy who test drove with me felt very comfortable in the back seat. The shifter and the blinker were weird to me, but i'm sure I can adjust to those. My Q5 does have a large sunroof though and a little more trunk space.

I'm hoping to get out of my Q5 lease soon (apparently it's worth a decent amount more than my payoff) and finally join the BMW family. I'm not looking to custom order so I'm hoping more appear at dealerships later this summer. I'm a bit spoiled with all the dealerships here in southern california but since i'm not a repeat customer it's tough to get a good deal. I test drove a gray with chestnut interior which I thought looked very nice. Or i may go classic black on black again like my Q5. It does get pricey though with all the options... i consider premium, tech, convenience, sat radio, and sport activity my must haves (i loved how the sport seats hug you), premium sound and heated seats my nice to have.

I can't wait to get it and get that smile back on my face again!
Please don’t get me wrong with my criticism of the Q5. The day I test drove the cars was extremely windy. I doubt I would have heard the noise difference on a normal day. The Q5 was a very nice car overall, and as you say is probably a top 3 contender in that class. It excels in a lot of areas, and has very few shortcomings. If not for driving it back to back against the X3 I’d be strongly considering one myself.

I give credit to BMW for choosing some excellent cars to compete against the new X3 at their promotional event.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #52
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

When trying to choose between a Q5 and an X3 back in November last year, I asked the only Audi dealer in town if he had one to test drive. They must have sold them in droves, because I was told I'd have to wait until January-February as they did not have any. Conversely, BMW called me and offered me to be the first person to drive the first X3 they got, and they kept their promise soon thereafter. In terms of customer service, all things being equal, I cannot give the palm to a dealer that does not keep a test model. I truly believe that BMW has raised the bar with the X3, but I would not be surprised to see Audi up the ante next year. And it is a good thing: competition means the customer wins.
Appreciate 0