BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Question Remote Key Fob

For those of you w/o the convenience package, what does your key fob do? Can it operate the tailgate (if one adds that option)?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
abliebowitz
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

I dud not order the convenience package. My keyfob does allow me to open the rear hatch though
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abliebowitz View Post
I dud not order the convenience package. My keyfob does allow me to open the rear hatch though
Great to know. Do you find the auto rear hatch release a feature you use a lot or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm pretty sure you can operate the tailgate with the key if you have the power tailgate, not sure if convenience package is necessary in order to open and close by itself. You can also program how high to have the tailgate open by itself through iDrive.

Just a picture of the key and it's buttons:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pg32.pdf (521.9 KB, 339 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
I'm pretty sure you can operate the tailgate with the key if you have the power tailgate, not sure if convenience package is necessary in order to open and close by itself. You can also program how high to have the tailgate open by itself through iDrive.

Just a picture of the key and it's buttons:
Well the Conf Pkg gives you remote keyless touch entry so I was wondering if the key fob is different for those who have the Conv Pkg as opposed to not.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Key fob looks the same and when I get my car I will find the auto rear hatch release as a good feature and will use a lot. Whatever cleaning we do on the car, the hatchback part usually gets more dirt and I do not like to touch it when its dirty.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymk5 View Post
Key fob looks the same and when I get my car I will find the auto rear hatch release as a good feature and will use a lot. Whatever cleaning we do on the car, the hatchback part usually gets more dirt and I do not like to touch it when its dirty.
The remote will open the rear hatch (if you have the power-opening hatch option) and the iDrive interface will allow you to preset how far the hatch opens. The remote key will not allow you to close the hatch. You can also open the hatch by pressing a button at the front edge of the driver's door opening or by pressing the rubber covered release button above the license plate.

To close the hatch you must press a button on the bottom edge of the hatch itself (and then get out of the way).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
flash3
Captain
Rep

I'm debating whether it's worth it now, because I was told I can open it AND close it from the remote.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
I'm debating whether it's worth it now, because I was told I can open it AND close it from the remote.
Believe it's a safety issue. They don't want someone out of visual range closing the hatch on an adult or a child. It actually closes pretty fast. I believe it has a force sensing system so will stop if it hits something, but probably could injure a hand or finger, or knock someone down if it hit one's head.

I haven't found the lack of a remote "close" to be an issue, and being able to open the hatch remotely when you're approaching the car with two handfuls of groceries is a real advantage.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
flash3
Captain
Rep

Yeah it prob is a safety issue but I am debating whether the whole added option is worth getting now altogether...

Decisions.... lol
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
abliebowitz
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

I picked up my car last Saturday and love it! How exactly can you open the hatch on the car door handle? Is this available on all models?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

If only there was some kind of booklet with pictures and descriptions of these features and how they work. Oh, wait . . . .
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abliebowitz View Post
I picked up my car last Saturday and love it! How exactly can you open the hatch on the car door handle? Is this available on all models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
If only there was some kind of booklet with pictures and descriptions of these features and how they work. Oh, wait . . . .

See X3 Owner's Manual pp.39-40
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I believe it has a force sensing system so will stop if it hits something..
So if it is released and contacts a firm object at the rear (garage door) or is closed on a protruding holdall, it will come to a polite stop?
Max3
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max3Factor View Post
So if it is released and contacts a firm object at the rear (garage door) or is closed on a protruding holdall, it will come to a polite stop?
Max3
I just went out to the garage and tried it. I held on to the tailgate as it was about half-way open, and it comes to an immediate stop at about 15kG (33lbs.) pressure at the outer edge. It just stops (does not reverse). That is substantial force and is enough to probably damage the paint on the tailgates edge if it hits something like a solid garage door. Pressing the open button does not cause it to try to open any further. You must press the close button to reset the system.

My X3 was parked with the rear bumper 24 inches from the inside of the garage door surface. With the tailgate at the rearmost point in its opening arc, it was exactly 8 inches from the garage door. That means, the X3 must be parked with its rear bumper more than 16 inches from the garage door or any vertical object to avoid interference when you open it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

Lotus7, what a great help. Exactly what I needed to know, cheers. I have next to no clearance on the garage. Will need to ruggedise the surface to avoid skuffs and take care when to operate, but good to know the tailgate has brains.
Max3
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #17
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max3Factor View Post
Lotus7, what a great help. Exactly what I needed to know, cheers. I have next to no clearance on the garage. Will need to ruggedise the surface to avoid skuffs and take care when to operate, but good to know the tailgate has brains.
Max3
Sounds like a layer of rubber or soft foam might be in order for part of your garage door. There is no protection whatsoever on the edge of the tailgate, it's just a painted lip.

If the X3 is locked, pressing the "tailgate open" button does nothing. It's a two-step process; (1) press "unlock" button and then (2) press "tailgate open", so one is less likely to accidentally hit the tailgate release. However, if you leave the car unlocked it's just one hit on the remote to trigger it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
flash3
Captain
Rep

Is that the latest key fob attached above? I thought the newer ones were a bit more black than gray?
Appreciate 0