BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2024, 12:12 AM   #1
Aarzani2
Rep
Drives: Bmw x4m competition

Thoughts on Megan Racing Coilover Kit F98

Has anyone istalled a Coilover kit from Megan Racing on an F97 or F98 i would like to know your thoughts on them .

https://toofastautoparts.ca/products...SABEgITNPD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 10:37 AM   #2
Y0jjimb0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3, '20 F97 X3M

I wouldn't cheap out on something so integral to the feel of the vehicle. We've already spent so much on these things, I would suggest just springing a little more for the KWs, which are confirmed to be great.

These are only single adjustable and the fact that they don't come with a edc delete is sus.
Appreciate 3
joebie3458.50
itslaff68.00
      05-16-2024, 11:16 AM   #3
bad430benz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarzani2 View Post
Has anyone istalled a Coilover kit from Megan Racing on an F97 or F98 i would like to know your thoughts on them .

https://toofastautoparts.ca/products...SABEgITNPD_BwE
Actually just spend a little more and go with BC Racing coils . You don't need to spend KW money if you aren't putting them to use like they should be .

In defense of Megan Racing , I was actually going to see if they would give me a discount if I bought their coilovers and exhaust as a package deal but decided on BC after talking to the guy I bought my LMs from .
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 11:16 AM   #4
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: me crazy, Woo Hoo

Having been down the cheap coil over route with several other cars, I certainly wouldn't ever do it again. It definitely not worth the massive degrade in ride quality. Most of those coil overs, BC Racing, Megan, etc, are all the same cheap stuff. If all you care about is lowering your car there are certainly better ways to go about it...

Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 11:31 AM   #5
bad430benz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniphil View Post
Having been down the cheap coil over route with several other cars, I certainly wouldn't ever do it again. It definitely not worth the massive degrade in ride quality. Most of those coil overs, BC Racing, Megan, etc, are all the same cheap stuff. If all you care about is lowering your car there are certainly better ways to go about it...

Just my 2 cents...
Since you brought it up....what would be the better ways to go about it if all you want to do is lower it ? You know it really depends on the look you are going for . Springs don't always get it done and KW / Moton are only if you are using them for the reasons they are created .

Just curious on your thoughts since I have also come from a long background of modifications and have done every suspension change in history .
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 11:38 AM   #6
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: me crazy, Woo Hoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad430benz View Post
Since you brought it up....what would be the better ways to go about it if all you want to do is lower it ? You know it really depends on the look you are going for . Springs don't always get it done and KW / Moton are only if you are using them for the reasons they are created .

Just curious on your thoughts since I have also come from a long background of modifications and have done every suspension change in history .
For this platform the MSS kit comes to mind. Or just cheap lowering springs.
All the cheap coil overs I have tried usually end up seizing in the threads. The MSS kit seems priced competitive to coil overs so unless you wanted some good quality KW's I don't see why anyone would bother with cheap coil overs vs MSS.

Not only will you want an alignment afterwards but usually you need to loosen the suspension components to allow the bushings to reset to the lowered position, otherwise you will destroy the bushings quickly and you'll need to replace those as well.
Appreciate 1
Y0jjimb0418.50
      05-17-2024, 12:24 PM   #7
G20_Rico
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

A lot of people seem to have issues with clunking and what not with MSS. I've read that it's due to installation error but a lot of these folks aren't saying whether the issues been corrected or not. They end up ditching them for something else usually. BC's are the best bang for your buck if you want to go "lower". There's no point in spending MSS money when more can be had with BC's. KW's are probably the best of the best overall, but not everyone wants to spend 3400+ for them, plus labor to install. I guarantee most aren't even utilizing that setup to it's fullest potential. It's overkill. Megan Racing has come a long way but I would at the very least consider BC's over them. And to the chap that said it's "sus" for a company to not include an EDC delete kit....don't be weird. KW has one you can pair with any coilover setup you want. You can also code the feature out for a third of the price of the KW EDC delete kit, so there are options.
Appreciate 1
Diskz53.00
      05-17-2024, 01:07 PM   #8
Y0jjimb0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F97_Rico View Post
A lot of people seem to have issues with clunking and what not with MSS. I've read that it's due to installation error but a lot of these folks aren't saying whether the issues been corrected or not. They end up ditching them for something else usually. BC's are the best bang for your buck if you want to go "lower". There's no point in spending MSS money when more can be had with BC's. KW's are probably the best of the best overall, but not everyone wants to spend 3400+ for them, plus labor to install. I guarantee most aren't even utilizing that setup to it's fullest potential. It's overkill. Megan Racing has come a long way but I would at the very least consider BC's over them. And to the chap that said it's "sus" for a company to not include an EDC delete kit....don't be weird. KW has one you can pair with any coilover setup you want. You can also code the feature out for a third of the price of the KW EDC delete kit, so there are options.
It's indicative of the quality of the item if the company won't even go through the work to properly mitigate the electronic issues their part creates. It seems insane to me that people would buy a $70k+ vehicle and then have their vehicle throw codes because they cheaped out on one of the most important aspects of their vehicle performance.

Why buy this vehicle if you care about making it lower at the expense of the suspension functioning properly? I guarantee the megan damper is going to be a downgrade from the stock damper. Just use a quality spring and leave the stock dampers in place.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2024, 03:14 PM   #9
G20_Rico
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0jjimb0 View Post
It's indicative of the quality of the item if the company won't even go through the work to properly mitigate the electronic issues their part creates. It seems insane to me that people would buy a $70k+ vehicle and then have their vehicle throw codes because they cheaped out on one of the most important aspects of their vehicle performance.

Why buy this vehicle if you care about making it lower at the expense of the suspension functioning properly? I guarantee the megan damper is going to be a downgrade from the stock damper. Just use a quality spring and leave the stock dampers in place.
Seeing as the price point of everything else isn't 3400 or more, it makes sense why they wouldn't include the EDC delete modules. Again, something that can be mitigated by buying the KW module separately or having it coded out altogether. If you go any route other than the KW V3's, you should be prepared to spend extra on those two options. I'm in no way hating on Megan. They have definitely come a long way and their products are utilized highly on other platforms. Some that even compete in drifting events. So...they aren't complete crap. I've got a BMW certified mechanic available that does suspension work on the side. He's done plenty of BC setups on all sorts of BMW's. There's nothing wrong with going with something cheaper if it works.
Appreciate 2
Jnat604.00
      05-20-2024, 12:26 AM   #10
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Guess people enjoy getting railed by the BMW tax companies continually get away with charging.

Not any feedback on Megan products for our vehicles, but have only heard good things about BC Racing coilovers. Very happy with mine, also. You can also have the EDC coded out for way cheaper than the KW delete kit. Can always get it coded back later... still for cheaper than the KW delete.

But hell, I'd be interested in knowing if the Megan's work well or not.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2024, 02:53 PM   #11
bad430benz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0jjimb0 View Post

Just out of curiosity , how often do you track your M ? Do you have aftermarket wheels ?

The EDC delete eliminates codes so that's not an issue . $1600.00 for coils and modules isn't bad if you ask me .
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 06:28 PM   #12
Y0jjimb0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad430benz View Post
Just out of curiosity , how often do you track your M ? Do you have aftermarket wheels ?

The EDC delete eliminates codes so that's not an issue . $1600.00 for coils and modules isn't bad if you ask me .
I haven't tracked the F97 yet but I track my E46 about every month or so, though less since my son was born this year. I have Volk G025s on the F97 with tmps sensors. I run canyons with the F97 once a week or so.
Appreciate 1