BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2023, 05:13 AM   #991
bennywebb
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Been jealous of how nice de-chromed black kidneys look on the X3 pics posted, so ordered myself a set off ebay. Arrived today but ebay being ebay, one of them had a broken tab though a blob of epoxy should sort that out.
Also got some gloss black mirror caps to tie it all together against the Alpinweiss for that Stormtrooper look.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 12:57 PM   #992
mwat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [10.00]
2001 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennywebb View Post
Been jealous of how nice de-chromed black kidneys look on the X3 pics posted, so ordered myself a set off ebay. Arrived today but ebay being ebay, one of them had a broken tab though a blob of epoxy should sort that out.
Also got some gloss black mirror caps to tie it all together against the Alpinweiss for that Stormtrooper look.
I did both the grilles and the mirror caps in gloss black, it was challenging to say the least...

For the mirror caps I suggest a panel puller/plastic wedge thing. For the Grilles you really do just have to pull them off with a good grip/jolt.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 01:27 PM   #993
bennywebb
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwat View Post
I did both the grilles and the mirror caps in gloss black, it was challenging to say the least...

For the mirror caps I suggest a panel puller/plastic wedge thing. For the Grilles you really do just have to pull them off with a good grip/jolt.
Yeah, I already had a trim removal set with a wide puller so the mirror caps only took a few minutes each. It's very nerve wracking though as you're trying to pop the mirror off without cracking it. Those things aren't cheap.

Thanks for the tip on the grill, I'll be changing that over tomorrow. Sounds like I'm not to be shy with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 02:05 PM   #994
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

Did a suspension refresh:

FRONTS = thrust arms, wish bone, ball joints
REARS = wish bone, toe arm, guide rod

Car handles like brand new. So much more planted / firm / steady now. No more wandering and going over speed bumps and pot holes is no longer a butt clenching endeavor.

For those of you who want a kit:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...31106787673kt1

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-33306786991kt

(I pieced together my own kit. I simply used FCP's kit for inspiration)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 02:09 PM   #995
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OH, also lowered the car / installed coilovers

Appreciate 3
      08-07-2023, 07:02 PM   #996
Sprusht
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
Installed some spacers. Went with 25mm in the rears, 20mm in the fronts

From left to right:
Anti Seize, Extended Lug Bolts, Spacers, Wheel Hanger Thingee, Breaker Bar/Socket, Torque Wrench, Flash Light

5x120 / 25mm (rears) / 72.56mm hub

Some Before & Afters:

Did fitting 20mm front and 25mm rear spacers effect the handling in anyway? I have the same wheels and am on the fence about spacing due to bump steer on the front and the effect on damping all around due to extra leverage. Also the rear wheel won't follow the same line of motion with the multi link setup and spacers fitted.

Does this effect daily/fast road driving? Any tramlining on the highway? Anything different at all other than the obvious better looks?

BTW I created an account just to ask this as I haven't seen another 622m wheel setup spaced like yours...
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2023, 02:43 PM   #997
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprusht View Post
Did fitting 20mm front and 25mm rear spacers effect the handling in anyway? I have the same wheels and am on the fence about spacing due to bump steer on the front and the effect on damping all around due to extra leverage. Also the rear wheel won't follow the same line of motion with the multi link setup and spacers fitted.

Does this effect daily/fast road driving? Any tramlining on the highway? Anything different at all other than the obvious better looks?
It did make driving in a straight line feel more steady, with the wider stance

However, it did not improve handling for those who like to drive fast with spirited turning involved. For me a non issue, as its mostly a simple dd with no race track visits

I did not notice any neg effects on tram lining

If anything you can try 20mm fronts and 20mm rear and see how you like it. Spacers can easily be returned on amazon if it is not to your liking

Quote:
BTW I created an account just to ask this as I haven't seen another 622m wheel setup spaced like yours...
I'm flattered!

stick around, this place isnt so bad =)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 06:07 PM   #998
Fonnyp
Registered
Rep

Installed replacement plastic on the rear wiper arm. No idea how it came off.🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 06:56 AM   #999
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Was getting CEL quite frequently with error code 104301 - absolute pressure sensor coupled with occasional start up stall (more prevalent in the winter)

I pulled out the MAP sensor and used cleaner spray, also sprayed CRC GDI IVD - Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner into the MAP sensor hole while wife was holding the revs. Error hasn’t come back yet. Could be placebo effect but car seems to run smoother as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 10:40 PM   #1000
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
I deliberately stood outside in the crisp near-autumn air to bask to the tune of that sweet N55 M sport exhaust when the flap opens as my wife drove off.

I bought her a cooler car than me.

Added a visual for….well, visual. Feast ya eyes.

I’m convinced the xDrive35i is the precursor X3M.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 12:17 PM   #1001
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

2015 x3 28i, xdrive… Preventive Maint…decided to do the Timing Chain overhaul…

Guides intact… chain noticeably stretched…

Vehicle has 145,000 babied km…oil changes every 10,000km.

Initial thoughts, flimsy chain, found in many BMWs and just not robust enough.

I think its the chain skip and immediate aftermath, destroying the guides… not the other way around in the first instance…

Just a thought…but definitely the source of increased rattle:
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      10-12-2023, 09:32 AM   #1002
Sprusht
Registered
Rep

Quote:
It did make driving in a straight line feel more steady, with the wider stance

However, it did not improve handling for those who like to drive fast with spirited turning involved. For me a non issue, as its mostly a simple dd with no race track visits

I did not notice any neg effects on tram lining

If anything you can try 20mm fronts and 20mm rear and see how you like it. Spacers can easily be returned on amazon if it is not to your liking

I'm flattered!

stick around, this place isnt so bad =)

Thanks for replying, when you say it did not improve handling in corners do you mean it made it worse or no difference? Did it have more body roll? Did the steering become heavier? Any change in tyre wear rate and pattern?

I'm on the standard msport suspension and am waiting for a set of 4 15mm spacers to come through the post. Will put pictures up once its all installed but probably won't be for a while yet.

I have the notorious steering rack knock that needs fixing first with the new thrust piece from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 09:20 PM   #1003
RL325xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 e91

Quote:
OH, also lowered the car / installed coilovers

Perfect ride height !!.
What kind of suspension is that?
I have an exact same car like yours. 12' 35i Msport. Stock 19"
mine is just sit too high.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 08:45 AM   #1004
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for replying, when you say it did not improve handling in corners do you mean it made it worse or no difference? Did it have more body roll? Did the steering become heavier? Any change in tyre wear rate and pattern?
no difference

(I do not drive it hard enough / do not push it)

Body roll is reduced

Steering is not any heavier, nothing I can tell anyway

Tire wear is yet to be determined ..... but I dont think it will be anything negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL325xi View Post
Perfect ride height !!.
What kind of suspension is that?
I have an exact same car like yours. 12' 35i Msport. Stock 19"
mine is just sit too high.
Thank you! I am on coilovers
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 10:48 AM   #1005
harrydunn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X3 35i M Sport

Valve cover gasket replacement. Not a terrible job. I could knock a couple of hours off if I had to do it again. Did the plugs since I was in that deep and of course cracked the accordian PCV hose. Duct tape works fine until the new hose arrives Wednesday.
Attached Images

‘72 GMC 2500
‘05 Toyota Land Cruiser
Appreciate 2
Wgosma827.50
      11-20-2023, 01:13 PM   #1006
TEF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Learned by doing that a low tire pressure warning notice (in this case underinflated right rear tire) prevents one for selecting transmission to Sport or Ecomode. Will run only in comfort mode. After adding air and driving a few miles, warning notice vanished and transmission returned to normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 08:08 AM   #1007
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydunn View Post
Valve cover gasket replacement. Not a terrible job. I could knock a couple of hours off if I had to do it again. Did the plugs since I was in that deep and of course cracked the accordian PCV hose. Duct tape works fine until the new hose arrives Wednesday.
I hate that damn PCV pipe. I ended up replacing it with 3/4” heater hose. Best thing I did. And much cheaper
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 10:34 AM   #1008
harrydunn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houranimd49 View Post
I hate that damn PCV pipe. I ended up replacing it with 3/4” heater hose. Best thing I did. And much cheaper
Good idea. You just left the electrical connector unhooked? Any lights?
‘72 GMC 2500
‘05 Toyota Land Cruiser
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 06:17 PM   #1009
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydunn View Post
Good idea. You just left the electrical connector unhooked? Any lights?
You can leave the connector on! Just cut off the accordion part on each connecting end and replace it with 3/4” heater hose. No hose clamps required because the fit is tight and it’s not seeing much pressure.

This is actually a great opportunity to run an oil catch can between there as well if you want to.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 07:06 PM   #1010
conky81
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25, Mini Cooper S R56

New F25 X3 Owner First Fixes

Just bought my F25 X3 a few weeks ago. 2011 xDrive35i M Sport.

Have had to fix a broken front spring. The pinch bolt was rusted. Thank the gods for heat and an impact gun going forward and reverse. Also, was such a pain to get the strut back in the knuckle. Had to remove the lower rear control arm to get the right rotation. New "self-taping" bolts up top to the strut mount didn't need to be changed, IMHO. The old ones bit right in.

The other major thing was that the front brake pads on the passenger side were toast. The pad material had broken off from the backing plate on both pads. Very strange. Wonder if that's from it sitting for several months, or overheating from a stuck caliper, or a manufacturing defect. Was both pads on the one side. I'll be keeping an eye on things.

Another strange thing was a seeming lack of diagrams that show the hose coming off the bottom of the expansion tank for a part number. What's the deal there? Previous owner didn't fix the leak, but I did. They were for sure putting concentrated green coolant in there to fill it up when the low coolant warning came up. I'll be doing a flush to blue soon.

I'll share some other cosmetic stuff when it's time to fix those. Now that the major stuff is done, what do you experienced F25 DIYers suggest for basic maintenance to get the X3 with 200,000kms back to solid foundations?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-25-2023, 07:12 AM   #1011
F10.ovo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 528i

Hey guys I need a little help here please, I own a 2013 bmw 528i with the n20 engine and my car has an oil leak from the oil filter and it leaks all over the right side of the bay and a couple of day ago the belt broke off and my dumb as girl friend decided to keep driving until the car shut off on her like a minute after the belt popped. Car will crank on then die 4 seconds later every time but tht was before we found out it was the belt so we towed it home.I replaced the belt and tried turning the car on and it cranks on and dies after 4 seconds of running. I also see tht I get codes 120408 and 130e20. I searched them up and those are do to timing chain functions, please tell me that I don’t have to replace them just yet I just need the car running I seen ppl driving with bad timing chains I just don’t know why the car cranks on then dies 4 seconds later.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 01:50 PM   #1012
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10.ovo View Post
Hey guys I need a little help here please, I own a 2013 bmw 528i with the n20 engine and my car has an oil leak from the oil filter and it leaks all over the right side of the bay and a couple of day ago the belt broke off and my dumb as girl friend decided to keep driving until the car shut off on her like a minute after the belt popped. Car will crank on then die 4 seconds later every time but tht was before we found out it was the belt so we towed it home.I replaced the belt and tried turning the car on and it cranks on and dies after 4 seconds of running. I also see tht I get codes 120408 and 130e20. I searched them up and those are do to timing chain functions, please tell me that I don’t have to replace them just yet I just need the car running I seen ppl driving with bad timing chains I just don’t know why the car cranks on then dies 4 seconds later.
Incorrect forum this is for X3. Anyway, N20 motor sometimes the acc. Belt breaks and gets sucked into the crank pulley and ends up trashing the timing chain. Very bad outcome needing new engine. Hopefully it has only messed up the timing and you can get the timing guides and chain replaced and calibrated.
Appreciate 0