BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2023, 03:50 AM   #1
brownejp
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 MSport Pro Carbon Black

Tyre wear

I am wondering what other peoples experiences are of the tyre wear on the iX3.
I have the 20s that came with the car. They are the Yokohamas. The car is 4 months old and has 6,600km on the clock.
Someone yesterday commented on the wear on the rear tyres and I was surprised as the car does not have that many kms on the clock. They are nowhere near needing to be replaced but the wear is quite noticeable especially on the outside.
I dont drive the car excessively hard, it does get the odd burst of acceleration and spirited drive but nothing crazy.
What are others experience on tyre wear on the iX3.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 05:07 AM   #2
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Mine have similar wear, there is a thread I posted a little while ago:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1932047

In a nutshell when I spoke with the dealer it seemed to be fairly common with the iX3 and IX. Interestingly since I've had the winters on, they have hardly worn at all (about 3k miles on them).

I had a puncture just prior to switching to the winters and had to order a new set of rears anyway. They were down to about 4.5mm after 10k miles.

Tyres when new - 8mm
After 4k miles - 5.5mm (2.5mm wear)
after 10k miles - 4.5mm (1mm wear)

One of things that I think contributes the most of all is using B mode a lot. The heavily engine/motor braking for the regen is quite hard on the tyres as well. I stopped using B mode as much (I was using it 90% of the time when I first had the car) and the tyre wear has significantly reduced.

That could be a complete red herring of course but it's certainly a contributing factor! I'm not particularly heavy footed in the car so I think it's a combination of regen, weight of the car, torque and soft compound on the Yoko's.

It will be interesting to see what other folks tyre wear is like, now that the cars will have a few miles on.
Appreciate 2
Esteves33.00
      02-13-2023, 05:23 AM   #3
brownejp
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 MSport Pro Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
Mine have similar wear, there is a thread I posted a little while ago:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1932047

In a nutshell when I spoke with the dealer it seemed to be fairly common with the iX3 and IX. Interestingly since I've had the winters on, they have hardly worn at all (about 3k miles on them).

I had a puncture just prior to switching to the winters and had to order a new set of rears anyway. They were down to about 4.5mm after 10k miles.

Tyres when new - 8mm
After 4k miles - 5.5mm (2.5mm wear)
after 10k miles - 4.5mm (1mm wear)

One of things that I think contributes the most of all is using B mode a lot. The heavily engine/motor braking for the regen is quite hard on the tyres as well. I stopped using B mode as much (I was using it 90% of the time when I first had the car) and the tyre wear has significantly reduced.

That could be a complete red herring of course but it's certainly a contributing factor! I'm particularly heavy footed in the car so I think it's a combination of regen, weight of the car, torque and soft compound on the Yoko's.

It will be interesting to see what other folks tyre wear is like, now that the cars will have a few miles on.
I dont use B mode at all just adaptive regen.
When you changed your rear tyres, did you go for the Yokos again or did you put something else on?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 05:43 AM   #4
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

so after 3,500 miles

Fronts 6.0mm
Rears 5.7mm

Lex will replace when they reach 2mm.

So slightly more wear on the rears, but to be expected with rear wheel drive care surely?
      02-13-2023, 03:43 PM   #5
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

I'm at 28k miles, last 4k miles on michelin winters so 24k on Yokohama's and measured when taken off car, front 5mm rear 4mm.
Outer edge wearing quicker on front axel is normal with bmw, had same outcome on x3 diesel
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 03:26 AM   #6
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownejp View Post
I dont use B mode at all just adaptive regen.
When you changed your rear tyres, did you go for the Yokos again or did you put something else on?
I went for the Yoko's again. I sourced them from Germany in the end as they were a fair bit cheaper than here in the UK, even with the import duty etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 03:57 PM   #7
Bert13
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Wear at 18k miles

Yokohama advan sport
18000 miles

Rears 3.2mm
Fronts 3.8-4mm, however more wear on outer edge to extent where the tread on the very outer edge is almost gone.

Also the outer groove on the Yokohama is narrower and shallower than the other 3 grooves (by about 1.5-2mm and does not have wear markers).

Most driving is on hilly narrow, potholed country roads.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #8
silent ninja
Private First Class
Rep

I've done 13k miles in 14 months and the tyres look relatively poor. The outer edges are bald. It's a lease car with tyres included so I'm going to get it checked into Kwik fit to see what they think.

This is shortest amount of time tyres have lasted. Is it the car or the Yokohama's? What tyres are best? I'm tempted to ask for Michelin All Seasons.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #9
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Hi,

I think it's the specific type of Yoko's that come with the car.

I had to replace both my rears due to a puncture in one of them. As per my earlier post they wore down very quickly! I replaced them with a slightly different version of Yokohama's which I sourced from Germany. They are Advan Sport V107 105Y (as opposed to 105W). They have hardly worn at all in about 8k miles, whereas the previous ones were half worn at that point.

My winters (Pirelli Sottozeros) have done two winters now and around 10k miles, and still have 6mm all round (8mm = when new).

So, from my experience it is the tyres not the car!

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #10
BMWBataviaan
Rep

I have Bridgestone Turanza, they came with the car (new).

I'm at 78.000 km in 15 months. Still enough tread, about 4 mm
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:10 AM   #11
silent ninja
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBataviaan View Post
I have Bridgestone Turanza, they came with the car (new).

I'm at 78.000 km in 15 months. Still enough tread, about 4 mm
78,000km in 15 months?! You're doing over 5000 Kms a month?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:43 PM   #12
BMWBataviaan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent ninja View Post
78,000km in 15 months?! You're doing over 5000 Kms a month?
Yes
Appreciate 0