BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
wings516
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35ix & Turbo M3

TPMS system able to be updated? Not showing pressure

I was one of the few unlucky people who received a TPMS system that does not show tire pressure or individual tire loss.

In other words, I either see if they are green or yellow. It does not single out one tire if it is low, but instead shows them all as low.

I called the dealer and they said that this is not something that can be retrofit to show this information. While I have coded my software to show PSI, it just shows blanks.

Has anyone had success upgrading their system or know if it can actually be done?

I'm also going to assume that this lack of functionality does not fall under any sort of warranty.

Last edited by wings516; 01-25-2016 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
starmir
Rep
Drives: X5 3.0D, 116i, Z3 2.8

Hello,
I believe there are actually two systems used on BMWs, so depending on which one you have (and on a 2011 model it is likely the first) you can't actually have an exact pressure reading.
1. A tyre monitoring system that uses sensors to detect the rotation of the tyre and judges on tyre pressure loss compaired to the original base read (when you set the system) My 2011 X3 has this
2. A tyre pressure read system that uses 4 sensors inside the tyres that connect via RFI to sensors in the car, sending the exact tyre pressure and temperature. My newer BMW 2014 model has this.

You should be able to see from the tyre valve if they are slightly fatter tubes, that shows you have sensors. If it's just a normal valve, likely you have the older system.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
in order to see values, you have to drive for a bit...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
wings516
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
in order to see values, you have to drive for a bit...
Longer than 6 months?

I should also note that I coded for the values to be seen. It was not there originally.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

wings516, sorry you don`t have a TPMS - you have a tire pressure indicating system i.e. a system measuring your independent wheel rotation speeds through ABS sensors and checking if one of them are rotating faster= likely a tire with low pressure.

You don`t have the inboard receiver for signals from tires - so nogo

There are aftermarket kits with wheel sensors and electronic box with pressure readouts.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
wings516, sorry you don`t have a TPMS - you have a tire pressure indicating system i.e. a system measuring your independent wheel rotation speeds through ABS sensors and checking if one of them are rotating faster= likely a tire with low pressure.

You don`t have the inboard receiver for signals from tires - so nogo

There are aftermarket kits with wheel sensors and electronic box with pressure readouts.
This is incorrect, all F25s sold in the US have tire pressure monitoring with sensors inside the wheels. You can be certain of this because the vehicle has metal valve stems. Also, from his screen shot it shows TPM. If he had the older wheel speed dependent system it would say FTM, or flat tire monitor. As for why it is not showing the pressures, I do not have an answer for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
wings516
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
This is incorrect, all F25s sold in the US have tire pressure monitoring with sensors inside the wheels. You can be certain of this because the vehicle has metal valve stems. Also, from his screen shot it shows TPM. If he had the older wheel speed dependent system it would say FTM, or flat tire monitor. As for why it is not showing the pressures, I do not have an answer for that.
This is what I came to suspect. The dealership wouldn't tell me anything other than retrofitting isn't possible... I don't know why I would need to retrofit to get better functionality but ok.... The only other thing I have read is that there is a "control module" that handles the readouts and this is what is generally handling the signal from the TPMS, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Have u done reset while you are driving..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
This is incorrect, all F25s sold in the US have tire pressure monitoring with sensors inside the wheels.

That's what I thought.

Quote:
You can be certain of this because the vehicle has metal valve stems.
No, mine is a UK car, it has metal valve stems but mine works on rotational differences rather than valves.

Quote:
Also, from his screen shot it shows TPM. If he had the older wheel speed dependent system it would say FTM, or flat tire monitor. As for why it is not showing the pressures, I do not have an answer for that.

He has that as he code it, it is reading blank because he doesn't have the valves etc. fitted.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
wings516
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
Have u done reset while you are driving..
You can't reset while you are driving. I have reset it while I am stopped, and then started driving. I have also reset and let the car sit until it said active. I have also reset it and turned the car off. I have also reset it and reset it again after it reset.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, from his screen shot it shows TPM. If he had the older wheel speed dependent system it would say FTM, or flat tire monitor. As for why it is not showing the pressures, I do not have an answer for that.

He has that as he code it, it is reading blank because he doesn't have the valves etc. fitted.
So is it simply the tpms or is it a deeper problem (control module)? I reached out to ECS tuning and they also pointed to the control module being the root and new tpms wont do anything for me, but this is unconfirmed.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #11
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i think its broken, my final conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #12
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

What are you lot going on about?! haha

It obviously has the not pressure system fitted.

Just put your vin in here and list the build options, see if the car is fitted with the tyre monitor system...

http://www.bimmer.work
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Barbera335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
What are you lot going on about?! haha

It obviously has the not pressure system fitted.

Just put your vin in here and list the build options, see if the car is fitted with the tyre monitor system...

http://www.bimmer.work
As stated before, all US spec F25s have Tire Pressure Monitoring fitted as standard equipment. As the OP is in Ohio it is safe to assume he has TPMS fitted.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

But he says he had the system that didn't show pressure, which to me means he has the Euro type monitoring system.

You can't just code your car for stuff without having the right hardware fitted and expect it to work.

He needs to put the VIN in and list his spec. Until he has done that all we are doing is presuming, and they say 'Presumption is the mother of all fuck ups'.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #15
Barbera335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
But he says he had the system that didn't show pressure, which to me means he has the Euro type monitoring system.

You can't just code your car for stuff without having the right hardware fitted and expect it to work.

He needs to put the VIN in and list his spec. Until he has done that all we are doing is presuming, and they say 'Presumption is the mother of all fuck ups'.
Except he does have the TPMS hardware. The US government has mandated that all cars that are 2008 model year or newer must have TPMS. As the F25 was introduced in 2011 and the OP is in Ohio, a US state, common sense dictates his car has TPMS. As to why it will not display pressure I don't know. Remember, all of these US spec cars left the factory coded to only show color coded tires and not the pressures even though they do have TPMS. OP may have activated the wrong pressure display code when he coded the vehicle as he has an early version of TPMS
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #16
wings516
Private
Rep

Here is the VIN decoder results. To further specify, even if one tire is low, they all show yellow. Everything I have read in BMW material states that the system should in the minimum, function to show one tire being low in the event of a flat, etc. This is not the case for me as I have tested it (they all just show yellow).

I used the latest cheat sheet for coding.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...MXo/edit#gid=0

Last edited by wings516; 01-26-2016 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #17
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Have you had the car from new?

Same tyres? A tyre shop hasn't swapped them out and removed the wireless pressure valves at some point?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #18
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Except he does have the TPMS hardware. The US government has mandated that all cars that are 2008 model year or newer must have TPMS. As the F25 was introduced in 2011 and the OP is in Ohio, a US state, common sense dictates his car has TPMS. As to why it will not display pressure I don't know. Remember, all of these US spec cars left the factory coded to only show color coded tires and not the pressures even though they do have TPMS. OP may have activated the wrong pressure display code when he coded the vehicle as he has an early version of TPMS
I get that, I just wondered if for some reason it got the Flat Tire Monitor rather than the Tyre Pressure Monitor fitted by mistake on build, as it sounds like that from his description of how it operates?

But has there been more cases where US cars have not given the pressure readings on the idrive?
From reading his op again it sounds like this is a known issue on some cars?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #19
NOITALL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

When coded, cars that do not have TPMS show the screen in a slightly different fashion. My car has FTM (Canadian car), and I coded it to show temperature and pressure to see what was going to happen.
Turns out it doesn't show the dashes "--" before temperature and pressure indicators. I coded it out because it was "dumb" for me to retain those (looked like something was defective).

Sorry I can't help fix the reason why you don't see values, but it certainly resolves the "TPMS/FTM" discussion. Your car is not FTM.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #20
wings516
Private
Rep

Quote:
Have you had the car from new?

Same tyres? A tyre shop hasn't swapped them out and removed the wireless pressure valves at some point?
I picked the car up CPO with only 30k miles on it. Original tires and I am getting ready to replace them now which had me digging into the TPMS options. So I can't say 100% if they are original but the tires are the factory spec and they show the wear of tires of this mileage.

Discount Tire offered to sell me new TPMS monitors and if the pressures don't show up they will refund me. I'm not sure if I am taking advantage with the knowledge I have now but I am damn near tempted to see if it does fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #21
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

If there isn't a functioning TPMS monitor in each wheel then you will see a TPMS error message.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #22
Barbera335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
If there isn't a functioning TPMS monitor in each wheel then you will see a TPMS error message.
+1
Appreciate 0