BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Cigarette lighter socket- blown fuse

04-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Cropwell
Private

Drives: X3 30d

Cigarette lighter socket- blown fuse

Not sure if this a common problem but the cigarette lighter socket stopped working a couple of weeks ago- just as I wanted to plug in the Garmin sat nav!
I took it back to the dealer and they told me that it was due to a blown fuse.
They sorted it out under the warranty. When I spoke to one of the mechanics(sorry 'Technicians' in BMW speak) he told me that it was probably due to using non OEM leads in the socket- although I have only ever used Garmin and Blackberry OEM leads.
As a precaution I asked to see where the fuse was located(it is in the glove box, there is also a fuse box in the boot). The fuse layout diagram is strangely located in the fuse box in the boot. I was also shown that the diagram for the glove box fuses, it is shown upside down so the piece of paper has to be inverted !!
There are no spare fuses in either fuse box- now heading off to dealer to buy a spare.
Yes there is a separate socket in the boot(and this works off a separate circuit-I checked) but the satnav leads do not stretch that far.
Has anybody else had similar problems with the fuse blowing ?
Cropwell is offline   United Kingdom
      04-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
plymjack
First Lieutenant

Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D SE Auto

Never had a problem I use samsung leads with a non-oem connector and also run a fridge off the one in the boot, maybe you were just unlucky.

BMW X3 (F25) xDrive20d SE . . Alpine White. . Oyster Leather . . 8 Speed Servotronic. .RFTs. . High Beam Assist. . Electric Seats . . DAB Radio. .USB/Bluetooth
plymjack is offline   United Kingdom
      04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
fjrmann
Private

Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

i picked up a used 2011 in March, the front acc. port fuse was blown also. it was replaced under warranty.. the tech listed the problm as "excessive current caused fuse failure"....duh!
      05-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
drunkntigr
Enlisted Member

Drives: bmw x3 m-sport 2011 carbon bla

Um yeah it seems to be a major broken though. We had the front cigarette lighter fuse blow on us, the one just below the cup holders. However ours happened when some keys dropped inside the cigarette lighter and saw some sparks. After that nothing worked.

Dealer fixed it, said it was probably from us using an iphone charger they saw in the middle compartment. HOWEVER, they said it like as if they told a lot of people already, so a common problem. They said to use the acc charger in the middle arm rest.