BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Halogen Replacement

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
doc.crawford
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: '12 X3 2.0D
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Halogen Replacement

Hi all,

awaiting the arrival of my X3, but have been doing a lot of reading on what kind of bulbs i want to change my originals with. I couldn't justify the high price tag for the xenon's in Australia, so went with the halogens.

I have only found a little info on people saying PIAA replacements would be the way to go. Could someone give me a little more information?

Looks like I need hi and low beam and what PIAA lights do I need to get? On the PIAA US site it says the H7, but this is for a 04-11 X3, I assume this would be the same for a 2012? Would you replace the fog lights as well? I can't seem to find a dealer of these lights around Australia, so should I order them from the UK/US? Thanks in advance for the help.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
nyalpine90
Major General
nyalpine90's Avatar
Colombia
96
Rep
9,107
Posts

 
Drives: '15 X3 28i carbon black
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: L.I. & Bklyn

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2012 X3  [3.83]
Send a message via MSN to nyalpine90
2011 x3 is same as 2012

make sure the wattage of bulb is same as oem, higher wattage can damage the housing (heat)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
mooney058
Private
2
Rep
86
Posts

 
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.crawford View Post
Hi all,

awaiting the arrival of my X3, but have been doing a lot of reading on what kind of bulbs i want to change my originals with. I couldn't justify the high price tag for the xenon's in Australia, so went with the halogens.

I have only found a little info on people saying PIAA replacements would be the way to go. Could someone give me a little more information?

Looks like I need hi and low beam and what PIAA lights do I need to get? On the PIAA US site it says the H7, but this is for a 04-11 X3, I assume this would be the same for a 2012? Would you replace the fog lights as well? I can't seem to find a dealer of these lights around Australia, so should I order them from the UK/US? Thanks in advance for the help.
Osram 'nightbreaker' or philipps x-trme vision - used both on my ex E-60 with halogen headlamps - both offer noticable improvements. Available here with free shiping (www.powerbulbs.co.uk)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
no golf clubs
Private First Class
4
Rep
144
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.0d SE Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
Osram 'nightbreaker' or philipps x-trme vision - used both on my ex E-60 with halogen headlamps - both offer noticable improvements. Available here with free shiping (www.powerbulbs.co.uk)
^^^ no f25 on there, or is the first and second generation x3 the same for light fitments?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
mooney058
Private
2
Rep
86
Posts

 
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no golf clubs View Post
^^^ no f25 on there, or is the first and second generation x3 the same for light fitments?
w w w.rtfm.com it should all be there.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
106
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 X3 2.8  [0.00]
2003 BMW F650GS  [0.00]
2008 Volvo C70 'vert  [0.00]
1999 BMW R1100RS  [0.00]
1993 BMW K75S  [0.00]
At least on my BMW motorcycles, I've seen no advantage of PIAAs over other Philips or Sylvania except they tended to burn out ( vibration?) faster
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
doc.crawford
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: '12 X3 2.0D
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
Osram 'nightbreaker' or philipps x-trme vision - used both on my ex E-60 with halogen headlamps - both offer noticable improvements. Available here with free shiping (www.powerbulbs.co.uk)

Thanks for that Info. I have found the lamps on there available in AUS. Any other suggestions from people? what about the fog lights, would people replace those for looks or not bother?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
doc.crawford
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: '12 X3 2.0D
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Anyone else have any input on replacement bulbs?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
troggy1969
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
247
Posts

 
Drives: X3 3.0D SE Bluewater
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Omagh uk

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I've got some nightbreakers ready to fit but haven't got round to it. Previously I had some 100w bulbs on a earlier car and I melted the wires so I would stay away from them.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
halogen, lights, piaa, replacement

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST