BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » F25 Winter Tire

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #67
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60orBust View Post
So would a 255/55/18 on 8.5" rims in a square set up be too big?
don't know about a physical interference issue with that size, but the speedometer will be thrown off... the bigger wheel diameter means the wheel will turn slower and the speedometer will therefore read lower than you are actually travelling.

Although the effect will be minimal here, the larger overall tire diameter will negatively effect your braking and accerlation compared to the normal tire size.
epiphone3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #68
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no golf clubs View Post
Yeah that's what I thought. Thanks for confirming.

Guess ill be spending on some rubber soon.

What do we reckon to these?

[url]http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/toyo-snowprox-s953-225-60-r18-100-h[url]
Those appear to be completely the wrong size. For an 18 inch wheel, the OE size is as I noted in my previous post. I would stick with that size of tire.
epiphone3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #69
E92LNGCGY
Major
 
Drives: F82/F25
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
What size tires did you put on your X3? Based on what I have been able to find Michelin does make the Xice 3 in the correct size for the X3.
I actually went with a narrower tire (225/50/18) they recommend the 235's.
E92LNGCGY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #70
E92LNGCGY
Major
 
Drives: F82/F25
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Those appear to be completely the wrong size. For an 18 inch wheel, the OE size is as I noted in my previous post. I would stick with that size of tire.
A little off topic but when is your X3 coming? I assume you already got winters?
E92LNGCGY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #71
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
A little off topic but when is your X3 coming? I assume you already got winters?
It should have arrived in town yesterday so I hope I'm driving it next week. I did order my winters and they arrive likely early next week also.
epiphone3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #72
E92LNGCGY
Major
 
Drives: F82/F25
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
It should have arrived in town yesterday so I hope I'm driving it next week. I did order my winters and they arrive likely early next week also.
Awesome. Post some pictures when you get it. How much did you pay for your winter tire package? What kind of tire? If you don't mind me asking. I want to see how Tire rack's pricing stack up against others.
E92LNGCGY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #73
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Awesome. Post some pictures when you get it. How much did you pay for your winter tire package? What kind of tire? If you don't mind me asking. I want to see how Tire rack's pricing stack up against others.
I will throw up some pics for sure...

Winter Package was from **********s (thanks, Jurrian!). Got the Sportline forged CSL replica wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 Run Flat tires (wanted to get Pirelli Winter Sottozero RFT because they cost less but they were back ordered and still are).

Paid about $2.5K + shipping for the set which is pretty good for forged wheels with RFT tires, I think. Could have gotton a set cheaper via Tirerack but I wasn't fond of any of the styles that were within my budget and I feel like **********s got me a better looking and better quality wheel than Tirerack was able to deliver within my budget.
epiphone3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #74
E92LNGCGY
Major
 
Drives: F82/F25
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
I will throw up some pics for sure...

Winter Package was from **********s (thanks, Jurrian!). Got the Sportline forged CSL replica wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 Run Flat tires (wanted to get Pirelli Winter Sottozero RFT because they cost less but they were back ordered and still are).

Paid about $2.5K + shipping for the set which is pretty good for forged wheels with RFT tires, I think. Could have gotton a set cheaper via Tirerack but I wasn't fond of any of the styles that were within my budget and I feel like **********s got me a better looking and better quality wheel than Tirerack was able to deliver within my budget.
That's a good price for forged wheels. Next time when we go for a photo shoot you should come with us.
E92LNGCGY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #75
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
That's a good price for forged wheels. Next time when we go for a photo shoot you should come with us.
I may just do that... you'll have to let me know when that is!
epiphone3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #76
mcorliss
Private
 
Drives: 2011 X3 M-Sport (Loaded)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLVX View Post
I'm considering keeping my 19" M-Sport wheels for the winter. Has anyone done this and how did it go? How was the winter where you live?
I live in MA, and put 19 inch Blizzaks on and my X3m was incredible during a VT blizzard drive during a ski trip. Was passing Semis in the unplowed fast lane during near white out conditions at Midnight, at nearly full highway speeds.
mcorliss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #77
BMWLVX
Private
 
Drives: X3 2.0d
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
I live in MA, and put 19 inch Blizzaks on and my X3m was incredible during a VT blizzard drive during a ski trip. Was passing Semis in the unplowed fast lane during near white out conditions at Midnight, at nearly full highway speeds.
I know you want to convey how stable the setup was, but that just sounds like pure irresponsible and reckless driving.
__________________
So, question about my wife's X3
BMWLVX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #78
Rodion
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: X3 (F25)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Latest Auto, Motor und Sport (German) magazine included tyre test for winter tyres suitable for mild central European winters.

Not a surprise which one is on the top


Rodion is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #79
mooney058
Private
 
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
Latest Auto, Motor und Sport (German) magazine included tyre test for winter tyres suitable for mild central European winters.

Not a surprise which one is on the top


can you scan the two pages separetly - the AMS is not available in where I live, but this test is quite interesting
mooney058 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #80
Rodion
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: X3 (F25)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
can you scan the two pages separetly - the AMS is not available in where I live, but this test is quite interesting
It was a photo (taken with Nokia phone), and I don't have the magazine anymore.

I can try to upload the original sized photo to somewhere, maybe it is more readible that way.
Rodion is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #81
rmeir
Private First Class
 
Drives: x3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: chicago il

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

maybe paraphrase the rankings if nokians are rated good that is bs, i had nokians on a pickup and they sucked in winter
rmeir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #82
mooney058
Private
 
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeir View Post
maybe paraphrase the rankings if nokians are rated good that is bs, i had nokians on a pickup and they sucked in winter
was it winter or summer nokians? the only issue is the tyre size - the one that won (WR D3) the above test is only available up to 17 inches. WR A3 is I would be looking at. the WR A3 actually looks a lot like Pirelii Sottozero
mooney058 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #83
Rodion
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: X3 (F25)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
can you scan the two pages separetly - the AMS is not available in where I live, but this test is quite interesting
The full image is now available in here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bwr...FlOVWd3RkdlNG8

I notice that Google also reduces the size, but maybe downloading the file will get you full resolution and readable text?
Rodion is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #84
mooney058
Private
 
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
The full image is now available in here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bwr...FlOVWd3RkdlNG8

I notice that Google also reduces the size, but maybe downloading the file will get you full resolution and readable text?
It worked, saved on my desktop and could make it bigger and readable now. Cheers.
mooney058 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #85
noka
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

If I decide to get separate Winter wheels and tires, I'm considering the BMW accessory set for $699 US (x4):

BMW Single Cold Weather Tire and Rim
Style 307
Part No. 36112208371
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3282

The Pirelli W210 Sottozero S2 has pretty good survey stats (all light or dark green, no yellow or red).
Does anyone have this set for Winter and, if so, any comments?
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired: '09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, '01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i,... '86 4000 CS Quattro... too many to list.
noka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #86
lbjgh
Major
 
lbjgh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North of Toronto

Posts: 1,449
iTrader: (0)

I've got em. Great for wet/slick surfaces but I wasn't too impressed with 'em in the snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
If I decide to get separate Winter wheels and tires, I'm considering the BMW accessory set for $699 US (x4):

BMW Single Cold Weather Tire and Rim
Style 307
Part No. 36112208371
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3282

The Pirelli W210 Sottozero S2 has pretty good survey stats (all light or dark green, no yellow or red).
Does anyone have this set for Winter and, if so, any comments?
__________________
2013, AW, xDrive35i, M Sport Package, Technology Package, Dynamic Comfort Package, Premium Package, 3M Clear Bra, Euro foglight switch, a few coded fixes
lbjgh is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #87
DonC
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: near Seattle

Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)

I have them also and they are great for wet - don't know about snow yet...
__________________
2013 X3 3.5i AW,Msprt,rear fogs,PS,CP, Tech, etc...
Other cars
2005 S2000
2007 TL-S
DonC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #88
noka
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post
I have them also and they are great for wet - don't know about snow yet...
Just curious, if you're willing to share: Did you purchase from BMWUSA for $699 each? I assume you have the 19" 369M wheels for other seasons?
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired: '09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, '01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i,... '86 4000 CS Quattro... too many to list.
noka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST