BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » 13' X3 "Driving Experience Control + ECO PRO"

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
deham
New Member
 
Drives: na
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

13' X3 "Driving Experience Control + ECO PRO"

We know X3 will get "Driving Experience Control + ECO PRO" as standard across 28i and 35i. But I saw some places call it "Driving Experience Control" some call ""Dynamic Driving Control". Is it same DDC on 12' model in Dynamic Driving package?
deham is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
lbjgh
Major
 
lbjgh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North of Toronto

Posts: 1,452
iTrader: (0)

Hey deham, nice to see you created an account here.

You saw my response on the other forum so I'll let the other xbimmers members chime in.

LBJGH
lbjgh is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
deham
New Member
 
Drives: na
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

LBJGH, you missed this question. Would you mind explain what's the difference between them?
deham is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
lbjgh
Major
 
lbjgh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North of Toronto

Posts: 1,452
iTrader: (0)

OK, I'll take a stab.

Quote:
Driving Experience Control including ECO PRO Mode as standard.

Moreover, in future, all BMW X3 model variants will be equipped as standard with the Driving Experience Control feature. At the press of a button located on the center console next to the gearshift lever or gear selector lever respectively, the driver is able to vary the vehicle setting. There is a choice between the “COMFORT”, “SPORT” and “SPORT+” modes as well as the ECO PRO mode.

Driving Experience Control has an effect on the settings of the stability control function DSC, the characteristic maps of the accelerator pedal and Servotronic power steering and, depending on how the vehicle is equipped, also the gearshift characteristics of the automatic transmission and the control map of the Dynamic Damper Control system.
The Dynamic Dampers are included in the Dynamic Comfort Package (Canada) and the reference to the transmission is I believe the M-Sport Package with paddle shifters.

Dynamic this, dynamic that... hopefully a dynamic answer.
lbjgh is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
deham
New Member
 
Drives: na
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Thank you LBJGH!

Seems it's same as Dynamic Driving Control function in Dynamic Comfort Package if I understand you correctly. I like it and I think it's good to add it as standard feature as throttle/steering response is more "visible" to regular drivers than transmission/damper setting. Now you don't have to order a additional package ($1500 in Canada) and you can enjoy lots more for driving experience.

But the sad part is, you have to order Dynamic Comfort Package + M to get "Dynamic Everything" which is more $ than US customers paying.
deham is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
lbjgh
Major
 
lbjgh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North of Toronto

Posts: 1,452
iTrader: (0)

I donno how else to say this (and it was discussed a million times on this forum in the past) ... the only why you get dynamic dampers is by paying the $1500. It ain't included in the '13's as standard equipment.

You get the switch beside the shifter but it does nothing to the suspension without purchasing the dynamic dampers which are part of the dynamic comfort package.

... and yes we pay more than the US but less than most of the rest of the world... that said the US gets cheaper prices and more content, i.e. active headlights with bi-xenon and free power liftgate and the rest of the world get the brilliant BMW diesel powerplants.

And you are right that if you want variable dampers, transmission, steering, throttle, etc. ya need both the m-sport + dynamic comfort package
lbjgh is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
deham
New Member
 
Drives: na
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Agree, totally understand what you try to explain about dynamic damper.

I plan to order a X3 for my lady as her graduation gift. To her, throttle/steering response is more "visible" than variable transmission/damper. for 12', I have to pay $1500 for dynamic comfort package to get the that "switch" which controls throttle/steering response. I know I will also get variable damper but I know she wouldn't notice the difference when driving. Now for 13', likely the price increase will less than $1500 so I will pay less to get the "switch". Since Canada price hasn't release yet, so I just have my finger crossed, my thought is right.

I ride motorcycle in summer time so I understand how variable damper/transmission will effect the driving experience. But my point is, BMW is doing good job to introduce the "dynamic" to customers. To some regular drivers, now they pay less to taste BMW dynamic experience (of cause, not the full "dynamic everything").
deham is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
StrykerX3M
New Member
 
Drives: X3 M package
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I donno how else to say this (and it was discussed a million times on this forum in the past) ... the only why you get dynamic dampers is by paying the $1500. It ain't included in the '13's as standard equipment.

You get the switch beside the shifter but it does nothing to the suspension without purchasing the dynamic dampers which are part of the dynamic comfort package.

... and yes we pay more than the US but less than most of the rest of the world... that said the US gets cheaper prices and more content, i.e. active headlights with bi-xenon and free power liftgate and the rest of the world get the brilliant BMW diesel powerplants.

And you are right that if you want variable dampers, transmission, steering, throttle, etc. ya need both the m-sport + dynamic comfort package
by dynamic comfort package you mean Dynamic Handling Package?
StrykerX3M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
philtrick123
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: TBA
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maidenhead

Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

Question....

I have the Driving Experience Control on my 30d SE X3. When you change the settings it certainly changes the feel of the car. Thottle response and gear changes.

So if I select Sport mode on the Driving Experience Control :, is there any point selecting Sport mode (DS in the display) on the Gearstick i.e. knock it over to the left (for UK cars!). Does Sport Mode adjust everything?
philtrick123 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
 
JSTDR1V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

Posts: 2,329
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Question....

I have the Driving Experience Control on my 30d SE X3. When you change the settings it certainly changes the feel of the car. Thottle response and gear changes.

So if I select Sport mode on the Driving Experience Control :, is there any point selecting Sport mode (DS in the display) on the Gearstick i.e. knock it over to the left (for UK cars!). Does Sport Mode adjust everything?
Yes - if you select the gearstick to the left it should change the gear shifts, it pushes the RPMs up. FOr instance the best way I could describe it is that Sport button changes throttle response, gear shifter to the side changes the shifting points
JSTDR1V is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
JimmyTheHand
Private
 
Drives: X3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Yes - if you select the gearstick to the left it should change the gear shifts, it pushes the RPMs up. FOr instance the best way I could describe it is that Sport button changes throttle response, gear shifter to the side changes the shifting points
It feels to me that the "Sport button changes" also alters gear change points
JimmyTheHand is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
lbjgh
Major
 
lbjgh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North of Toronto

Posts: 1,452
iTrader: (0)

@ stryketX3M - BMW has different names for the same (or similar) packages so in Canada BMW calls it dynamic comfort and in the USA BMW calls it dynamic handling. I think in Europe it is referred to as dynamic damper control. It is BMW's way to confuse it's customers so that they can sell more packages.

@ philtrick123 - the best way I can describe it is as follows:

eco pro = lazy throttle response/ very quick up-shift
eco pro + DS = lazy throttle response/ shifts equal to normal (comfort) mode
normal (comfort) = normal throttle response/ normal up-shifts (varies on throttle application)
normal (comfort) + DS = normal throttle/ hold gears longer equal to sport mode
sport = crisp throttle response/ hold gears longer
sport + DS = crisp throttle response/ holds gears even longer - gear changes very crisp
__________________
2013, AW, xDrive35i, M Sport Package, Technology Package, Dynamic Comfort Package, Premium Package, 3M Clear Bra, Euro foglight switch, a few coded fixes
lbjgh is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
philtrick123
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: TBA
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maidenhead

Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
@
@ philtrick123 - the best way I can describe it is as follows:

eco pro = lazy throttle response/ very quick up-shift
eco pro + DS = lazy throttle response/ shifts equal to normal (comfort) mode
normal (comfort) = normal throttle response/ normal up-shifts (varies on throttle application)
normal (comfort) + DS = normal throttle/ hold gears longer equal to sport mode
sport = crisp throttle response/ hold gears longer
sport + DS = crisp throttle response/ holds gears even longer - gear changes very crisp
Interesting- I will attempt to test this, but its a bit difficult on the public highway. Other road users might get upset
philtrick123 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST