BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » iOS 6 working with SMS and e-mail :)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #45
scs-X3
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington

iTrader: (0)

Followed sfax's direction and it still was a no go, once I changed from banner to alert the unread email started showing up.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #46
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
JSTDR1V's Avatar
No_Country
37
Rep
2,377
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
works fine for me. Only new SMS
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #47
picho21
New Member
picho21's Avatar
Guatemala
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 30d, 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Guatemala

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
How do you connect two phones at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #48
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
MattUK's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
632
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I changed the setting, I don't get the envelope displayed when a message arrives, but if I go to view messages, they are there.. so part of it is working
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #49
sfax
Brigadier General
sfax's Avatar
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,853
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Some more observations on the flaky behaviour of email (SMS seems to always work):

Switching iDrive (ignition) off and back on again stops email working again (no icon, no emails listed under messages in BMW Office)

If you have iPhone notifications setup correctly, changing the Alert Style from Banners to Alerts or making any change to the Alert Style fixes the problem and you then see new emails as an envelope in iDrive and see new emails listed. You have to do this every time you get in the car as a workaround to the problem. Not sure whose fault it is but hopefully they'll fix it

When you first get in and switch on it takes about 1 minute to initialise before it can register new SMS or email. You see a "busy" icon when it's initialising
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #50
April1
Love All
April1's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
739
Posts

 
Drives: X3 28i 2011
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to April1
Some how my post got deleted, surprising. I tried to edit n iPhone iOS 6.

If I remember correctly I had observed the following:

1. Multiple email accounts can be setup on iPhone to work with iDrive
2. Mail accounts should be setup to have a notification, banner or alert
3. iPhone notification should be set to Alert
4. Bluetooth should be setup only after step 2 above with at least one email account. Otherwise if it was done earlier, delete the Bluetooth account and setup again with notification and pair with iDrive.
6. Mails that are received only after the Bluetooth connection is established are transmitted to iDrive.
7. Mails are displayed as SMS messages.
8. Struggling to delete text messages from iDrive , they get automatically deleted once car is switched off.
9. This system appears to be unreliable, it doesn't work all the time.
10. It seems iPhone can send max 10 unread mails to iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #51
Midwest X6
Captain
Midwest X6's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
875
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X3 28xi
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Great Midwest

iTrader: (4)

THanks for the re-cap!

I'll give it a shot again later in the week..Either way, seems like a fun to have vs truly a productivity enhancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
Some how my post got deleted, surprising. I tried to edit n iPhone iOS 6.

If I remember correctly I had observed the following:

1. Multiple email accounts can be setup on iPhone to work with iDrive
2. Mail accounts should be setup to have a notification, banner or alert
3. iPhone notification should be set to Alert
4. Bluetooth should be setup only after step 2 above with at least one email account. Otherwise if it was done earlier, delete the Bluetooth account and setup again with notification and pair with iDrive.
6. Mails that are received only after the Bluetooth connection is established are transmitted to iDrive.
7. Mails are displayed as SMS messages.
8. Struggling to delete text messages from iDrive , they get automatically deleted once car is switched off.
9. This system appears to be unreliable, it doesn't work all the time.
10. It seems iPhone can send max 10 unread mails to iDrive.
__________________
Current Ride: 2013\28xi\Deep Sea Blue\Oyster Nevada Leather\Fineline Sienna Trim\Sport Activity \Cold Weather\Premium\Comfort Access\Navigation\Panoramic Moon Roof\BMW Assist

Previous Rides: E92 M3, E70 X5 35d, E71 X6 50i, E71 X6 35i,E60 550i, E46 M3 Cabriolet, E39 540i, E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #52
sfax
Brigadier General
sfax's Avatar
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,853
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1
Some how my post got deleted, surprising. I tried to edit n iPhone iOS 6.

If I remember correctly I had observed the following:

1. Multiple email accounts can be setup on iPhone to work with iDrive
2. Mail accounts should be setup to have a notification, banner or alert
3. iPhone notification should be set to Alert
4. Bluetooth should be setup only after step 2 above with at least one email account. Otherwise if it was done earlier, delete the Bluetooth account and setup again with notification and pair with iDrive.
6. Mails that are received only after the Bluetooth connection is established are transmitted to iDrive.
7. Mails are displayed as SMS messages.
8. Struggling to delete text messages from iDrive , they get automatically deleted once car is switched off.
9. This system appears to be unreliable, it doesn't work all the time.
10. It seems iPhone can send max 10 unread mails to iDrive.
Re. unreliablity: does your email ever work first time you get in the car? I find SMS always does but email needs to be "reminded" to work by making a small adjustment to your iPhone notification settings. I'm using an iPhone 4
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #53
April1
Love All
April1's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
739
Posts

 
Drives: X3 28i 2011
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to April1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Re. unreliablity: does your email ever work first time you get in the car? I find SMS always does but email needs to be "reminded" to work by making a small adjustment to your iPhone notification settings. I'm using an iPhone 4
I'm also using iPhone 4 and never worked first time for emails. I also don't see the sender's email id as seen by you. I'm puzzled how mails notifications are related to Bluetooth notifications cause MAP protocol doesn't need any notifications. Are we missing something?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #54
sfax
Brigadier General
sfax's Avatar
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,853
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
I'm also using iPhone 4 and never worked first time for emails. I also don't see the sender's email id as seen by you. I'm puzzled how mails notifications are related to Bluetooth notifications cause MAP protocol doesn't need any notifications. Are we missing something?
Yes, it does seem odd. I've also noticed that my iDrive flickers a "busy" icon when I send an email to myself but it doesn't get processed by iDrive. After a change to the iPhone mail notifications settings, the next email works.

Maybe one of the first handshake messages should say "I'm going to send you email" and it doesn't until you fiddle with the iPhone settings so email messages are ignored up until this point.
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #55
Chalky White
Private First Class
6
Rep
131
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 e90, 325i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
No matter what I do, I cannot get SMS and emails to show up.

I've updated the car's bluetooth to the latest software. I'm running an iPhone 5. I have deleted and re-paired the phone. Changed to alerts from banners.

Any other tips I should try?
__________________
12/5/13 PCD Delivery of X3 3.5i, Alpine, Chestnut, Premium, Tech, Heated Seats, BMW Apps

2006 325i, Sparkling, Grey, Xenons, Premium, Heated, Comfort (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #56
sfax
Brigadier General
sfax's Avatar
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,853
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky White View Post
No matter what I do, I cannot get SMS and emails to show up.

I've updated the car's bluetooth to the latest software. I'm running an iPhone 5. I have deleted and re-paired the phone. Changed to alerts from banners.

Any other tips I should try?
Try switching off Office Bluetooth under options on iDrive (can't remember exact option name but it's near download whole email) and then switch it back on again.

Also, if you are testing by sending yourself an SMS, lock your phone immediately after sending because there is no notification if you stay on the messages screen on your iPhone.

Try to get SMS working first, then look at email
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #57
Chalky White
Private First Class
6
Rep
131
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 e90, 325i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Thanks Sfax. I can now get SMS on the iDrive, but still no emails...
__________________
12/5/13 PCD Delivery of X3 3.5i, Alpine, Chestnut, Premium, Tech, Heated Seats, BMW Apps

2006 325i, Sparkling, Grey, Xenons, Premium, Heated, Comfort (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #58
sfax
Brigadier General
sfax's Avatar
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,853
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky White View Post
Thanks Sfax. I can now get SMS on the iDrive, but still no emails...
For me at least, email stops working every time I switch off iDrive (and switch it back on obviously!). To tell iDrive to remember I want emails too, I have to make a small change (probably anything) in iPhone - Settings - Notifications - Messages - Alerts. As soon as I make this change, the next email comes through. Whether I would want to do this every time I get in the car is another matter.

For SMS, it's worth having a preset favourite button set to the message list and then you can quickly use this in combination with read aloud to hear new SMS. Not tried voice commands for this yet but would be good if you could just say "read new message" (you can say this, but something else will happen!)
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #59
02420X3
Captain
7
Rep
687
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

The voice command "Messages" will bring up the message screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #60
sfax
Brigadier General
sfax's Avatar
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,853
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
The voice command "Messages" will bring up the message screen.
Thanks. Can you then follow it up with something like "Playback"? I couldn't find a way to get them read out to me. Would be good if you could
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #61
car_fan
Captain
car_fan's Avatar
35
Rep
830
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F12 650cic / 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Thanks. Can you then follow it up with something like "Playback"? I couldn't find a way to get them read out to me. Would be good if you could

The Irony of all this is that I was under the impression the com systems in these cars where designed around apple products. I never had any issues with email/sms message display and/or readout and I am using a Blackberry 9900, before that a Blackberry Torch - never any problems with messages. Now if I could only get my plugin features to work right - but I digress
__________________
2012 650cic Space Gray/Vermillon Red/Blk.Top(retired)
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty/Continental Extreme DW
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF Mirror caps
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #62
April1
Love All
April1's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
739
Posts

 
Drives: X3 28i 2011
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to April1
Apple is known to implement every thing in its own way, hope they are not redefining MAP in their own way to make Blackberry follow them.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #63
sfax
Brigadier General
sfax's Avatar
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,853
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
The Irony of all this is that I was under the impression the com systems in these cars where designed around apple products. I never had any issues with email/sms message display and/or readout and I am using a Blackberry 9900, before that a Blackberry Torch - never any problems with messages. Now if I could only get my plugin features to work right - but I digress
Actually, I think BMW Office was designed in conjunction with RIM and Blackberrys were some of the few devices that supported it when it was first released in 2010
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #64
April1
Love All
April1's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
739
Posts

 
Drives: X3 28i 2011
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to April1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Actually, I think BMW Office was designed in conjunction with RIM and Blackberrys were some of the few devices that supported it when it was first released in 2010
You are right.

We should expect an SW update now from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #65
mikey_1686
New Member
England
0
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: Dec 2010 X3 (F25)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oxford

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
6NR is BMW Apps: iPhone plug-in, Twitter, Facebook, web radio

This is all part of BMW Office. You don't need 6NR for it
Does this mean I don't need 6NR to get facebook and web radio ?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #66
sfax
Brigadier General
sfax's Avatar
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,853
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
6NR is BMW Apps: iPhone plug-in, Twitter, Facebook, web radio

This is all part of BMW Office. You don't need 6NR for it
Does this mean I don't need 6NR to get facebook and web radio ?
No, "This" refers to SMS and email as per the thread title

You don't need 6NR for BMW Office
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST