BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » F25 Winter Tire

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
BMWX3MDD
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 X3 M
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
Thanks for that! This side of the pond they will probably be 40% more expensive, as is the cost of the car!
Ian
It is much pricer compare to 17" or 18", 19" (just tires) is about same price to get a set of 17" with some basic wheeles at tirerack...

also the cost to swap the tires on twice a year...
BMWX3MDD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
BMWX3MDD
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 X3 M
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

how about TPMS should I put that in, or just skip it for winter..?

Any suggestion or experience..!! thx
BMWX3MDD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
E92LNGCGY
Captain
 
Drives: E92/F25/F82 ordered
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 959
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3R9 View Post
how about TPMS should I put that in, or just skip it for winter..?

Any suggestion or experience..!! thx
Canadian models does not require TPMS. The sensor is built into the hub.
E92LNGCGY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #26
BMWX3MDD
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 X3 M
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Canadian models does not require TPMS. The sensor is built into the hub.
if I need to get a new set of 17" wheels with winter rubber on..?? Do I??
BMWX3MDD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #27
E92LNGCGY
Captain
 
Drives: E92/F25/F82 ordered
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 959
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3R9 View Post
if I need to get a new set of 17" wheels with winter rubber on..?? Do I??
Nope. It shouldn't matter.
E92LNGCGY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #28
Midwest X6
Captain
 
Midwest X6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X3 28xi
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Great Midwest

Posts: 794
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3R9 View Post
if I need to get a new set of 17" wheels with winter rubber on..?? Do I??
Wow - in US vehicles the TPMS is in the wheel and you'd need to ensure TPMS is on your alternate set of wheels too..
__________________
Current Ride: 2013\28xi\Deep Sea Blue\Oyster Nevada Leather\Fineline Sienna Trim\Sport Activity \Cold Weather\Premium\Comfort Access\Navigation\Panoramic Moon Roof\BMW Assist

Previous Rides: E92 M3, E70 X5 35d, E71 X6 50i, E71 X6 35i,E60 550i, E46 M3 Cabriolet, E39 540i, E36 328i
Midwest X6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #29
DonC
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: near Seattle

Posts: 349
iTrader: (0)

Adds $ to the winter set...
__________________
2013 X3 3.5i AW,Msprt,rear fogs,PS,CP, Tech, etc...
Other cars
2005 S2000
2007 TL-S
DonC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #30
turbotoy4me
First Lieutenant
 
turbotoy4me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CO

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I used my all season tires on the stock 19" M-Sport Wheels through one winter season here in the Colorado Rockies and they did a good job. If you are looking for a winter set up I would go with a 17" or 18" tire and wheel set up. Good luck!
turbotoy4me is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #31
Francolargo
New Member
 
Drives: X3 28i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnesota

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotoy4me View Post
I used my all season tires on the stock 19" M-Sport Wheels through one winter season here in the Colorado Rockies and they did a good job. If you are looking for a winter set up I would go with a 17" or 18" tire and wheel set up. Good luck!
Sounds good. I'll go the stock all-season route for '12-'13. Lets remember that winter conditions vary widely, and air/road temperature drastically affects the traction we get on snowy roads. Worst of all is snow in warm conditions, where specialized tires can truly shine. Moderate amounts of cold snow really isn't much trouble, but in deep snow the tire's outer diameter is as much an issue as its tread pattern. Since tire diameters are all the same, the snap-on snow "chains" look pretty interesting. Anybody tried them?

Frank
Francolargo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #32
Rodion
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: X3 (F25)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Posts: 294
iTrader: (0)

I have BMW "replica" wheels, 17" and Nokia Hakkapeliitta 7 as tyres.

This is how it looks: http://i42.tinypic.com/wk3bqg.jpg

And this is how it drives:



Extremly good traction on snow and ice, yet ok to drive on plain asphalt as well. Not too much noise.

AFAIK, you can get these even as size 20"



http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+7

Of course they have tyres without studs as well, e.g.


http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+R
Rodion is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #33
Midwest X6
Captain
 
Midwest X6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X3 28xi
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Great Midwest

Posts: 794
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
I have BMW "replica" wheels, 17" and Nokia Hakkapeliitta 7 as tyres.

This is how it looks: http://i42.tinypic.com/wk3bqg.jpg

And this is how it drives:



Extremly good traction on snow and ice, yet ok to drive on plain asphalt as well. Not too much noise.

AFAIK, you can get these even as size 20"


http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+7

Of course they have tyres without studs as well, e.g.


http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+R
Some of the best tires in the world imo ....But you pay a steep price for such wonderful rubber
__________________
Current Ride: 2013\28xi\Deep Sea Blue\Oyster Nevada Leather\Fineline Sienna Trim\Sport Activity \Cold Weather\Premium\Comfort Access\Navigation\Panoramic Moon Roof\BMW Assist

Previous Rides: E92 M3, E70 X5 35d, E71 X6 50i, E71 X6 35i,E60 550i, E46 M3 Cabriolet, E39 540i, E36 328i
Midwest X6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #34
Rodion
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: X3 (F25)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Posts: 294
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6 View Post
Some of the best tires in the world imo ....But you pay a steep price for such wonderful rubber
As they say: if you want good and cheap, you have to buy two (ie. the good and the cheap)
Rodion is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #35
BMWLVX
Private
 
Drives: X3 2.0d
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

I'm having a difficult time finding winter tyres that will fit on the staggered M-Sport 19" setup. I've tried on Pirelli, Goodyear, Michelin, Continental and Dunlop websites so far but none of them do a matching set of winter tyres for the staggered wheels. Any suggestions?
__________________
So, question about my wife's X3
BMWLVX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #36
Rodion
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: X3 (F25)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Posts: 294
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLVX View Post
I'm having a difficult time finding winter tyres that will fit on the staggered M-Sport 19" setup. I've tried on Pirelli, Goodyear, Michelin, Continental and Dunlop websites so far but none of them do a matching set of winter tyres for the staggered wheels. Any suggestions?
Check my links to Nokian tyres couple of posts above?
Rodion is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #37
mooney058
Private
 
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
Check my links to Nokian tyres couple of posts above?
or else, check what your dealer has in stock (or should have as winter sets will start arriving soon).
mooney058 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #38
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
 
Chris55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 206
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLVX View Post
I'm having a difficult time finding winter tyres that will fit on the staggered M-Sport 19" setup. I've tried on Pirelli, Goodyear, Michelin, Continental and Dunlop websites so far but none of them do a matching set of winter tyres for the staggered wheels. Any suggestions?
I'm sure Pirelli are the only manufacturer that make tyres for that wheel set-up (I've got the same wheels).

They are the:
Pirelli W240 Sottozero S2 RSC 245/45 R19 102 V XL and 275/40 R19 105 V XL.


Though I would not recommend staggered wheels for the winter as you will most likely have handling problems.

I was lucky and my dealer is GIVING me (not kidding) brand new 309s 19" (not staggered) with Dunlop tyres.

Again, I do not recommend staggered for the winter unless you never have snow or slush .
Chris55 is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #39
BMWLVX
Private
 
Drives: X3 2.0d
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Thanks Chris. I'm curious how I could get handling issues. Would you care to enlighten me please?
__________________
So, question about my wife's X3
BMWLVX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #40
mooney058
Private
 
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55 View Post
I'm sure Pirelli are the only manufacturer that make tyres for that wheel set-up (I've got the same wheels).

They are the:
Pirelli W240 Sottozero S2 RSC 245/45 R19 102 V XL and 275/40 R19 105 V XL.


Though I would not recommend staggered wheels for the winter as you will most likely have handling problems.

I was lucky and my dealer is GIVING me (not kidding) brand new 309s 19" (not staggered) with Dunlop tyres.

Again, I do not recommend staggered for the winter unless you never have snow or slush .
giving in a sence for 0 CHF? not bad, I am jealous, as mine said he could make max 15% from the list price (and nowadays list price for tires at least are well above actual market prices) ...
mooney058 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #41
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
 
Chris55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 206
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLVX View Post
Thanks Chris. I'm curious how I could get handling issues. Would you care to enlighten me please?
I guess you're pulling my leg... right? Well just imagine the front wheel making it's way through slush/snow, then the rear wheel which is larger making it's way through right after. In addition the rear wheel you're are speaking of (19" M sport) is actually too large to be safe in slushy conditions.

All this is my opinion but if you speak to the dealer or tire people you might hear the same thing. I just think that safety/handling is more important than looks.

Last edited by Chris55; 10-02-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Chris55 is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #42
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
 
Chris55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 206
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
giving in a sence for 0 CHF? not bad, I am jealous, as mine said he could make max 15% from the list price (and nowadays list price for tires at least are well above actual market prices) ...
I know i'm lucky . I was checking on winter options a few days before picking up the car and the dealer offered me 1st 18" but I really wanted 19", so I told him I'd be by that evening to see what he could offer me and at what cost.
That evening he told me that the wheels + tires would cost 4,300 CHF but as we got a car that was loaded (except for the sunroof) he spoke to the boss and was told to give them to us as a gift, for free!!! I can tell you that my wife and I were totally stunned.. but happy!
Chris55 is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #43
lbjgh
Major
 
lbjgh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North of Toronto

Posts: 1,429
iTrader: (0)

I've used Hakkapeliitta, Blizzaks and IceX tires on my cars and I think I'll go with Blizzaks for the X3 as I've found they provide the best grip IMO.
__________________
2013, AW, xDrive35i, M Sport Package, Technology Package, Dynamic Comfort Package, Premium Package, 3M Clear Bra, Euro foglight switch, a few coded fixes
lbjgh is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #44
BMWLVX
Private
 
Drives: X3 2.0d
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55 View Post
I guess you're pulling my leg... right? Well just imagine the front wheel making it's way through slush/snow, then the rear wheel which is larger making it's way through right after. In addition the rear wheel you're are speaking of (19" M sport) is actually too large to be safe in slushy conditions.

All this is my opinion but if you speak to the dealer or tire people you might hear the same thing. I just think that safety/handling is more important that looks.
Thanks. No I wasn't joking. The first time I've had a car with staggered setup so I didn't really think this would make a difference really. So I take it that you've already driven your staggered setup in snowy conditions? I'd be a bit disappointed if the X3 was throwing wobblies over a few cm of snow extra for the rear wheels.
__________________
So, question about my wife's X3
BMWLVX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST