BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Coding made Easy: A step by step procedure

Coding made easy: Step by step instructions for Fxx Series

Coding is for people who want to play with the settings of BMW car software to achieve something more desirable. Coding is not really a programming; it is another name for re-configuring the software of your car. There are limited risks of messing up with your car SW but if you are careful, follow step by step instructions and know and understand what you are doing, it may be OK to go ahead. Never try to guess and do it, be absolutely sure for your steps, clarify your doubts before you proceed. There are experts on the forum who are willing to help you, don't hesitate to ask even a silliest question. Never-the-less, if you want to try new unknown settings which others have not tried, believe me, you are playing with fire.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS VERY CAREFULLY.

What is needed for coding:
  1. ENET cable
  2. E-Sys software 3.26.1 with EST token and Pin
  3. psdzdata 54.2
  4. A dedicated laptop with Windows 7 with minimum 16 GB of free space
  5. Backup utility for CAF files (optional), file attached
  6. Useful Cheat Sheet for Fxx, file for F25 attached, others are available in different forums

Prepare your setup:

You can build your own cable or buy from a good source. Use shielded cables only. Cable should be reliable as interruption and electrical noise interference of any kind during coding could be very risky.

Delete unwanted SW and data from your laptop. It may be worthwhile to de-fragment your HD of laptop before installing the coding software as this software will occupy almost 12 GB to 44 GB of space on HD. Use the power adapter to keep batteries charged all the time as installation will take several minutes depending upon the performance of the laptop and data storage media.

Always try to clarify your doubts on forum as it also helps other readers, but you are welcome to contact me directly for any help if that boosts your confidence.

E-Sys Software installation:

Use the following procedure to install software on your laptop:
  1. Installation file for the E-Sys is an exe file whose name is like “E-Sys_Setup_3_24_3_RC_b38445.exe”
  2. Double click on this file and follow the instructions on the screen.
  3. Use default settings.
  4. Once the E-Sys is installed, it will create two folders on C: drive, namely Data and EC-Apps
  5. Copy your procured psdzdata folder and replace empty folder under “C:\Data\”
  6. It will create a desktop shortcut to start E-Sys

Setting up the EST token for E-Sys:
  1. Create a folder EST anywhere on C: drive. You can create under C:\Data and copy your token ( a *.est file)
  2. Launch E-Sys by double clicking its shortcut on desktop. It might take a minute to start, have patience.
  3. Select Options > Settings. Select EST tab.
  4. Click on the browse button with three dots ( … ) and navigate to EST folder C:\Data\EST
  5. Select file "******.est" and click OK to save the location and close the “Settings” window.

(If you have procured your token from an external source, follow additional supplied directions to complete token installation)

Preparation for coding:
  1. It's a good practice, though not a must, to shut off any wireless or Bluetooth service on the laptop. Let just laptop and car talk to each other with no external interference.
  2. As a precaution, disable any firewall on the laptop. I don't like even any anti-virus software as their behavior is not well known, and may interfere with the communication. It’s advisable to disable them.
  3. It is preferred to start with fully charged batteries of laptop and car as no interruption can be tolerated during transfer of data from laptop to Car. For long coding session, a car battery charger may be needed.
  4. Car audio and video drain off the battery fast, so better switch them off during coding.

Connect E-Sys to your Car:
  1. Connect ENET cable between car's OBD port and network port of laptop.
  2. Switch on the ignition of the car, don't start the engine.
  3. You will notice laptop tries to connect to the car. Wait a few minutes until the network icon on laptop shows a Connection with the yellow exclamation point over it. If you don’t see the network icon due to your laptop settings, wait for a minute.
  4. Start your E-Sys on your laptop.
  5. Press connect button on top row of E-Sys to connect car with the laptop.
  6. It opens up a dialog box.
  7. Select the correct TargetSelector for your model of the car, e.g. F025 and not F025_DIRECT for X3 model.
  8. Select "Connection via VIN" and press Connect.
  9. Wait for the Connection message. Click OK. If the connection was established successfully you see the selected target in the status bar at the bottom.

Full backup of Car's configuration files:

It's a good practice to take a full back up of Car's original settings before any changes are made to the car. These files could be used as reference in case it is desired to go back to original settings of any or all features.

Read and Save FA:
  1. Connect E-Sys to your car.
  2. Select "Expert Mode" on the left pane and click on "Coding" button therein. It will display 4 sections/Boxes on the right side.
  3. In Vehicle Order Box (upper left), click on "Read" button, it would display FA of your car under FA List.
  4. Select FA and click on “Save” button. Save as FA_original.
  5. Test button above will show the path of the saved FA file.

Read and Save SVT:
  1. Look at SVT Actual Box (right pane, midway down) and click on "Read SVT" button.
  2. SVT box on left will display SVT of different modules of your car.
  3. Click on the Save button on SVT Actual box and name the saved file as SVT_original.
  4. Text button above will display the path of the saved file.

Read and Save CAFD (ncd) files:
  1. Inside SVT box (left side), you see SVT, containing ECUs and each ECU contains files in expanded view.
  2. Notice that some of the CFD files will have green check marks. These green marked CAFD files are of our interest.
  3. Right click on first green marked CAFD and then press and hold control key on your laptop and click on all other similar marked CAFD files. This way all such CAFD files will be selected for further operation.
  4. Now move to right in “Coding” box and click on "Read Coding data". After codes are read, green icon will change into a folder icon and the files inside will contain the data read from your car.
  5. Check the folder "C:\Data\CAF”, this will contain all the read CAFD files.
  6. Copy and Save all the files in a safe place. These are your original CAFD files.
  7. Alternatively, you can use utility "Copy_CAF_v3.bat", copy it anywhere on your laptop and double click on it to automatically save the files under a Folder "C:\My_CAF_Files" with date and time stamp.

Reading current Integration Step (I-Step) of your car:

It’s good to know the current I-Step of your car as that decides the minimum version of psdzdata that can be used to code your car.
  1. Connect E-Sys to car following the steps given above.
  2. Select expert mode on the left pane and click on VCM button.
  3. On the right bottom box, select “Master” tab.
  4. In I-Steps box, click on “Read” button.
  5. Integration Steps boxes above will be populated with the data. Note down the I-Step (current).

Coding CAFD files:

CAFD files (ncd) contain the setting data/ parameters for each ECU. Modifying the values in these files change the behavior of ECUs.
  1. Connect E-Sys to car and follow the steps to read CAFD file/s to be coded. (You may take help of cheat files to decide which ECU you would like to code and which are the associated CAFD files).
  2. Expand the folder of the selected CAFD file. Right click on the CAFD file and click "Edit FDL". Enter the pin if asked.
  3. Open the module you wanted to edit under “Daten”, click on the Functionen folder, then open the ausgelessen folder of the selected function. It will show the current settings.
  4. Change them as per Cheat Sheet and Save.
  5. To be on the safer side, edit only one ECU at a time.
  6. After making all changes in the CAFD files of ECU as per the cheat sheet for that function, save and go back by pressing top extreme left green arrow "back" button.
  7. Now you can see FA again. Right click on it and "Activate FA". You will see a green active text next to FA. Also FP will open on the right side.
  8. Select the edited CAFD file on SVT box and Click on "Code FDL" in coding box on right.
  9. Coding process will start and should end with no errors.
  10. Take a backup of all the CAFD files again and save in a different folder. Best way is to use "Copy_CAF_v3.bat". Copy it anywhere on your laptop and just double click on it, all will be done for you and files will be saved under a new date time stamped folder.
  11. Great, you coded one module. Disconnect E-Sys by clicking on top Connect button which is showing a red x. You are done.
  12. Test the car for the changed feature. Some features require 15 -30 minutes to get activated where as some are instant and few need you to switch off the and lock the car and unlock and start.

Contact me in case you need any help.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Cheat Sheet-April1.pdf (42.2 KB, 27827 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Copy_CAF_v3.zip (725 Bytes, 11229 views)

Last edited by April1; 02-08-2015 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: New Version of psdzdata
      07-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Unbelievable work april1!

Thank you.

I might even give this a go now.
      07-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Unbelievable work april1!

Thank you.

I might even give this a go now.
Yesterday late night at 3 am finished writing and testing the installer and thought of sharing with all immediately.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Wait a sec. That's "made easy"? I'd like to see your steps for something made difficult.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Wait a sec. That's "made easy"? I'd like to see your steps for something made difficult.
More difficult steps:

1. Wash the car after coding so that your codes are clean too.
2. Better to take out all the 4 wheels before coding as you would be sure that car won't run away.
3. Don't load with more codes, mph will go down.

...more for your imaginations...
Appreciate 5
      07-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

So April1,

Would there be any issues using a netbook running win7 32bit to code my car?

thanks,
lbjgh
      07-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
So April1,

Would there be any issues using a netbook running win7 32bit to code my car?

thanks,
lbjgh
I don't anticipate any issue if you have enough free space.

Infact, Shawn, one of the pioneers in coding Fxx series, has hinted that probably we can further reduce space requirement by 15GB.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
BMWLVX
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d

After reading around on some of the coding forums the last few days, I can definitely say that this is one of the more concise step by step guides in one place. Thanks April1!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLVX View Post
After reading around on some of the coding forums the last few days, I can definitely say that this is one of the more concise step by step guides in one place. Thanks April1!
Thanks.

Please note Setup file has been modified to save space on HD and to reduce installation time. This is the most upto date instruction available on any forum now.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Thanks so much for posting this. This is very helpful and represents a lot of time on your part. We all appreciate it. And people thought the forum would decrease in quantity when Lotus7 left....HA!

That being said. I am glad you posted this, it is likely not for me, given the complexity.

Can this be done with a Mac. My guess is no, but I thought I would ask. I know I can run Windows on my Macbook, but i'd rather not.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
BMWLVX
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d

I installed esys successfully on a mac running Parallels with Windows 7 Ultimate.
      07-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Going to give this a go... anyone else in the SW UK want to team up on this then I am happy to work with another,

Looking to
1. make wipers auto on Default
2. Main beam auto on Default

Anyone have the cheats for theses to add to the cribb sheet?
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Going to give this a go... anyone else in the SW UK want to team up on this then I am happy to work with another,

Looking to
1. make wipers auto on Default
2. Main beam auto on Default

Anyone have the cheats for theses to add to the cribb sheet?
1. Haven't seen the option for this anywhere.

2. F10/F11 X FRM 3050 FLA_AUTO_AKTIV aktiv / Werte=01 nicht_aktiv / Werte=00 Set High Beam Assistant Defaukt to Automatic on (is for F10/F11 but worth checking as most settings are the same as F25)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
BMWs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Excited to start coding once my cable arrives! This will be my first time coding a BMW but have used VAG-COM to code my Audi A4 with many changes. Question, can you use this software to read fault (check engine) codes or reset service intervals, etc like with VAG? Also I don't see the seat belt chime disable on the cheat sheet if someone can post. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWs View Post
Excited to start coding once my cable arrives! This will be my first time coding a BMW but have used VAG-COM to code my Audi A4 with many changes. Question, can you use this software to read fault (check engine) codes or reset service intervals, etc like with VAG? Also I don't see the seat belt chime disable on the cheat sheet if someone can post. Thanks!
Do a search for the F30 cheat sheet, pretty much the same as F25 and 3 pages of codes (rather than the 1 for F25).
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... I don't see the seat belt chime disable on the cheat sheet if someone can post. Thanks!
I didnt list Seat Belt chimes as it didnt work on many X3 versions, reason is not yet known. In one case a visit to dealer was needed.

The list included in my post is for beginners to start and get confidence first before venturing into other features. I purposely kept the list very short.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Quote:
Excited to start coding .............
That was the purpose of the thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

April1, is it possible to make the clock time easier to read in the Nav screen thru coding? With the grey background it is not easy to see. Maybe make it bolder and/or change the grey background.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #19
flexfft
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3er

Is it possible to disable the side marker lights through any of these coding options? (the amber lights on the side of the xenons that always stay on). If someone that is going through this now could confirm it would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #20
ingook
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Thank you very much for your great guide!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
scs-X3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Thanks for your work, this helped clear up and simplify the instructions on the F30 board.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #22
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Thanks mgoblue62 for suggesting better descriptions in few steps, I updated them.

More such suggestions are welcome.

The purpose for the post is:
  1. Simplify the procedure for coding
  2. All at one place
  3. Software installation through click of a button
  4. Automatic backup with date time stamp
Appreciate 0