BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion » BMW Reports U.S. June Sales - Up 11.3 percent year-to-date

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
6713
Rep
16,678
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Post BMW Reports U.S. June Sales - Up 11.3 percent year-to-date

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Reports U.S. June Sales - Up 11.3 percent year-to-date
26
COMMENTS

BMW Group U.S. Reports June 2012 Sales

03.07.2012

BMW brand up 11.3 percent year-to-date

MINI brand up 7.5 percent, new year-to-date record

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – July 3, 2012… The BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported June sales of 27,720 vehicles, an increase of 3.2 percent from the 26,865 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, BMW Group is up 10.5 percent on sales of 158,563 in the first six months of 2012 compared to 143,521 in the same period in 2011.

“The June numbers continue the solid, consistent growth we predicted but, most important, the first six months of the year are setting the stage for even better results ahead,” said Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO, BMW of North America, LLC. “Demand is strong though we’ve been constrained by new model ramp up but supply will soon catch up in the second half of the year.”

BMW Brand Sales

Sales of BMW brand vehicles increased 0.4 percent in June for a total of 21,725 compared to 21,637 vehicles sold in June, 2011. Year-to-date, the BMW brand is up 11.3 percent on sales of 126,504 compared to 113,705 sold in the first six months of 2011.

In June, best performing vehicles included the 5 Series, up 23.1 percent to 5,374 units; and the 6 Series, up 105.8 percent to 642 units; and the Sports Activity Vehicle segment (X3, X5 and X6), up 21.5 percent to 7,489 units.

BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles

In June, sales of BMW used vehicles (including certified pre-owned and pre-owned) increased 5.4 percent to 13,489 vehicles from the 12,801 vehicles sold in June 2011. January through June, BMW used vehicle sales are up 3.5 percent on volume of 82,281 compared to 79,511 in the same period of 2011.

MINI Brand Sales

MINI USA reported sales of 5,995 automobiles in June, an increase of 14.7 percent from the 5,228 sold in June 2011. Year-to-date, MINI sales in the U.S. are up 7.5 percent on volume of 32,059 compared to 29,816 in the first six months of 2011.

“Here we are at the midpoint of 2012 with MINI achieving record sales in June and in the first half of the year,” said Jim McDowell, Vice President, MINI USA. “Tomorrow we launch the nationwide MINI Takes the States – 16 states, 13 cities – the greatest rally in our fabled history. It’s a wonderful time to be MINI.”

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 9.13.52 AM.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  56.7 KB


Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Iron Man
Captain
Iron Man's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
636
Posts

 
Drives: '13 128i Alpinweiß/Korallenrot
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

So why the -26.4% drop in 3-series sales?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
vladberca
Brigadier General
vladberca's Avatar
Romania
39
Rep
3,788
Posts

 
Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Craiova

iTrader: (0)

The critical point for BMW NA in this moment is the new 3 series' sales.

I don t know exactly why, but it's strange how these news are presented: only the good points are underlined, the negative aspects are kept closed

With this trend is possible to have BMW on third place at the end of the year, after Mercedes and Lexus... Also Audi become stronger day by day!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
simianspeedster
Captain
17
Rep
608
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

iTrader: (0)

I'm not trying to be a downer, but I think BMW has a trend to worry about here. I said the same thing last month and it still applies:

I'm worried that BMW has jeopardized the 3 Series, their core car and their traditional volume leader. In May, 3 Series sales were down 22% year over year with a brand new sedan design in the dealer showrooms (remember, sedans are the volume leading body style within the volume leading 3 Series) -- that was a very bad sign for the F30 and BMW in general. Now we see that June was also a bad month for the 3 Series.

I'm not buying the arguments about constrained supply -- you can search cars.com and find plenty of available F30 328i Sedans for sale in almost every region (335i Sedans seem a bit rare, but they always are relative to the 328i).

I believe the lines strategy for the F30 and the uncompetitive equipment packing is coming back to haunt BMW. The F30 feels like a bridge too far -- too much technology and not enough traditional BMW feel to justify the premium pricing. BMW has adjusted the equipment packages to some extent for MY2013, but the savings are not substantial. I believe they're going to need to do more to prop up sales.

Here in Southern California, I see new C250s everywhere, but I'm not seeing many new F30s -- last month I noted that I'd only 3 spotted so far in the previous 3 months. In June, I spotted 2 more new 3 Series sedans and far more new C Class sedans. I'm also seeing a larger number of new C Class coupes than expected and almost no new 3 Series Coupes. My concern is that the F30 is looking like an execution mistake on BMW's part and sales of the remaining E9X body styles are also suffering because of age.

And now, to make things worse, BMW has added the M-Sport package. The F30 packaging strategy is woefully overcomplicated, so much so that BMW's online configurator tool breaks repeatedly when you try to configure a car that supposely is allowable by the MY2013 order guide. Everything on the F30 has gotten so complicated that the software engineers probably couldn't find a way to implement the rules!

Overall, not good news on the passenger car side. SUVs are picking up some of the slack, but I don't think many SUV sales are coming at the expense of BMW's passenger cars -- I am firmly convinced that BMW is losing sales to competitors.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
simianspeedster
Captain
17
Rep
608
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
I don t know exactly why, but it's strange how these news are presented: only the good points are underlined, the negative aspects are kept closed
I know we all wish for full disclosure, but this is a press release from BMW so you can expect them to shine their light on the bright spots and gloss over the bad news. Nothing to see here, folks!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
rayusaFL
Private First Class
6
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i (Alpine White)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster
I'm not trying to be a downer, but I think BMW has a trend to worry about here. I said the same thing last month and it still applies:

I'm worried that BMW has jeopardized the 3 Series, their core car and their traditional volume leader. In May, 3 Series sales were down 22% year over year with a brand new sedan design in the dealer showrooms (remember, sedans are the volume leading body style within the volume leading 3 Series) -- that was a very bad sign for the F30 and BMW in general. Now we see that June was also a bad month for the 3 Series.

I'm not buying the arguments about constrained supply -- you can search cars.com and find plenty of available F30 328i Sedans for sale in almost every region (335i Sedans seem a bit rare, but they always are relative to the 328i).

I believe the lines strategy for the F30 and the uncompetitive equipment packing is coming back to haunt BMW. The F30 feels like a bridge too far -- too much technology and not enough traditional BMW feel to justify the premium pricing. BMW has adjusted the equipment packages to some extent for MY2013, but the savings are not substantial. I believe they're going to need to do more to prop up sales.

Here in Southern California, I see new C250s everywhere, but I'm not seeing many new F30s -- last month I noted that I'd only 3 spotted so far in the previous 3 months. In June, I spotted 2 more new 3 Series sedans and far more new C Class sedans. I'm also seeing a larger number of new C Class coupes than expected and almost no new 3 Series Coupes. My concern is that the F30 is looking like an execution mistake on BMW's part and sales of the remaining E9X body styles are also suffering because of age.

And now, to make things worse, BMW has added the M-Sport package. The F30 packaging strategy is woefully overcomplicated, so much so that BMW's online configurator tool breaks repeatedly when you try to configure a car that supposely is allowable by the MY2013 order guide. Everything on the F30 has gotten so complicated that the software engineers probably couldn't find a way to implement the rules!

Overall, not good news on the passenger car side. SUVs are picking up some of the slack, but I don't think many SUV sales are coming at the expense of BMW's passenger cars -- I am firmly convinced that BMW is losing sales to competitors.
Damn!!! Very well said!!
I couldn't agree with you more.
I'm in Orlando and I have seen ONLY 1 F30 so far. (328i)
C250 is all over the place as well!!
But, I have to admit that no matter what's going on regarding sales figures, I can't wait to get my car next month!!!
Also, you get what you pay for!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
VaderWagon
New Member
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Black Sport Wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maplewood, NJ

iTrader: (0)

I also noticed a total absence of the new model in both LA and NJ....both huge BMW markets. It's really weird actually after months of availability. Doesn't bode well at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
VaderWagon
New Member
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Black Sport Wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maplewood, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
I don t know exactly why, but it's strange how these news are presented: only the good points are underlined, the negative aspects are kept closed
I know we all wish for full disclosure, but this is a press release from BMW so you can expect them to shine their light on the bright spots and gloss over the bad news. Nothing to see here, folks!
Virtually every public company in any type of business does this. In this case, the omission of 3 Series commentary stands out like a sore thumb and tells the whole story.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #9
vladberca
Brigadier General
vladberca's Avatar
Romania
39
Rep
3,788
Posts

 
Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Craiova

iTrader: (0)

BMW has quite a lot to recover in the second part of the year.

Maybe with the X1 finally released for the US market they will be back on top
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
TheBingoBalls
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
19
Rep
1,816
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i, R56 MINI Cooper
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

It doesn't excuse the dropping sales of the 3-Series but I remember reading somewhere (trying to find it) that some dealers are having inventory issues. Again that doesn't excuse the 20%+ drop in 3-Series sales.

But sales in the F30 in the GTA are starting to show. I have seen at least 10+ (only one 335 lol).

Like someone said above, I think introducing the lines has affected sales a bit. With the E90, you had a slew of options from exterior to interior colors/materials/trims. With the F30, you really have no choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
BMWCali's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
1,208
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Porsche
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: U.S.A.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man
So why the -26.4% drop in 3-series sales?
Where do you see the 26.4% drop in 3 series sales? Anyone know how many 3 Series BMW sold in May and June? Also, anyone know how many new 3 Series they sold in all of 2011?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
MI6
The World is Not Enough
MI6's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
1,063
Posts

 
Drives: Aston DBS-R
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Skyfall

iTrader: (0)

It's obvious why the drop................

Stiff competition from the C-Klasse (still can't believe it).

Price point.

And......... waaaaay too generic looks for a supposedly sporty sedan.

The new F30 looks to similar to something from Japan, almost Toyota-ish- especially from the back- a-la Camrylike.......... I hear this all the time from people in the Los Angeles market.

The E90 though older had much sportier looks and stood out- even with its suspect interior quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
midlifecrisis
Captain
13
Rep
698
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 - IB/ExBB
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

The "Lines" have to go. I'm not going to spend over 50 grand on a car and not get exactly what I want. They've got a lot of nerve telling me what I can have.

The more I think about this, the more ticked off I get.

They also need to read David E. Davis' article on the 2002 from Car and Driver in 1968 and remember where they came from. I'm not interested in buying a Lexus, and BMW seems to be getting too close for comfort.
__________________
2008 E90 M3 - Dinan Stage 3 and BBS CH's
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite)
2012 Mini Cooper (wife's)
1991 325iX (sold - gone but not forgotten!)
2014 X5 35d (Performance Center delivery May '14)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
VaderWagon
New Member
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Black Sport Wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maplewood, NJ

iTrader: (0)

It seems that BMW is trying to be Mercedes, luxury vs Ultimate Driving Machine. Unfortunately MB is much better at that game. And MB is becoming more sporty and aggressive looking along the way. I've had 3 BMW's, but I suspect my 2012 3 may be the last. So unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
darksilkx1
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
253
Posts

 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

What are the odds? Just got one reading this on Motortrend and then stumbled into this discussion. http://wot.motortrend.com/volkswagen-mercedes-and-audi-experience-record-june-sales-bmw-flat-227109.html

Had a lengthy exchange on here last week with some folks where I explained that since the only F30 line I find attractive - M Sport is pricing out close to an Audi A6 at 53k, I think its common sense to step back and reevaluate my options much as love the roundel.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
VaderWagon
New Member
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Black Sport Wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maplewood, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1
What are the odds? Just got one reading this on Motortrend and then stumbled into this discussion. http://wot.motortrend.com/volkswagen-mercedes-and-audi-experience-record-june-sales-bmw-flat-227109.html

Had a lengthy exchange on here last week with some folks where I explained that since the only F30 line I find attractive - M Sport is pricing out close to an Audi A6 at 53k, I think its common sense to step back and reevaluate my options much as love the roundel.
Your link addresses the 26.4% drop in 3 series June sales. Clearly must be some people defecting to the C Class and A4. Audi is really on a roll, relatively speaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
watrob
Major
watrob's Avatar
Australia
25
Rep
1,496
Posts

 
Drives: MY2013 X5M 50d - White
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane - Australia

iTrader: (0)

Think the 3 series will take awhile to start selling as of the new look but also alot buyers will be waiting for coupes.

Also the 3 series is getting quite large now and the 1 series sells well here.
__________________

X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
rayusaFL
Private First Class
6
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i (Alpine White)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

GET what you want and what you love!!
Some of you made very good points on your posts!! However, at the end of the day, the question is: "Do you want a C class?? Do you want an AUDI??"
I can't care less about their sales performance. I'm literally dying to get my 335i!! It may not be the BEST sports sedan ever, but guess what?? That's the car I want. I love the BMW brand and I have an emotional connection with it.
A brand is a promise!!!
A product is physical.
A brand is NOT a product, a sign or a logo!
A brand is the feeling you get when you use the product.
It is the experience it provides you.
Some people love NIKE and some love ADIDAS?? Which one is the best??? It doesn't matter! The question is "Which one are you emotionally connected to?"
Some may think I'm tripping but that's how I feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #19
simianspeedster
Captain
17
Rep
608
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayusaFL
GET what you want and what you love!!
Some of you made very good points on your posts!! However, at the end of the day, the question is: "Do you want a C class?? Do you want an AUDI??"
I can't care less about their sales performance. I'm literally dying to get my 335i!! It may not be the BEST sports sedan ever, but guess what?? That's the car I want. I love the BMW brand and I have an emotional connection with it.
A brand is a promise!!!
A product is physical.
A brand is NOT a product, a sign or a logo!
A brand is the feeling you get when you use the product.
It is the experience it provides you.
Some people love NIKE and some love ADIDAS?? Which one is the best??? It doesn't matter! The question is "Which one are you emotionally connected to?"
Some may think I'm tripping but that's how I feel.
I respect your perspective, but the concept of branding does very little for me. I've owned a Pontiac, a Mazda, a Mercedes, a few VWs, a few Audis and a few BMWs.

When evaluating cars, nothing matters more to me than the driving experience. We currently have an E92 (mine) and an F30 (my wife's) and IMO the F30 driving experience is a significant step backwards from its predecessor. Add in the unnecessarily complicated and restrictive F30 packaging strategy and the uncompetitive pricing, and I think BMW has seriously missed the mark this time around.

I'm definitely BMW's target market for the F30 but there's very little chance I will select an F30 when my lease is up next spring. I may opt for an E82 before they stop making them (the last of the naturally aspirated BMWs) or I may change brands. BMW is still growing by selling more SUVs, but I think they need to be careful not to lose car enthusiasts like me who used to form the core of the brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
US///M3
Major
23
Rep
1,266
Posts

 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

iTrader: (0)

The problem with the f30 it looks as sporty as a Camry. The sport pack e90 on 162's especially in titanium silver was imo one of the coolest/sportiest looking sedan when it came out.

When i saw the f30 for the first time,i was disappointed i hate to admit it,it might drive nice but the Audi looks much much better. The f10 looks great but drives like a 7 series.

People want a car that handles great but also looks great. Looks is actually more important to most buyers. The f10 is one of the worst handling 5 but probably the most selling,mainly because it looks great in my opinion.
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #21
midlifecrisis
Captain
13
Rep
698
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 - IB/ExBB
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
I respect your perspective, but the concept of branding does very little for me. I've owned a Pontiac, a Mazda, a Mercedes, a few VWs, a few Audis and a few BMWs.

When evaluating cars, nothing matters more to me than the driving experience. We currently have an E92 (mine) and an F30 (my wife's) and IMO the F30 driving experience is a significant step backwards from its predecessor. Add in the unnecessarily complicated and restrictive F30 packaging strategy and the uncompetitive pricing, and I think BMW has seriously missed the mark this time around.

I'm definitely BMW's target market for the F30 but there's very little chance I will select an F30 when my lease is up next spring. I may opt for an E82 before they stop making them (the last of the naturally aspirated BMWs) or I may change brands. BMW is still growing by selling more SUVs, but I think they need to be careful not to lose car enthusiasts like me who used to form the core of the brand.
I couldn't agree more. I've purchased 4 new BMWs and 2 Minis in the last 12 years. I don't mind that they're offering product for non-enthusiasts, but it does bother me that they seem to be drifting too far from the philosophy that built such a loyal following. (Sporting cars with exceptional handling and an orientation toward people who love to drive - combined with great efficiency, comfort, and engineering quality.) This doesn't seem to be built-in to every BMW anymore.

I'm not buying a car for a couple of years, but I'll probably at least look at other brands next time - something I haven't done in a long time.
__________________
2008 E90 M3 - Dinan Stage 3 and BBS CH's
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite)
2012 Mini Cooper (wife's)
1991 325iX (sold - gone but not forgotten!)
2014 X5 35d (Performance Center delivery May '14)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #22
Iron Man
Captain
Iron Man's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
636
Posts

 
Drives: '13 128i Alpinweiß/Korallenrot
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
Where do you see the 26.4% drop in 3 series sales? Anyone know how many 3 Series BMW sold in May and June? Also, anyone know how many new 3 Series they sold in all of 2011?
You have to look at their model by model sales numbers (you need to dig deeper to find it), which they omiited in the overall summary press release.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST