View Single Post
      10-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I think there's some confusion involving "ON" vs. "OFF." Let's not use those terms.

Start the car and press no buttons: all stability and traction control assists are active and in their most restrictive states.

Start the car and press the DSC button once: DSC remains active in its most restrictive state. DTC is activated, which allows for more active and dynamic power application and, in that way, greater traction on loose surfaces in certain low speed conditions (getting stuck in snow, ice, mud, etc.) where moderate wheelspin is needed. Driving stability is somewhat limited at higher speeds.

Start the car and hold the DSC button for up to 10 seconds: DTC is activated and DSC is deactivated. This provides for limited driving stability at all speeds, but greater traction on loose surfaces where momentum and moderate wheelspin are needed. However, with DSC deactivated, some of the traction advantages of DTC are undermined, readying the car for the track more than the low-speed beaten path (I advise you don't go off the beaten path in a BMW).

DTC can be activated in any Dynamic Driving Control setting (Normal and Sport), but is automatically activated when Sport+ is selected; these rules apply in D, DS, and M. Those without Dynamic Driving Control can activate DTC and deactivate DSC at any time as well.

Last edited by xDrive35i; 10-18-2011 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0