06-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz681 View Post
This sounds like a scam. However, if we assume for a moment that it isn't, how is it not covered under BMW's warranty and maintenance programs?

From BMW's USA web site:

We cover all factory-recommended maintenance at no charge for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear.

Your maintenance costs:

Engine Oil Services: $0
Inspection Services: $0
Wiper Blade Inserts: $0
Brake Pads: $0
Brake Discs: $0

Engine Drive Belts: $0
Brake Fluid Service: $0

BMW's Canadian site doesn't seem to have this same text, but I believe the maintenance program is the same as for the USA. So, in order to charge you, they would need to conclude that the brake/rotor wear is excessive; and, unless you've been taking the vehicle to the track, or you brake with your left foot (those people are always driving around with their brake lights on), then that's very improbable.

Mingstar88, you said the dealer said that the rotors were "just above" the threshold, but you didn't say which threshold (and perhaps they didn't say). The two factors to be evaluated with brakes rotors are thickness and runout (i.e., how warped or uneven they are). The thickness of rotors is not substantially affected during normal use, as it's the brake pads that wear away. Rotors can become warped or uneven for various reasons, but this can usually be resolved by resurfacing them. Resurfacing the rotor removes a thin layer of metal to restore a smooth surface, and this is typically how rotors get thinner. You can usually do this at least a couple of times before the rotors reach their specification for minimum thickness, and then they must be replaced.

Has your dealer specified -- in writing -- what needs to be done, and what are the current specifications of your rotors and pads (thickness and runout for the rotors, just thickness for the pads)? I would require that of them, and be very suspicious if they will not comply. The only reason they would not put it in writing is because they fear you'd do exactly what I'm going to tell you to do, which is take the vehicle to an independent shop or another BMW dealer and have them tell you what your specs are. Indeed, if there is another BMW dealer within reasonable distance, getting a second opinion from them is a good idea.

Another thing to be aware of is that the original software with which the X3 shipped had an error in its algorithm for computing when the rear brakes needed servicing. The error would cause the car to alert for rear brake service too soon. BMW issued an update to fix that, which my dealer applied to my vehicle this past year. My 2011 X3 with over 27,000 miles (43,000 km) has still not reached its first service for the rear brakes (or the fronts, for that matter).
hey thanks for your post.
brake pad and rotors are NOT covered under BMW Canada warranty
brake pad part i understand to replace since it's already 32,500km and as i do drive hard. rotor replacement ticked me off. i wonder if other members have replaced it in a such low mileage as well
Appreciate 0