View Single Post
      10-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
morrisryanc
Wrap anything in bacon and it's instantly better.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 28i M-Sport

Hurricane Sandy Affects Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Wife just called me from the road in our week-old '13 X3 M-Sport. She said all four TPMS (tire pressure monitor sensors) had gone off and the graphic warning was showing 4 tires in yellow. I knew it would be almost impossible for all tires to be low like that at the same time...so I turned to the forums.

My hunch was that since the tires are filled with air, they would be susceptible to pressure losses/gains as a result the drastic temperature change (it's been in the 60s (Fahrenheit) the last several days, but then Hurricane Sandy came and it dropped 25-degrees. Also, the barometric pressure went nuts as a result of the Class-1 hell-raiser.

I found a post from a 3-Series thread that was several years old and it stated that drastic temperature changes or massive changes in barometric pressure can affect the amount of pressure your tires keep. Phew.

The tires of our 1-Series are filled with nitrogen instead of air. I haven't driven it today, but I'm betting the TPMS doesn't go off, as nitrogen isn't affected by temp/pressure changes like regular old air.

Do you live in the area affected by the hurricane? Did you experience an "all four tires are low" warning this morning? Sound off!
WTB: 2021-22 BMW M3 Base | 2020 Porsche 911 S | 2019 VW Tiguan | 2015 Audi A8 L TDI | 2016 Mercedes C300 Sport (Ret.) | 2013 X3 28i ///M Sport (Ret.)| 2012 128i Cabrio (Ret.) | 2009 Yamaha R6 (Ret.) | 2010 Mercedes C300 Sport (Ret.) | 2006 MINI Cooper S (Ret.)
Appreciate 0