View Single Post
      05-29-2022, 02:35 PM   #1
stefertje
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive30D, Mini Cooper

Brake nightmare x3 30d

Hi all,

So, the title says enough.. i own a 3.0 diesel N57 X3, living in Amsterdam.
Really happy with the car, own her this summer 2 years.
Some year ago I replaced the front brakes pads and rotors because the dealer who sold me the car just put cheap pads on worn rotors/discs, also some slight shake in het steering wheel could be felt.
Exchanges the fronts for brembo, decent brand, big name, should be good.
I’m an experienced mechanic, worked for 10 years in car technique and now in offshore wind, I know what I’m doing.
When exchanging the front brakes in noticed quite some rust on the calipers, discs and wheel hubs. Discs didn’t came off by themself.
After bedding in the brake I was noticing more judder/shudder in her car while braking, and steering wheel shake was more noticeable.
Replaced front discs for Textar ones since I had problems with brembo before. Left the pads since they were stil new.
Guess what: after bedding in, shudder/judder noticeable in the car, not 100% clear from the front so replaced rear discs and pads for textar ones.
After bedding in the rears: still noticable with braking. Not sure where is comes from.
Checked the front discs with dial gauge: 0.05 runout left front. This is the max that is allowed. Replaced bearing and wheel hub left front, replaced both discs front, again.
Problem solved you would think: NO. Checked runout on the rears: some runout of 0.04 mm, nog big deal. Just to be 100% sure I have replaced both wheel hub and bearings on the rear, replaced brake discs and pads (again) guess what: still there..
Just ordered a new wheel bearing an hub for right ring, again, to be sure.
Also ordered new discs and pads for front, just to be sure.
This is my second bmw with braken shudder that I cannot find.
I’ve checked gearbox/driveline: while braking putting the gear in neutral: no difference.
Now I have read somewhere on a bmw forum that somebody had problems with brembo front pads and brake shudder. Does anybody had this before?
Anybody has other ideas where to look?

To be honest, I always liked the bmw’s. Their are not other cars as beautiful and good as these ones. Been born and raised with bmw in the family, had bmw bikes when I was little, real crazy but I’m getting a bit fed up with it now.

Anyone has good ideas?

P.s. also still struggling with a coolant issue currently..
Appreciate 0