Thread: Top Gear
View Single Post
      01-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I think that Clarkson et al really don't understand SUVs/SAVs. Based on living in England for 3 years (and really enjoying my time there, it's an absolutely beautiful country), I would agree that this type of vehicle is probably not well suited to the normal UK driver. North Yorkshire farmers, on the other hand, really do need a proper 4WD vehicle and the Land Rovers and such do an admirable job.

Here in Colorado, we needed a vehicle which would do a reasonable job of getting through the snow and handle an occasional dirt/gravel road while providing travel space for 2 and good mileage. We do have winter storms but 99% of our driving is on dry roads. Apparently, these characteristics are widely valued in the US and many other countries, hence the popularity of modern SUVs/SAVs which are somewhere between normal 2WD and true off-road vehicles.

I enjoy Top Gear but recognize that the show's popularity is due in part to Clarkson's irreverent (some might say inflammatory) comments and opinions on a wide range of topics, including BMWs, Porsches, Corvettes, and various ethnicities. Don't take any of it too seriously.
Appreciate 0