09-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Well, I have a retrofitted 6NR on my X3 so I had been using a Y cable instead of a cradle to get BMW Apps and the iPhone Plugin.

So, I took the lightning cable and plugged it directly to the USB port (and the other to my iPhone5) and found that:

BMW Apps seems to work somewhat. I mean, all the apps seemed to work, but audio from Web Radio and MOG came out of the phone and not the car sound system. I could not get the sound to come out of the car sound system. I wonder if this is because the audio for these two using the iPod out audio feature that they say I need to wait for the 8-30 pin adaptor for. By plugging it directly into the USB port and not using the Y cable, I no longer have anything plugging into the Audio/Video 1/8" jack like I did before so perhaps that is the reason and the audio is fed through there?

I hope that is the reason because I use Web Radio A LOT and if it doesn't I'm not going to listen to the audio coming out of the phone. I guess I shot myself in the foot.

As expected, no more Plugin functionality to see the iPod like menus.

I did not try to access the music in the iPhone directly - not sure how I could forget that but since there is no 1/8" jack connection, I knew playing video from my iPhone5 was going to be out since it uses that connection for video.

I can live w/o video from iPhone. However I really hope that the audio issue is corrected by using the adaptor.

I did not try Pandora.. I forgot about that.

When are the adaptors going to be available? Sheesh!
Do you have a retrofit without 6NF? i.e. no cradle and 6NR only via the Y cable? I think you'll have to wait for an updated Y cable. Not sure but I would think they will become available long before the official BMW media adaptor (which took 1 year for iPhone 4)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0