07-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #40
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thanks for the info SCOTT.

I have to say that 400hp sounds surprisingly high for an M Performance version of the N55. If they are really going to get that much power from it, then I have to believe the "S55" will be pushing more than 450hp. In fact, closer to 485hp or so would make more sense. Although we have heard rumors for some time of the N55's successor making 400hp+, so maybe that is what this new M Performance engine will be based upon. Either way, it still seems too close to the M engine.
I meant to put that 400HP is the ceiling for the M.Performance line so expect power under that 400HP limit. The Zagato Concept utilises a tuned N55 to which you can expect a similar variant.
One such concept is the new BMW V8 which takes us up to that 450 hp ceiling - It is not an M version but it does display its own attributes in performance. An M always goes to great lengths to distinguish the details so no two engines are ever the same even though they are closely linked.

Quote:
Not to mention there are rumors of the macan and X4 coming in 2 door body styles, ala RR Evoque...
As far as the X4 is concerned, marketing have decided the car will have to be a five dr in order to have global appeal. I believe Porsche have decided the same.

Quote:
I find it funny that there is no discussion of the Cayenne competing with the X5 even though they are clearly closer in type than the Cayenne and the X6. Same is true from the spy shots I have seen of the Macan when comparing to the X3 or X4. Seems like the Macan will compete against the X3 more than an X4.
It is known in the industry that due to the success of the BMW X6 especially in important growth markets that Porsche are "looking at" a Cayenne Coupe aswell as a Macan Coupe.
Just as Audi have planned Q4 and Q6 Coupes with Mercedes-Benz recently announcing an MLC. The X4 will allow BMW to again lead the introduction of a mid-sized SAC ahead of the competition.

The X4 will also be available in standard four cylinder and six cylinder diesel and petrol engines giving it credible clout especially in the european market.
Where the entry Macan etc will also get VAG sourced four cylinders making the Macan the actual "entry" Porsche , that Porsche actually wants.