01-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrh View Post
Thanks for your input scotta2. If BMW regards mechanical failure from excessive stop-starting as wear and tear not covered under warranty, then there should be a way of optionally setting the system default to off. Is this possible?
I'm not aware of any empirical evidence which could be used to make any judgement on wear characteristics of the many engine components affected by increased stopping and starting. This is obviously new technology and car manufacturers are all squeezing as much miles to the gallon / litre as is possible to suit the green lobby (and of course our pockets). City driving will obviously dramatically increase the number of stop starts so wear will no doubt take place quicker than driving in the country. I have just gotten into the habit of switching it off manually at the start of each journey but there may be a way of de- coding it? There is a rather large thread on this topic and you may want to ask the question there, of course it may be possible for your dealer to do it FOC. There are many forum members who have came to accept and even like the system, it's just not for me and I don't want to be regretting using it one day when the starter just makes a grating noise instead of turning over the engine.