07-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #30
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
I am sure car manufacturers will soon come up with an update to hide/ lock the key data from such thieves
I agree but can you see BMW paying for everyone to get the update? If it's software, they won't want to do it as it takes 4 hours plus just to upgrade one car. If it's hardware, it's even less likely they'll do it. Only new cars will get fixed.

I'm seriously looking at an OBD switch or just manually disconnecting the port or tucking it up behind a dummy port. Will be interested to see what some of the contributors on the PH forum do protect their OBD ports.

The other option is asking BMW to disable or block the free key slots. I think (based on what I've read) they can't add a key if there aren't any free slots without flashing the firmware on the CAS and that takes hours (and probably requires more skill) whereas just adding one key takes about a minute and requires a £100 device any muppet can buy and use. The downside to this is the added cost/inconvenience if you then lose your key. I am going to contact my dealer and see what they say (after denying that there is a problem!)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0