View Single Post
      01-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #39
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

The more option boxes you check, which adds more gadgets, the more potential for a parasitic draw. All batteries across all manufacturers will perform poor in these freezing cold temps. However most cars don't have the logic to kill accessories to ensure you are able to start the vehicle, yay for BMW. At the end of the day though, there are a thousand reasons why a battery may have reduced voltage.

I also think this is just a product of the times. battery technology is always increasing and eventually we'll all probably have smaller, lighter Lithium Ion batteries that perform better in the cold. But at the same time, manufacturers will keep adding new technology that will strain these new batteris. Unfortunately, today our conventional batteries, which are prone to extreme performance loss due to cold, are forced to sit all alone in the cold trunk. The battery location just exasperates the issue.

Regarding the recharge via lighter, I have no idea on a BMW. I've used this method in the past on early 2000 model GM vehicles and it has worked. BMW might have some safety switches in place to prevent this method of recharging. For what it's worth, the charging posts under the hood are very easy to access and well marked.
Appreciate 0