View Single Post
      06-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
K, auto dimming side view mirror are included with the premium pkg which my car has.

I just drove home tonight and didn't notice any glare from the sideview mirrors so maybe the auto dimming is working. That said the interior mirror is a fair bit darker (more dimmed) than the side mirrors.
I believe that the side mirrors dim with the central rearview mirror, which is where the light sensors are located (one on the mirror side facing you and one facing out the front). It would be cool if they dimmed independently based on their own sensors but alas that is not the case. Sometimes when you have someone seated in the center position of the rear seat, they block the light coming from behind which causes the mirrors to remain un-dimmed leaving you high and dry if you've got a car on the side lasering your eyes with their headlights.

Its pretty easy to tell when they're dimmed as they take on a bluish hue. Much easier to tell on the eurospec mirrors since they don't have that plastic border around the mirror glass which obscures the border between the dimming and non-dimming zone.
Appreciate 0