pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BohMotorWorks View Post
I am reading through this thread now, as a recent 2014 F25 owner (1 day ago) with a 105k miles.

I know that is "dead man walking territory" but this car will get ~4k miles on it per year for the next year and future years.

My question is: Should I pay for the work now ($4,000) quote from a BMW indy, or is it possible that the timing chain slips, vehicle shutdown.. and then I have a clear sign that yes its time to spend. Another way to ask the question, is how bad is the damage when it breaks? I asked an Indy mechanic this, and he said "oh its fine, I do the repair timing work all the time, and get the customers back up and running". Which to me this is the average American reality. A normal person with 90k miles is not pouring over these forums to see what preventative maintenance they should invest in, instead they wait for it to break, and then decide. The mechanic told me "its a crap shoot" he has seen them slip at 70k, and has a customer whos never slipped and shes at 190k miles. he recommended changing oil frequently which I agree with (10k is BS, but its marketing that sells cars)
Playing Russian roulette, is your mechanic going to pay for another engine if yours self destructs due to a timing system failure
Appreciate 0