View Single Post
      07-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw2002 View Post
I have 2015 X3 and you will not be able to leave the car running if you have the key fob with you. Once you leave the car with your key fob even a couple of feet away will kill the engine. If you leave the key fob in the car to keep it running then you will not be able to lock it.
I almost regularly run the car without a key fob and never have had a problem - let me explain.

I live in an apartment building. In the winter my routine almost every morning is to start the car and turn on the heat, turn on the steering wheel/seat heaters, and turn on the rear window heater. I then exit/lock it and walk a significant distance across the parking lot to dump the trash. I never had a problem with the engine stopping on its own. I also step out of the car, once its started, to clean the night's snow and ice off of it and again the engine has never stopped. However, in all cases, as soon as I step out of the car a message appears on the display with a chime stating the car cannot be restarted. Yesterday, my wife and I forgot something in our apartment, I sat in the car with the A/C on while she took my key and went back up to our apartment. As soon as the key fob passed through the door the message and chime appeared but the engine did not stop. I even drove into the parking lot next door to see something while she was away to see something and had no problem at all.

In other words, IMO, if your engine is stopping when the fob leaves the immediate presence of the vehicle something is wrong as that would present potential safety issues and I doubt highly BMW or any other car maker would design a car that way. Certainly it wont restart if stopped but it will not shutdown on its own.
Appreciate 0