View Single Post
      07-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

"I look forward to seeing how the next generation X3 measures up to the competition."

The fact that the new X3 might be a Hybrid might indeed prevent me from buying it. I am done with the poor performance the vehicles with an economy theme default to. This might seem to contradict most peoples opinion so let me explain.

I buy BMWs because, among other attributes, I want a higher level of performance although I certainly recognize my X3 SUV wont perform like my Z3. I do not want a $60K car that performs like an economy car. My experience with my new 2016 28i X3 has been significantly diminished because of the pathetic 4 cylinder enginge and the default to "Comfort Mode". It actually lugs in comfort mode. Every time I start the car I put it in Sport mode and, although a big improvement, it still does not have the performance of my old 2011 28i X3. In addition, I see abosolutely no improvement in economy with exactly the same driving profile as I achieved with my 2011. A friend just purchased a Lexus Hybrid and also has her $60K car default into a piss poor economy mode when it is started although it does get great economy. So, I am very weary of any new vehicle with an ecomomy theme, as would be the case with a hybrid. I also find it difficult getting used to not feeling and hearing an engine start.

In other words, my new X3 has significantly sacrificed performance for the goal of gaining a few MPG's which I have not seen anyway. I cannot imagine why anyone buying a car in this price range would be concerned about such a small advertised increase in economy.

If the new X3 does not default to economy mode and performance is at least equivalent to my 2011 28i X3, it will probably be the eventual replacement for my 2016 X3. If it performs like my current X3 there is not a snowball's chance in hell I will pay $60K+ for it. Every time I forget to push the sport button and feel it lug it just reinfiorces how dissappointed I am.
Appreciate 1