10-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #9
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
I have always done my own oil changes on family-owned cars, as much to feel comfortable that the job has been done properly with the correct oil as for any other reason. With advancing years I am less inclined to jack the car and crawl underneath
I am now in the same position. For 40 years I used to put the car on ramps (still have them) or the car club hoist/ramp. For the last 12 years (yes I am that old) I have owned BMWs and the oil change has been part of the servicing package. Now that I am not doing high mileage I am going back to doing an interim oil change at about 8k miles from the last one. I do have the 5 year servicing package that has 2 years to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
but this year I have been really pleased with the small pump I bought to do the job from the top of the engine bay. I found I not only avoided getting dirty I also had less trouble with the old oil, as the pump can discharge straight into the oil container retained from the last car I did. Once the old oil seemed to have stopped flowing, I added half a litre of fresh synthetic to the top of the engine to help draw out the last few ccs of old oil. I will probably do it the hard way every couple of changes, just to avoid the sump plug seizing up. 5 litres ll04 plus a filter cost about 40 UKP
Which pump did you purchase? Where from and the cost?

Thanks.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0