View Single Post
      04-26-2024, 12:30 PM   #17
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36M3 View Post
I own a 2012 X3 35i. You need to get a thorough PPI with someone who knows these vehicles. Things I would want to know:

- Has the valve cover been replaced yet? If not it needs to be as the PCV diaphragms go bad in them and oil gets into your intake

- Has the transfer case, differential and transmission fluids been changed? The transfer case fluid if not changed wears a thrust bearing inside the case and can create a noise at this mileage if it wasn’t maintained.

- When was the oil filter housing gasket and oil thermostat gasket changed? Common leak points on these.

- Has the intake manifold to intercooler pipe been replaced? They always break

- Have the belt, tensioner and idler pulley been replaced?

- Have the lower control arms with the large rubber thrust bushing been replaced along with the lower ball joint at the hub? If not plan on having to do this.

- Has the radiator overflow ball, the small plastic line leading to it and the level indicator in the bottom of it been replaced?

- Last time the water pump and thermostat was changed as they last about 60k miles

- Has the oil pan gasket and oil level sensor gasket been changed recently? If not it’s due and is not an insignificant job.

- Has the Mickey Mouse hose been replaced? It’s a common failure point and will lead to loosing all coolant.

If these items have not been done recently you must set aside a decent amount to get them done or do it yourself. It’s a great driving vehicle but requires you stay on top of things. In addition to the above I’ve also had to walnut blast the intake valves, [...]
Wow- I’m impressed with this summary and a little worried too. Is most of the later items due to the 35i model?

I agree about the PPI. It’s why the car is 10,000.00- I’m realistic and realize it’s going to be a car you have to fix occasionally.

I’m not handy- so this would have to go to a shop.
Appreciate 0