View Single Post
      05-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

US, maintanence costs?

okay, I know BMW has the free maintanence, BUT is everything really free? I haven't owned a BMW in a few years and I don't know if they have changed anything.

In the past I know the only thing you paid for was tires!
things like wheel alignment, brake pads, rotors, all fluids were supposed to be included if under the warranty and free maintanence period. You basically would never have them even attempt to charge you when brought in for a problem or service. Is this still true?

The reason I ask is because a few years ago we bought a LR2 when Land Rover was still offering "free maintanence" and they told us everything but brakes, tires and alignments were covered. But at 30,000 miles they were telling us we needed new REAR brake pads (not front) and the steering fluid was dirty and that wasn't covered! I knew the rear brake pads were fine (they try to take advantage of people with cars like that thinking they will just say okay and pay, and even told my wife they can't believe she wouldn't have them replaced since we have kids in the car!) but the truth is they put smaller pads on the rear so they wear evenly with the front, so even though they were down to 4mm, percentage wise compared to the new pads, they were still okay (and still are at 35,000 miles, I know I have to change them soon though).

Yesterday at Mercedes (I bought a maintanence plan for $1500 when I bought my C63) they told me the Service B of $560 was included but they "recommended" I change my brake fluid (at 18K miles) $99 get my wheels aligned $225 (can get that done anywhere for $100) and have a fuel service done (cleaning out fuel lines or something like that?) $200. They said its not included with the maintanence plan I bought and were only recommendations.

So does BMW do that? say things aren't included like brake fluid or recommend you do something that wouldn't be included? I am so sick of this BS when you buy an expensive car that is supposed to have included maintanence or you buy a maintanence plan and they try to still charge you for things. Seems like other manufacturers try to dable in free maintanence programs but always have fine print (that never appears anywhere). My wife never wanted a BMW (she grew up hating them because of the people she knew that drove them) but she is finally agreeing to buy one (X3) because of the maintanence issues we have been having with our last 2 new cars.
Appreciate 0