06-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz681 View Post
Yes, you should follow the instructions in the owner's manual. However, there seems to be a discrepancy between what my owner's manual says and what Lotus7's says.

I took delivery of my 35i last Friday. Page 120 covers the break-in period, and it says to keep revs below 4500 RPM (rather than 4000). Also, there is no mention in my manual regarding the need to avoid driving extended periods at a constant speed. While other cars I have purchased have included such a warning, I see nothing about that in the X3's owner's manual.

I thouight there might be a discrepancy between the printed manual, the electronic one in the car, and the PDF version available from BMW's web site. However, all three were consistent regarding break-in advice.
You are correct, the manual does say 4500 (my memory slipped 500 rpm . The no constant speed driving is just good practice when breaking in any vehicle to spread the wear patterns out uniformly by modulating speed and loading on the gears and alll the moving parts.
Appreciate 0