View Single Post
      02-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #29
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX3 View Post
Well, I've just had an interesting discussion with my local dealer about changing from runflats to standard tyres! They reckon that my alloys are designed to take runflats and that sticking standard tyres on them wouldn't be advised. They said there is a small chance they could pop off at any time causing sudden loss of air!
This is the first time I've heard of this, especially when some of you guys have already gone ahead and had this done.
I have an msport with the standard UK 19" alloys.

I'm wondering whether they aren't interested in doing the work?
As others have said absolute rubbish. Yes its true the wheels/rim are designed for runflat tyres. The rim is designed to hold on to the runflat to stop it coming off the rim when the tyre is flat. But there is absolutely no problems with fitting conventional runflat tyres to these rims. I switched out the runflats for non-runflats 5.5 years and 120,000 km ago and no problems. When I took delivery of my car in 2011, I drove straight from the BMW dealer to a local tyre retailer to swap out the tyres. The tyre retailer had been recommended to me by my BMW salesperson.

What doesn't work is the other way around - ie you can't replace conventional tyres with runflats unless the rims are specially designed to take runflats.

Very disappointed that this sort of nonsense - or dare I say "alternative facts" - are still being put about these days.

Tony
Appreciate 1