10-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
Actually, according to simple math, bigger knob would make it even worse. At least how much does the outer rim of the knob move in distance compared to how much volume changes.

What it needs is smaller knob or longer "ratio" inside, sort of highway gear after the knob and before the potentiometer.
Without wishing to labour the point (I'm about to) my point is that the reason the knob requires so much turning is because its small diameter would not promote small granular changes to the volume.

If it were larger diameter, they could allow one full rotation from 0 to max and it would still be granular enough to allow small changes at the same time.

One rotation from 0 to max on a small diameter knob would not be granular enough and that is the problem and I guess why it behaves like it does. If they changed it to one rotation and kept the size the same people would complain they couldn't turn the volume up gently.

Look at any decent amp: big volume knob, 0 to max, about one rotation

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0