View Single Post
      08-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
fastxl
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Popping/Clunk,Clunk,Clunk noise after brake pad replacement

2016 X3 N20, 52k miles.

I decided to replace front brake pads as they were starting to give me the "grinding" sound that I have read about. There was still plenty of pad, but when you came to a hard stop it sounded like they were "grinding".

Replaced with Zimmerman Rotors and Akebono EUR ceramic brake pads. Did a full "bed" in and everything seemed great.

All the sudden after 2 days of driving I hear a "Clunk, clunk, clunk" when coming to a slow stop (from like 20-30mph at a basic neighborhood stop sign). The "Clunk, clunk, clunk" is similar to if you let a car sit for a long time and rotors rust and only one spot is not rusty where the brake pads are, if that make sense. So initially I thought I put something together wrong, check everything out and all good. I have done brake on several BMW’s before. Then I thought maybe they didn’t get “bedded in” properly, but the rotors were clean, and no signs of brake pad deposited on the rotor. So I went to drive it some more, made several stops like bed in procedure and no noise. Now after 1500 miles, the noise is back. Jack the car up looking at ball joints, sway bar end links, and nothing seems a miss. The noise is intermittent, but seems to be happening more and more. I think its suspension noise, but could it be brake pads? Ball joint going bad. I am at a loss.
Appreciate 0