View Single Post
      10-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #72
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Continental Sport Contact 5's, they got noisy after after a few months, then Conti Winter Sports (something like T810?) and they were OK but not a very good snow tyre, compared with the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D I had on before they were very poor, and they were on a Quattro Audi where as the Winter Sport 3Ds were on a RWD Merc.

I then got my E350 and it came with Continental Sport Contacts again, they were fine for the first 3000 miles and then suddenly got really noisy, mine was an estate and the noise in the rear was ridiculous, I ended up putting a duvet in there to suppress the noise, it helped but you could still here massive tyre roar. I swapped over for Michelins and the noise was gone.

When I removed them they were really cracked, both sidewalls and between the treads. They were sent to Continental and they said I had left them out in the sun too long!! FFS!!!??
It is a car, and we are in the UK, hardly the sunniest place on the planet!

I will never buy another set of Contis again, at the time I did loads of research and so many people had the same problem, and many said they hadn't thought about it, just presumed all tyres get noisy as they get a few thousand miles in.

I had the P7 non run flat on my 17s on the X3, a very nice tyre.

The most impressive winter for me so far is the Dunlop Winter Sport 4Ds, ultra quiet, ultra comfy and so impressive in the snow. I did 600km in 6 hours from Dijon to Calais in pretty deep stuff, the two inside lanes were mostly covered in drifts, and while X5s and Q7s etc. were pulling over I whizzed passed them all in my RWD Merc.
Appreciate 0